Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had to use the contingency anchor to lower

Mountain Man

Had to use the contingency anchor to lower

I was out in a party of 3 yesterday doing the 7 Cataracts off Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, AZ. Crew of 2 experienced males, with 1 female new to wet canyons.

On the 90' 3rd rappel, which is in and under a waterfall its entire length, the noob got caught up and panicked. Water flow at that point down the face was a good spray rather than a flow, but enough nonetheless to cause fear for the uninitiated. Pic attached of me on the rappel. I had rigged a releasable anchor using a figure 8. I quickly lowered her the last 40' or so. Operation was smooth and uneventful, save for the actual reality that a panicked noob was under water and shrieking for a few minutes. First time ever for a lower in years of this sport.

It was great to quickly remedy what could have been a nasty situation sans the releasable. Several reflections on the situation.

1. I always rig a releasable 8, I don't care what. Rock knocking someone out, a slip and head whack, or what happened in this case. Good confirmation of.
    2. I had rigged the 8 in the "easier to release" mode (no twist on the bight that goes back through the 8). I need to review that practice. Although easier to release, it logically has to compromise holding friction. I am always LAMAR, so tie a backup on the 8 in case it slips. Yet it has never slipped in years of use.
    3. I carry plenty of gear to make a raise possible, but admittedly don't practice that as much. Reminder to be prepared for something, anything to go wrong.
    4. No matter the "experience" a noob has in the dry, nothing adequately prepares for water on the face and the need to remain calm.

Name:  Falls, doug.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  144.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    1. I always rig a releasable 8
    Question for you, on longer raps, 250 ft say, do you rig a single 500 ft rope or have an extra 250 to tie on and pass the knot through the 8 somehow?

If you use a big enough figure eight belay device, the knot can get through just fine. But is the pull cord strong enough to handle the weight of lowering a person???

I must admit that I almost never rig releasable, but then I don't take very many noobs out either. I know how to convert to a lowering system if something does go wrong though. Also the few times I've been with noobs I did rig releasable. Never had to lower someone though outside of practice.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davehuth View Post
    Question for you, on longer raps, 250 ft say, do you rig a single 500 ft rope or have an extra 250 to tie on and pass the knot through the 8 somehow?
    Allow me to butt in...

Neither.

Run your retrieval rope through the contingency anchor, then tie it to the rappel rope. Rappeller set up just below the knot - the knot is below the lowering system. If needed, the entire length of the retrieval rope can be used to lower.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    If you use a big enough figure eight belay device, the knot can get through just fine. But is the pull cord strong enough to handle the weight of lowering a person???
    The situation is one where using a pull cord is a bad idea.

Tom

Mountain Man
    Quote Originally Posted by davehuth View Post
    Per Tom's answer, tie shorter ropes but put the knot on the load side beyond the 8. No use of a pull cord with a releasable; full ropes only. Raps beyond 200' would stretch my gear for a releasable, as I only have 200' ropes. I'd rig for a rap and lower, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Allow me to butt in...

Neither.

Run your retrieval rope through the contingency anchor, then tie it to the rappel rope. Rappeller set up just below the knot - the knot is below the lowering system. If needed, the entire length of the retrieval rope can be used to lower.

Tom
    Isn't this how many do the final rap in Heaps? sending first person down that way so they can retrieve a cached 300 footer ?I've practiced with contingency, but very rarely have rigged that way in the field.

The situation is one where using a pull cord is a bad idea.

Tom
    Misunderstood the question. Sorry.

Allow me to butt in...

Neither.

Tom
    Last man down would need to remember to move the knot back to the pull side, otherwise you won't be able to retrieve your rope.

12. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit2Sea View Post
    Last man down would need to remember to move the knot back to the pull side, otherwise you won't be able to retrieve your rope.
    Now for bonus points -

How do you rig it to provide contingency for the LAST person?

I can think of two way...

Tom

Great question Tom! Just for clarification, do you have additional rope available, or just the rope involved with the rappel?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by skiclimb3287 View Post
    Great question Tom! Just for clarification, do you have additional rope available, or just the rope involved with the rappel?
    Just the ropes already mentioned, though presuming 10-20 feet extra on them.

T

Mountain Man
    Now for bonus points -

Tom
    Hmm. 8 set to releasable mode, pull side on the deck through someone's belay device. That would provide a lower of only the length of the excess rope.

Seems limited. 2 ways?

2 ways?
    1-1/2 ways might be a more apt description.

Tom

q: was your preflight briefing adequate for the noob - explaining that its WET and that there is a backup plan so don't panic as panicking never helps etc etc

Mountain Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    q: was your preflight briefing adequate for the noob - explaining that its WET and that there is a backup plan so don't panic as panicking never helps etc etc
    It was. To my mind. I'm not sure a noob truly understands it all. "If you get stuck, I'll be able to lower you down." "How is that possible? Will you come down to help me?" "No, I'll release the anchor on this figure 8 here, and blah blah blah blah blah..." Probably got lost in the excitement of everything. But now she understands fully.

It was. To my mind. I'm not sure a noob truly understands it all. "If you get stuck, I'll be able to lower you down." "How is that possible? Will you come down to help me?" "No, I'll release the anchor on this figure 8 here, and blah blah blah blah blah..." Probably got lost in the excitement of everything. But now she understands fully.
    As usual, probably reading a little too much into the exact wording of the post...

The pre-waterfall pep talk - I like to talk about the disorientation of having all those water drops hitting the helmet. Just stay calm, keep going down at a steady rate. You won't drown, your helmet creates a nice air space, etc.

Tom

Now for bonus points -

Tom
    I can only think of setting up a top rope climbing setup. Pretty much the persons on the bottom lower the person at the the top like they would a climber that just finished a sport route.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey