Thread: Hiker rescued in The Subway at Zion National Park

Hiker rescued in The Subway at Zion National Park

ZION NATIONAL PARK

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Once again hat's off to the rescuers!
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

Does anybody have any additional info on this one?

No additional information, but I went through before this happened on Saturday with no issues. I was surprised when we showed up to the first rappel and there was no webbing/rappel ring anchor set up, but we had equipment to build an anchor. Another group behind us showed up and the last person in their group retrieved the anchor and down climbed the boulder. We would have left the anchor if this other group wasn't there. Not sure if the lack of anchor contributed at all.

Wait, what are you referring to as the "first rappel"? is this the big boulder?
    Life is Good

Yes the boulder. I did see the hole to down climb through but didn't explore it.

"We'll shortfall him from there with the helicopter to a nearby location where we'll have an ambulance waiting to take him."

I would prefer it if they short haul him. He already fell and doesn't need another one.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

darn, isn't it time Zion get's their own helicopter instead of having to call in help from Grand Canyon or the Air Force ?? Budget limitations, I know...

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    darn, isn't it time Zion get's their own helicopter instead of having to call in help from Grand Canyon or the Air Force ?? Budget limitations, I know...
    I was under the impression that the helicopter at Dixie regional was equipped with a hoist. But maybe IHC bought them one of the new A-109 Grands that haven't been outfitted yet. IHC life flight is the only civilian operated hoist rescue in the country, but like I said, maybe Dixie isn't equipped yet. It would make sense to utilize them as they are much closer than Vegas or GC.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerlodge View Post
    No additional information, but I went through before this happened on Saturday with no issues. I was surprised when we showed up to the first rappel and there was no webbing/rappel ring anchor set up, but we had equipment to build an anchor. Another group behind us showed up and the last person in their group retrieved the anchor and down climbed the boulder. We would have left the anchor if this other group wasn't there. Not sure if the lack of anchor contributed at all.
    Thank you for that Roger Lodge and welcome to the Bogley.

Technically speaking, there is an anchor there, but it is not rigged.

Two bolts form the anchor. The webbing and ring are considered the rigging.

Not sure why anyone would take the webbing off there, unless it was no good, which is a possibility if the Subway has flashed.

Tom

Stumbled across this trying to find some info on the resuce and thought I'd chime in.

I was in the Subway that Sunday AM and saw the rescue being carried out. I have a rather crappy photo of it (had on a wide angel lens). Didn't look like they had the guy on a litter. I saw the rescue crew hiking back up Wildcat, but didn't chat em up. The ranger I spoke to in the park didn't have any info other than "yeah, they're doing those every few days now". The first optional rappel where you can use the rabbit hole, down climb or somersault off the big rock - I joke, but the group in front of me wasn't far from this - is bolted but there isn't any webbing left on it. I saw ropes ran directly through the bolts to rap it. I didn't leave any webbing on it either. I should probably take the time to write up a full report, but the webbing on the last rap at the waterfall room is getting questionable. I considered replacing it but it was getting late and I was feeling lucky.

Name:  DSC_6235.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  76.0 KB

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by half_crazed View Post
    Stumbled across this trying to find some info on the resuce and thought I'd chime in.

I was in the Subway that Sunday AM and saw the rescue being carried out. I have a rather crappy photo of it (had on a wide angel lens). Didn't look like they had the guy on a litter. I saw the rescue crew hiking back up Wildcat, but didn't chat em up. The ranger I spoke to in the park didn't have any info other than "yeah, they're doing those every few days now". The first optional rappel where you can use the rabbit hole, down climb or somersault off the big rock - I joke, but the group in front of me wasn't far from this - is bolted but there isn't any webbing left on it. I saw ropes ran directly through the bolts to rap it. I didn't leave any webbing on it either. I should probably take the time to write up a full report, but the webbing on the last rap at the waterfall room is getting questionable. I considered replacing it but it was getting late and I was feeling lucky.
    Thank you Half-Crazed, and welcome to the Bog.

Always a good idea to bring some (black) webbing and rings, in case anchors need to be re-rigged. For your benefit, and the benefit of the community. Running your rope directly through the hangers is not a good idea (YIKES!)

There is a hole right next to the big boulder. That is NOT the "Rabbit Hole", though I have seen people handline down it.

Tom

Half-Crazed... Thanks for the additional info...