Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kolob Creek Waterflow

Kolob Creek Waterflow

I would like to do Kolob Canyon this Saturday. I looked at the flow today and it looks insane and I have no idea how to judge the flow. With this video can anyone guess what the flow is because it looks higher 3 cfs. I would guess between 20 or higher. It rained a ton on Wednesday and assuming it does not rain again until Saturday, do you think the flow will drop? I called the water district and they said they are releasing 3 cfs from the damn until September 19th. This video is the water running under Kolob Terrace Road. I also hiked down to the first rappel and it looks like a death sentence with the current flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuTQpu_d7_s

Thank you for the help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    I would like to do Kolob Canyon this Saturday. I looked at the flow today and it looks insane and I have no idea how to judge the flow. With this video can anyone guess what the flow is because it looks higher 3 cfs. I would guess between 20 or higher. It rained a ton on Wednesday and assuming it does not rain again until Saturday, do you think the flow will drop? I called the water district and they said they are releasing 3 cfs from the damn until September 19th. This video is the water running under Kolob Terrace Road. I also hiked down to the first rappel and it looks like a death sentence with the current flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuTQpu_d7_s

Thank you for the help.
    That looks like too much water.

The imprecise way I measure low flow is this:

1 CFS ~ 7.5 gallons/second. You've filled a 5-gallon bucket from Home Depot before, right? Well, how many imaginary buckets could you fill in a one-Mississippi? Then do the math.

Another way to judge: If you envision the water tearing off your harness while you are carefully measuring with your imaginary bucket, then the flow is too high to safely descend Kolob.

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Hikster: I was going to do Kolob on Sunday with 3 other friends. Please let me know what you find about the water conditions. We're all experienced with high water canyons, but we've never done Kolob. We're coming from San Diego, your information would be very useful to us. We are also planning to do other canyons around Zion during the ACA Rendezvous, if you are out there maybe we can meet in person.

Thanks a lot

Hikster--do you have any photos from the first rappel that you hiked down to?

Thanks for the replys. I measured the water coming out pipe under the road with a shovel. It was about 16 inches deep about 4 feet wide. It would fill at least 10 five gallon buckets in a second. We did Boundary today and checked the flow after. It has dropped significantly. Only about 6 inches deep in the pipe. I didn't have my phone when we hiked to the rappel but did get video of the first rappel and its on my gopro.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think it is more like 3-5 cfs now. We are not going to do it tomorrow. My partners don't want to do the MIA again tomorrow

Park denied permit for tomorrow citing flow

Thanks for the info

Hikster, not sure if it was you we met you at top of west rim trail friday morning (you were going to boundary) and we were headed to Kolob. We hiked to the top and estimate it was flowing 10-15 cfs at the drop in point (too much for us). When we crossed the creek it looked more like a canal than an irrigation ditch. Don't have my video updated yet, but if you see the trip report from Tom (canyoneering usa kolob 2011 report) at 12-15 cfs it looked about the same. Sounds like it has gone down some.

Yes that was us. We were wondering if you guys had done it because you car was gone when we got back. We were guessing not or you guys were super fast beating us back to the trailhead

Quote Originally Posted by bhalvers2002 View Post
    How was the flow in boundary?
    There was no flow

Would you recommend a wetsuit in boundry?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
    Would you recommend a wetsuit in boundry?
    Definitely not. We carried them and wished we had not.

But wetsuits should be needed in Kolob right? (maybe even drysuits)

Quote Originally Posted by lucach View Post
    But wetsuits should be needed in Kolob right? (maybe even drysuits)
    Always at least a full wetsuit in Kolob. I did Kolob last year at the end of September. My 5/4mm wetsuit was just enough. Any less and I'd have been uncomfortable. Your hands and feet will get cold faster than the rest of you in an adequate wetsuit. A minimum of 3mm neo socks are needed in Kolob just about any time.

Right now, personally, I'd do Kolob with my 3mm socks, 5/4 wetsuit, and sealskin gloves.

Dry suits are much easier to walk in which would be nice for Kolob this time of year since the last couple swims are going to be cold enough to want something on but are a ways down canyon from the last rap.

FWIW, I drove past Kolob Reservoir Saturday morning at 7:30 and checked out the flow in Kolob Creek on the way. It was non-existent at the road. Based on the doppler radar I saw on the news that night, it was probably a good thing you didn't go.

19. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I meant to post this awhile ago. This was the first rappel into Kolob Canyon on Sept 12.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    I meant to post this awhile ago. This was the first rappel into Kolob Canyon on Sept 12.
    Yeah, that's pretty high.

Tom

Just out of curiosity, is it it possible to do it that high if you have the skills and its just dangerous or is it certain death no matter who you are? I ask because I have almost no experience with C class canyons and judging when its safe to enter. The one and only time I've been in Kolob the flow was probably <0.5 CFS.