Thread: Help Identifying Arches in photo

Help Identifying Arches in photo

I am scanning some old family photos and I can't identify the arch(es) in these 3 shots. This is from a trip my Great Grandfather and Grandfather took in 1931 to the Moab area though I am not sure how far South they ended up traveling. One is marked rainbow bridge but in looking at the shots of rainbow I am just not seeing it as rainbow. One shot has one of them on top of a ridge but it appears to be in the foreground and not the arch itself. I can't even quite tell if they are the same arch. One is either a different one or from the other side.

If you can identify I would appreciate it.

The non-arch shot is just one that I threw in to fill that corner for the scan. If you know where that shot is I would appreciate that too.

Thanks for your help.

Name:  Moab Arches.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  69.2 KB

2. Likes Glenn liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's Double O Arch.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

^^^ What he said... here is the info if you want to hike it.

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/devil.htm

Name:  Devil05s.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  28.9 KB

Thanks both of you and thanks for the link with the beta Iceaxe

This is one of the coolest things I've seen today. I love comparing old photos to current ones. And that you could go and visit a place 80-plus years after your grandfather and great-grandfather did...that's just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    This is one of the coolest things I've seen today. I love comparing old photos to current ones. And that you could go and visit a place 80-plus years after your grandfather and great-grandfather did...that's just awesome.
    I hope someone says that about my shots 80 yrs from now. More likely they will say something like "we cant view them because he stored them all as RAW files with a Lightroom Catalog sidecar file and we can't view old files like that anymore".

Just a follow up on this. Leprechaun ended up with two water sections we weren't expecting and didn't plan for... and after the SWIM in the 36 degree water......"which I did naked" (said in the voice of John Lovitz' liar character) we altered our further canyoneering plans (meaning I wussed out after laps ferrying the gear across the water) and decided on plan B which was chasing down the old photos. The pics are marked with a distinct 9 31 on the back and I'm sure that is what brought the original thought that these were 1931. However, after further investigation I have concluded that they were just before or just after WWII, so I'll just call them pre-1949 pics, likely 1948. We had an afternoon and a morning so I did my best to match the shadows. Thanks @Scott P and @iceaxe and Climb-Utah for the info to help find these locations.
    Name:  Double Arch SS.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  55.1 KB
    Name:  Double O above SS.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  38.0 KB
    Name:  Double O B SS.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  47.7 KB
    Name:  Scape ss.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  35.6 KB
    Name:  window 1 ss.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  42.1 KB
    Name:  double o below II SS.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  54.9 KB

This next one below gave us fits. We found the correct fins in the background, but just couldn't get the correct angle. We kept climbing different fins trying different angles and then finally lost the shadow and the shot just isn't the same without it.
    Name:  top of fin SS.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  59.8 KB

This is another one that gave us fits. We found the spot but just could not get the exact angle. The sun went behind the clouds and we lost the shadows, which makes it look a bit different too.
    Name:  archscape SS.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  38.9 KB

A very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful Ranger gave us an idea where this one below might be, but we didnt have time and most importantly neither of us has a lobster claw hand that my Great Grandfather apparently grew for this shot.
    Name:  conrad arches.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  225.0 KB

A couple others but I'll spare you the entire trip. However, it was much more fun than I thought it would be chasing these down.

10. Likes oldno7, Udink liked this post

Like this post! <---until that feature returns to the site.

Fantastic to see the pics next to each other!
    Also think I'm seeing some erosion, and the tree has grown.
    Great work

Blog Entries
    Very cool Desert Duke! Thanks for letting us share those pics with ya.

You could hang those in your house somewhere like a 5x8 frame with the old pic vs the new pic. And do that for all of your photos. We have a similar setup at our house as a main feature when people walk in.

-Brett
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"