Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death Thread

2. Likes rockgremlin, DiscGo, Absolute Gravity liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

July 15, 1993. Two scout leaders die descending Kolob in high flow.
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/kolob1.htm

5. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    A person died in a flashflood in Quandary Canyon. I think May 1998. As far as I know it never made the news or was publicised.

Also:

September 17 1965: 5 deaths in the Zion Narrows due to flash flood

September 5 1998: 1 death of a 10 year old girl Ice Cream Canyon due to flash flood

May 13 2001: 1 death of 10 year old boy swept off the trail in a flash flood. Canyon Overlook of Pine Creek in Zion. Don't know if you want to list it under the canyoneering deaths.

See also here for more incidences:

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/flash_zion.htm
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    A person died in a flashflood in Quandary Canyon. I think May 1998. As far as I know it never made the news or was publicised.

Also:

September 17 1965: 5 deaths in the Zion Narrows due to flash flood

September 5 1998: 1 death of a 10 year old girl Ice Cream Canyon due to flash flood

May 13 2001: 1 death of 10 year old boy swept off the trail in a flash flood. Canyon Overlook of Pine Creek in Zion. Don't know if you want to list it under the canyoneering deaths.

See also here for more incidences:

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/flash_zion.htm
    Thanks Scott!

I'd like limit the list to technical canyoneering adventures. Slips and falls, arch swing stunts and non-tech flash floods aren't that educational.

Stories and names are a must. They make the events more 'real'. I'd be very interested in an article (or personal account), date and name for the Quandary accident.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

11. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Good idea Bob for a thread. Perhaps Tom and Shane will do the same thing on their sites. At the very least, having an exhaustive list - will show beginners and remind veterans that you can't assume all is well in Zion land. The point should be to instill *SAFETY* and change the attitude of *just because you can hike, means you can be a canyoneer and get out of any obstacle unprepared*
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

13. Likes Mountaineer, blueeyes, Slot Machine liked this post
    August 12, 1997 - Flash flood in Antelope Canyon. 11 die, one survives.
    Here is a more complete write up with video
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/flash_antelope.htm

April 26th, 2003 - Aron Ralston
    Aaron told me this is the most accurate write up he read before his book came out
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/bluejohn2.htm
    The book
    http://www.amazon.com/127-Hours-Betw...ywords=ralston

Two death's in the Lower Black Box
    July 11, 1999 and August 28, 1999
    Both are detailed here: http://climb-utah.com/SRS/lbb.htm

There is a nice list (but incomplete) of Utah flash flood death's dating back to 1863
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/projects...ood_deaths.php

Maybe we should just reserve a spot for the meet-up groups on this list now.

15. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Blog Entries
    You have the Mildred Falls fatality in California in 2011 - Matthew Pack, 250+ water rappel - died of mechanical asphyxiation.

I know I know...it's not "Canyoneering" at all according to Bootboy and Scott P - it's just a rappel down a giant waterfall.

And you have another Subway death a few decades back (I can't remember time stamp exactly?) where a guy was rappelling at some location and the anchor blew out and fell like 50 or 60 feet. Something like that. Scott P was the one who told me about that one.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

18. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    You have the Mildred Falls fatality in California in 2011 - Matthew Pack, 250+ water rappel - died of mechanical asphyxiation.

I know I know...it's not "Canyoneering" at all according to Bootboy and Scott P - it's just a rappel down a giant waterfall.
    Actually, I haven't been, but I thought Mildred Falls was a canyoneering route? Doesn't the route follow a canyon? If so, a route that follows a canyon = canyoneering.

And you have another Subway death a few decades back (I can't remember time stamp exactly?) where a guy was rappelling at some location and the anchor blew out and fell like 50 or 60 feet.
    Official reports say 30 feet. October 10 1992; David Bryant. A small tree he was rapping off pulled out of the ground.

Stories and names are a must. They make the events more 'real'. I'd be very interested in an article (or personal account), date and name for the Quandary accident.
    As far as I know, there never has been an article of any kind on the incident. I don't recall the name of the victim (whom I never met), only the survivor. The survivor was Leslie Clayton whom went on a trip to South America with us.

I believe the death occurred Memorial Day weekend, 1998, but I don't know which day of the weekend.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Tom's book on Zion also mentions several accidents in Zion.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

20. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

The Death Thread

[QUOTE=jman;543620]

/QUOTE]

Sensitive much?

Thanks for the shout out anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    The point should be to instill *SAFETY* and change the attitude of *just because you can hike, means you can be a canyoneer and get out of any obstacle unprepared*
    That is not the point of this thread. I'm building it as a resourse page for those that would like to learn from the mistakes/misfortune of others. People can take from it what they would like. Preachin' ain't welcome in this library.

Thanks for the links and references, Ice, Scott and Jman. For any more contributions PLEASE add a link.

"Somthin' happened to someone in Whatchacallit Canyon about 1993ish" is not a good example to learn from, even though it was a canyoneering accident.
    _____

A shout out to @Bo_Beck - because of your vast SAR background, you probably know more about the history of Zion accidents than anyone. Is there a accident report archive online that you are aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Im too lazy too look up a link to it, but there was the accident in Insomnia, 2 years ago I think, where the guy lost control on the 320' rap and fell. Not fatal, but it shold have been!

24. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Mr Lazy Adam,

THAT is good one to learn from, I'll dig it up. Thanks!

Interesting @Slot Machine . You and I must be on the same wavelength. I thought about trying to compile an accident timeline from just 2013. There seems to be quite a few from this year alone. At lease a dozen posted on bogley alone. That thread would be interesting as well if someone wants to take a crack at it. "2013 Accidents" or something...

Acca,

Hmmm... yeah, this year has been inspiring. I'm just trying to compile accident reports that people can learn from.

There isn't much to be learned from someone slipping and falling off a cliff, but, stay on the cliff.

A broken ankle thread would teach zero lessons. See what I'm saying?

I gotcha. You are going for a higher level of fubars. Maybe a "2013 Rescues" thread would be more appropriate? I believe those can educate too.

Respectfully, I disagree.

A broken ankle in The Subway that requires rescue teaches nothing. That could happen to anyone. However, my brother-in-law getting out of Sandthrax after falling from the crux teaches many lessons.

That fall would have crippled or killed a fair percentage of people. I should include that...

I just figured it would be interesting to see a timeline of the rescues this year, regardless if it teaches or not. There seems to be more than previous years. I could be wrong about that. Anyway, carry on!

31. Likes jman liked this post
    Here is the Bogley thread for the Insomnia rescue if you would like to add it to the link to the article:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...reek-Canyon-AZ