Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new toy....

My new toy....

So I finally found the Corvette I was looking for. Only downside was the car was in Albuquerque New Mexico so this weekend involved a really long road trip to drive down and pick it up.

70 Corvette
    350 CI - 350 HP
    4 Speed

The car is about 85% restored so finishing it should keep me busy during the winter.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So who got to drive it home, you or the lady friend?

Let's see how fast you can get to the Hidden Splendor Mine from I-70...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

That's my hot young stripper wife... I drove most the way but she drove part of the way. We had two cars and honestly after a couple hours across the desert with no A/C and that loud exhaust rumbling in your ear it was nice to spend some time in a plush new car with AC and sat radio. You forget how primitive the old cars were until you spend some time driving one. By the time we got home I was beat.

Blog Entries
    Nice color too. Nice find
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Oh.. the 350. Too bad. At least its a 1970's 350 block. Could have been a mid-70's and very de-rated! Great find!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Yup... 1970 is the last year of the unrestricted engines. Beginning in 1971 the government got involved and began choking the engines with smog gear and the insurance companies put the brakes on the horsepower race.

As for the 350 I'm a big time small block guy. I can pull all the HP you desire from a small block and I get a much lighter motor in return, which is huge in a sports car where handling matters. That extra 120 pounds from the BB over the front wheels really hurts in the corners. Now if I was just going drag racing it would be a BB all the way.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Nice ride dude! Congrats on the new toy. My dad had one just like it, except I think it was 1969 and brown (he traded it for a Malibu recently). Anyways, drove his a couple times and those things are a lot of fun. just hope it doesn't start nickel and diming you to death like his did. But it should hold it's value nicely through the years for ya, very collectible and sought after. Nice find!

Oh, and if you ever cruz down to Saint George and want to take my 1960 bug for a spin, would love some input/opinions from a fellow enthusiast on the finishing touches I'm planning for it. Hit me up!
    Name:  P2260013.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  42.1 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

10. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    We used to build a lot of VW powered sandrails. And in high school a lot of my friends had baja bugs. What have you done to the motor? Is that a turbocharger I'm seeing? (hard to tell on my phone)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    We used to build a lot of VW powered sandrails. And in high school a lot of my friends had baja bugs. What have you done to the motor? Is that a turbocharger I'm seeing? (hard to tell on my phone)

Oh yeah its a 2161cc engine with a turbo system attached. Only have it set at 7 psi right now and that is way more speed than I can handle. Here is a close up shot of the guts, but this thread is about YOUR TOY, not mine hehe. I'll toss up a thread after I've got it painted.

Name:  P2260022.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  68.2 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I'm just getting this bad boy all cleaned up after the long road trip to bring it home.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Attached Images Attached Images     

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I'm just getting this bad boy all cleaned up after the long road trip to bring it home.
    For some reason I always thought that sports cars were female in gender?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    For some reason I always thought that sports cars were female in gender?
    Especially ones who's model ends in 'ETTE'

17. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    No way... it's got a 4 speed.... think of the gear shift as a giant penis. Chicks drive automatics.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

So what's the 10% that's left to do?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

No way... it's got a 4 speed.... think of the gear shift as a giant penis. Chicks drive automatics.
    Still, "I'm going to go take her out for a spin" sounds much better than "I'm going to go take him out for a spin". At least to me.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    So what's the 10% that's left to do?
    It's a factory AC car and the air doesn't work so I'll have to get that worked out. The steering has a lot of play so I'll need to rebuild the front end. Clock doesn't work. Horn doesn't work. Lots of trim pieces could use some tender loving care. Need to detail the engine and engine bay. Yada, yada....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I love working on cars--took auto shop in high school and worked as mechanic before deciding to head of to college (Mechanical Engineering). 1970 vintage offers a lot of "fun". These days you don't need to much skill to coax extra power from your car--just download a new profile to engine control module and your off an running.

I must admit though that the micro-controller has sure had a big impact. I bought a new 5.0 Mustang in 1986 and it put out 200 hp and about 200 ft-lbs of torque all the while getting 12 mpg. I just bought a new 5.0 Mustang and the thing pumps our 412hp, 399 ft-lbs of torque while getting 21 in town and 30 on the highway. Crazy thing is that Ford will let me install an aftermarket supercharger on it bringing it to 650hp and not void my warranty.

The best part, being an old fart it is less to insure the Mustang than it is to insure my 18 year olds 1992 Honda Accord.

My Vette was only $250 a year to insure and that is full coverage, zero deductible, includes unlimited road side assistance and unlimited towing on a roll back. Also I have no inspection or emission requirements all because I can register the car as a classic vehicle.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

If only my body was like your Vette. The older I get the more "inspections" I need at the doctors office and as for emissions, we ain't goin' there.

"Old age is not for wimps!" (often said by my 85 yr. old mother)
    Life is Good

25. Likes savanna3313 liked this post

Visitors found this page by searching for:

my hot wife got a new toy