Thread: Middle Earth - Canyoneering in Maui

Middle Earth - Canyoneering in Maui

Canyoneering in Maui is a dream come true for me! I can hardly imagine a more paradisiacal place on earth, than the rain forest on the road to Hana. That is where I was blessed to go canyoneering!

A few months ago when I my vacation plans were solidified, I contacted a Maui local (Thanks @Renatomic808 ) who does canyoneering. He was awesome to meet up with. He was VERY helpful and kind. When I arrived at his home the morning of our canyoneering adventure, he greeted me with a warm Aloha and Hawaiian embrace.

Before I knew it we were on our way to the rain forest of Maui, where the canyons are covered with foliage unknown to many canyoneers like me. I was told we were descending into Middle Earth! Even the name of the canyon inspired AWE in me. I was totally stoked to see what surprises this canyon had in store.(And let me tell you, it had some GLORIOUS surprises!)

Middle Earth! The end, the canyon definitely lived up to its name! I felt like I was in the beautiful paradise that was written about in Juels Vern's Journey to the Center of the Earth! The only thing missing was the massive animal life! (wrong island I guess haha)

This is the entrance to the Canyon. It is literally right of the side of the road. Awesome way to start a canyon!

Bottom of the first rappel. This is Ren managing the ropes.

Come cool cascades at the beginning.

200 foot waterfalls look WAY different here in Maui! LOL... ok, ok. not completely true, BUT this is one amazing rappel.
    Me at the top of the 200' rap. Just happy to be along for the ride!
    If ya look close you can see Ren coming down the waterfall.

Just chilaxin' at the bottom of the huge waterfall rappel. what a way to wait for everyone to get down! Perfect :)

yet another awesome waterfall rappel. This one drops ya into a neat pool. it kind of tucks its way undernead the cliff a little bit :)

WHAT!? No one told me that there were cool arches in Maui!? What an amazing surprise! I was blown away when I started down the drop and realized that I would be rapping next to a double stacked arch! What a treat!

A kind of subway esque section. Very very beautiful!

Part of the hike out. This exit was unlike any other canyon exit I have ever done. to get to this road I had to ascend up 400' of rope. I hand lined most of it, but some parts you had to use ascenders. Yeah, that was a first for me!

This is an exit to ANOTHER canyon my Maui friends like to do!

here are some more pics of the rappels. Tim, one of the guys that came along to show me this route, was kind enough to take some pics of me while rappelling.

This trip is most definitely one of the best I have EVER done! yah yah, I say that about all my new canyoneering trips, but like the others, I am serious this time! lol :) This canyon had it all :) Waterfalls, fresh water clear pools, jumps, slides, guava fights, arches, easy approach, relatively easy exit, and tropical jungle! yeah, not sure when I am gunna do a canyon this good again. I can't WAIT to go back to Maui!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. Likes MiCamp liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NIce! I'll have to remember to arrange some time in my next Hawaii trip to do some canyoneering!

5. Likes Kuya liked this post
    mmm Guava Fights! I think I saw that on ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

7. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Super awesome... nice work Blake and Ren!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

9. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    NIce! I'll have to remember to arrange some time in my next Hawaii trip to do some canyoneering!
    when will this trip to Hawaii be arranged? ;)
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    when will this trip to Hawaii be arranged? ;)

When I have the money I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    ! The only thing missing was the massive animal life! (wrong island I guess haha)
    The wild pigs in the Maui backcountry can be massive and nasty, but good eatin' !

Wow, that looks like a sweet trip. And so green, like my envy!!

Way to go! I am stoked you were able to hook up with Ren. Maui canyons are the best. But remember there is no canyoneering on Maui. wink wink

Yeah, it was super fun! Canyoneering? what is canyoneering? We just went on an incredible "hike" ;)
    My YouTube Channel