Thread: The Highline Trail!!

The Highline Trail!!

This is another one of those rides that has been on my radar for quite a while, but it's a bit of a commitment to get to the actual trailhead. We started from just below Beaver Mountain Ski area in Logan canyon. We started off with 10 miles on a fairly mellow, dirt road (Beaver Creek road) that goes past some really nice terrain. At the top of Egan Basin is the trailhead for the Highline trail heading north. It is a short, but stiff climb up to the ridge top from there where you can choose to go down Snowslide Canyon (this is on the Skidmap) or continue climbing west on the Highline Trail. This trail has some of everything. It rapidly changes from buttery smooth, fast singletrack to chucky loose rock surfing. Excellent stuff, but likely not enjoyed by beginners. There are multiple hike-a-bike sections, but they are all pretty short. From Beaver Mountain this trail actually goes ~51 miles to Soda Springs Idaho. It is all Motorcycle legal and I don't think it sees many mountain bikes. I'm sad that it took me so long to ride this and there is still a lot of terrain up there to explore.

A brief glimpse of the northern end of Bear Lake

Looking west down to Willow Flats campground in Cub River Canyon (just outside of Preston ID)

2. Likes jfeiro liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, looks like some good stuff. So did you ride north and then just double back, or did you make some kind of loop out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Wow, looks like some good stuff. So did you ride north and then just double back, or did you make some kind of loop out of it?
    Essentially it was an out and back route. There was a lollipop loop closest to the car at Beaver Mountain, with the stick of the lollipop pointing north.