Thread: My New Toy - Part II

My New Toy - Part II

Meet my new toy... It's a 2011 Corvette, with only 24k miles. I pretty much stole this car as the guy was in a major bind and needed the cash by Saturday. The guy took the car to CarMax to wholesale it and when the CarMax guys turned their backs I told him I'd give him $500 more than CarMax offered. The guy was thrilled to make an extra $500 and I bought a car I could easily flip and make $3000 to $4000 on. CarMax was pretty much robbing the guy.

Anyhoo... we decided to keep this car as our new toy. When you stand on the gas driving this car you had better make sure it's pointing in the correct direction because all hell breaks loose when it comes up on the cam at about 3,000 rpm. If you turn off the traction control it pretty much fries the tires anytime you stand on the loud pedal.

Drop a gear and disappear....

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So I spent the past week bringing this bad boy up to Ice standards. First thing was to detail the entire car and engine bay.

Then the real fun started... I added a Mild to Wild exhaust system, Air Raid cold air induction and a ZR1 wicker bill (spoiler).

Next up will probably be reprogramming the ECM (Electronic Control Module) so I can remap the throttle to be more linear so I can steer the car easier with my right foot like God intended.

This car is wicked fast :-)

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    No 8 track player
    I'm not Spartacus

Boycotting imlay canyon gear because I value access

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I spent the afternoon putting a set of Z51 sway bars on the Corvette. I thought the Corvette cornered flat before, but with the new bars it drives like it's on rails. It's amazing how fast that car can get through a turn.

I swapped the front 25.5 mm sway bar for a 31.0 mm bar, and I swapped the puny 17.5 mm rear sway bar for a 25.4 mm bar.
    I could always feel the rear outside corner of the Corvette wallow or sit down when existing a corner hard, but that is no more. Just when I thought the car couldn't be any more fun to drive and BOOM, it's even better.

7. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    So last week I posted on Facebook that I was looking for someone local with airbrush skills to paint the Corvette emblem on the hood liner of my new Corvette. My cousin, who owns the Projects & Dreams Hot Rod Shop in Salt Lake City told me he had a talented gentleman by the name of Jorge Hidalgo working for him that could probably do it. I dropped off the hood liner last week and picked it up this morning. What do you think?

Name:  HoodLiner05.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  HoodLiner01.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  HoodLiner02.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  HoodLiner03.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  HoodLiner04.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  98.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    What do you think?

Looks like you've got your dick down deep for Chevy, that's for sure. I actually dove one of those...a 2011 brand new. A customer of mine had just bought it while I was painting his house. Before I even turned the engine over he said "DON"T step on it".

I drove it 23 miles thru the city (we went to a Nuggets game that night) and it scared the shit out of me. I tried to act cool, though.

It's just that I've been driving pickup trucks and a couple '60s land yachts all my life. Been in some fast cars, but never drove one. Quite an experience.

BTW, how much does the insurance on that thing cost per month? I'm just curious, and my best guess is about $130 bucks.
    So appealing, yet so repulsive at the same time.

Insurance is dirt cheap as it's insured as a specialty car. I pay $600 a year for full coverage, zero deductible, $500,000/$1,000,000 coverage, roadside service and the tow truck is guaranteed to be a rollback. On my 1970 Corvette I only paid $300 a year for the same coverage and the cars are worth roughly the same.

The rules... the car can't be my daily driver (I have to own another car), the car has to be garaged, no one under 25 can drive it. They used to put mileage limits per year but don't do that anymore.

You insure a specialty car with what is called agreed value insurance. I tell the insurance company what the car is worth and if they agree that's what it is insured for and what your premium is based on. The best part is if there is a claim there is zero hassle as we have ready agreed they will pay up to the agreed amount.

Not too shabby don't ya think?