Thread: Road to Egypt, UT (Choprock/Neon) and Road to Robbers Roost condition Inquiry....

Road to Egypt, UT (Choprock/Neon) and Road to Robbers Roost condition Inquiry....

My crew is converging on S. UT for our annual canyon adventures next week. I know its raining this week in Escalante and Robber's Roost.

We're planning on driving into Robber's Roost this Sunday. Last time I was there involved some mild off-roading and it was dry. I can only imagine how nasty it could get after rains. We are in a pair of 4WD Explorer type SUVs.

Also...couple years ago the road to Egypt was tough as hell to negotiate after a couple days of rain. We spent a couple hrs late in the night digging and towing out.

Any road condition updates would be much appreciated as I'm sure the roads are as dynamic as the canyons themselves.

-Houston

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Whole Hole In The Rock road is posted as impassible and had a road closed sign last night. If I had Ignored the sign I would have made it thru a rough 6 miles in my outback before hitting deep mud. There also would have been lots of debris and small washouts. Locals said lots of recent rain has caused problems everywhere and the road crews are overwhelmed. I suspect you wont make it to egypt for at least a week, maybe more, even with HC4WD.

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    Hmm. I was hoping that things would be in shape for our arrival in Escalante from Monday 23rd. Might have to look at alternative locations if the HITR is a mudbath :(

Mud isn't a problem on HITRR, the road is completely wiped out in several places before you get to Egypt Road.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  46.6 KB

This washout is 12 feet deep, just before Zebra and Tunnel and there are several just like it.

6. Likes regehr liked this post
    Wow. That picture tells it all. Who took that shot? Is there any web site that gives updates on the road. The GSENM report is very generic with little info.
    I have a crew meeting up in Escalante beginning of October. Hoping they have some of that road fixed up and repaired. Guess I'll be making a few calls in a week or 2.

Here's a link to some road information: http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/road-conditions.htm

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powderglut View Post
    Wow. That picture tells it all. Who took that shot? Is there any web site that gives updates on the road. The GSENM report is very generic with little info.
    I have a crew meeting up in Escalante beginning of October. Hoping they have some of that road fixed up and repaired. Guess I'll be making a few calls in a week or 2.
    Let me quote the most recent, detailed road report from GSENM:

"No!"

At least it is concise!

Tom

just called the county road dept....they told me egypt rd will be open by monday night.

This just posted in the Glen Canyon road report. Things are improving.
    Hole in the Rock 9/19/2013 2WD HighClearance,
    Impassable
    Road passable HC 2WD to Hurricane with caution,Watch for heavy equipment. Recommend 4WD. Repairs not done beyond.

12. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ebernhoft View Post
    just called the county road dept....they told me egypt rd will be open by monday night.
    BTW: the guys to talk to ARE NOT at the ranger station. Call the county roads dept at 435-826-4224. Those are the guys actually doing the work.

Quote Originally Posted by ebernhoft View Post
    BTW: the guys to talk to ARE NOT at the ranger station. Call the county roads dept at 435-826-4224. Those are the guys actually doing the work.
    I know Garfield and Kane co take care of the roads, but..... the only public road reports seem to be from the 2 national monument/recreation areas. Good to hear Egypt rd will be open.