Thread: Yellowstone Hiking

Yellowstone Hiking

Planning a trip to Yellowstone the first week of October for a little hiking and camping. I would really like to go where I have the greatest chances of seeing a lot of wildlife. Especially bears and wolves. Can anyone recommend some good trails to hike? Recommendations for places to camp would be appreciated as well. I have heard the Lamar Valley is good for grizzlies. Where can I find wolves? I'm sure I'll see some animals in the tourist traffic jams from the road, but I'd really like to take some long hikes into the back country.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well don't everyone all speak at once now. :)

Lamar is good for bears and wolves. There are a number of trails in the valley and all should be good, start at the Lamar river trailhead. As for camping, Slough Creek is good but usually crowded, there are some National Forest campgrounds just outside the NE entrance. There was a bear attack at one of them a couple of years ago.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Yeah I was thinking of staying at slough creek. I called up the rangers office and asked about it. They said right now it isn't even filling up til about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I imagine it'll get slower and slower as the weather cools. I also asked them which hikes would be good to do. She told me "we have about a thousand miles of trail, there's too many to suggest one." Come on lady, how hard is it to tell me a couple of good ones? She was kinda ornery.

It is a hard question. If you hike up the Lamar River, though, you will see bears, although some trails will probably be posted groups of 4+ which means don't hike alone.The bears will be hyperphaegic and eating everything in sight.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Chech this site out for current conditions and wildlife locations. http://www.bestofthetetons.com/ . I would head in to the Dunanda Falls area though that is no where near the famous, Lamar Valley.

I read Osborne Russell's journal (a trapper) and he referred to the Lamar Valley as the most beautiful site he had ever seen. You can't go wrong seeing that place but it is where many people drive to see critters, emphasis on drive.

I once saw a map with Griz density and it had a greater concentration on the South East edge of YS lake.

good luck

Thank you for the info! I will definitely check it out!

I just checked with a friend that I knew was just up there. He did see several Griz in the north area near the Lamar valley. i know you still have a couple of weeks, but it does seem that they are there in that area now.

Thanks again for the info. Looked up Dunanda Falls on the map. Looks pretty remote. How far of a hike is it in to it? Is there even a trail?

there are multiple ways in there. And yes there is a trail.....or I should say that there are trails but they do have some shallow water steam crossings. the link below explains how this was once a little known area but is getting more popular as a backpack site. Bechler or Cave Falls trailhead. maybe 8 miles or so? Several falls so it depends on your destination. there are some ways in there from over near Old Faithful but I am not familiar with them and they are usually done with horses.

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectId=34810

There is an excellent trail into Danada Falls. It comes in from Bechler Ranger Station on the Southwest boundary of the park. It's about 22 miles roundtrip into the falls and back to the ranger station. I went in the Boundary Creek trail and then cut over to Bechler River for the return trip. I did see a lot of bear sign when I was in there in late August, But didn't see any bears. I also like the Lake Mary trail in from Hayden Valley. Always lots of Buffalo along that trail, Saw a white wolf along the trail in Aug. No bears this year, But have seen bears in that area in the past. Bechler Meadows trail headed toward Danada There are several water crossing you need to cross going into either Danada or Union Falls The bechler meadows are is located on the Pitchstone Plateau, So it is fairly level hiking on the plateau top.

So???? Are you still heading for Yellowstone now?

Not sure yet. Waiting for congress and the house to tell me. Got everything ready to go if a deal is reached.

It's not looking good for my plans. I was planning to go there to hike and do some wildlife photography. Any ideas for alternate locations?

You can drive in along the Cave Falls road from Ashton and trail head outside the park. They may have closed the gates at West Yellowstone or Grand Teton, but I've never seen any way to prevent you from just hiking in. The South Boundary trail skirts right along the park boundary and intersect with trails at Bechler Meadows and over by Fish lake. Or start at Grassy Meadows. The government shut down my have closed the toll booths that collected the fees, put an end to all the ranger lead nature tours, But I don't see what effect it has on hiking a trail. Do you think they flew over the park announcing on a large speaker. "The park will be closing at midnight. Please proceed to the nearest exit"?

It's a pretty open boundry

If you want an option outside of the Park. The area just south of the park is a wonderful area to explore. if I remember it's the Jedidiah Smith Wilderness. Lots of trails, Just go south instead of North into Yellowstone. Another great hike is the Granite Basin side of the Tetons. Start at North Leigh Creek ( just east of Tetonia Idaho) Hike up into Granite Basin, Cross over come down past the Green Lakes.

Stunning views of the west side of the tetons

I saw a post of Facebook this morning of a couple from back east out to Yellowstone for a fall vacation. They hired an outfitter and rode into Dunanda Falls. So apparently the outfitters is breaking the rules and entering the back country during the shutdown or just the gates are closed on the roads and nobody is paying attention to who walks in on the trails. On Edit, Amanda said the park service was giving tickets to parties that entered the back country. So they must still have some rangers on duty hiking the back country looking for law breakers