Thread: Cove Canyon, Grand Canyon - road conditions & Go/No given weather forecast?

Cove Canyon, Grand Canyon - road conditions & Go/No given weather forecast?

Bogleyites,

Have a trip planned next Thursday to go out and do the Cove canyon route per Todd's amazing book "Grand Canyoneering"

However, I keep seeing "30% chance of thunder storms" on the internet for the area for the next ten days. I called the Grand Canyon backcountry office and since they are on the south rim, they have no idea on the roads or conditions out in Toroweap.

Anyone have an update on the roads out to Toroweap?

Also - given the weather forecast, is it time to just figure out plan "B"?

Since we are California rubes who have never done that Canyon, any advice of the risk level given the forecast? Should we just plan on doing morning outings in Zion instead or just go to Vegas and cavort with dancing girls?

Want to be wise but not paranoid

Thanks!

Joe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't done Cove Canyon itself, but have been out there. I'm sure you know already, but that area is extremely hot in September. In fact once we roasted in November. I'd definitely consider Zion or another destination this time of year.

I called the Grand Canyon backcountry office and since they are on the south rim, they have no idea on the roads or conditions out in Toroweap.
    Try calling the Interagency Information Center in St George.

Try here:

http://www.azstrip.org/

They would likely have a better idea about the roads than would the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

All - just got this message from Rich Rudlow

"After the service project at Toroweap last weekend we went over and descended Cove. Unlike some other Grand Canyon slots, where you're stuck in a deep slot for many hours, Cove is more flood friendly. We had thunderstorms all last weekend and it flashed the night before we arrived. This weekend looks like more of the same but the threat might be over by the time your trip rolls around. Here's what we did: we started walking from the Toroweap to Cove at first light. As we were descending the Supai layer we could see big clouds building. At the top of the Redwall we stopped and waited for 1.5 hours in safety while a big cell came over before committing to the narrow Redwall section. Cove opens up in many places so if you pay attention you won't have undue risks. It's a good choice in crappy weather.

If you packraft to Lava Falls to exit (instead of the Red Slide route) you won't be able to park a shuttle at the Falls TH due to road conditions, but it's only about a 2 mile walk from the Lava TH the Tuckup TH to fetch your vehicle so a shuttle isn't necessary."

So looks like we will move forward on this route at the moment - Thanks!
    Joe

Scott - thanks for the contact info

Will be checking with both agencies when heading out to make sure roads still passable!

Look forward to posting the standard "old guys hanging off cliffs' photos when we get back.

I was just reading about Cove cyn last weekend on a plane ride (had the guy across the aisle intrigued). This looks like one of the first routes in the book that I would hit up. Can't wait to read about your experience (hopefully it happens).

Quote Originally Posted by joeb View Post
    Also - given the weather forecast, is it time to just figure out plan "B"?
    Joe
    Northern Arizona is still getting hammered pretty hard by the monsoons. It rained hard yesterday in Flagstaff and is doing the same right know (Mon. a.m.).

The local paper just reported that Flagstaff is having the second wettest monsoon on record, so it's likely the same on the north rim.

Be very careful out there. It can rain any time of day on short notice.

Looking at the latest weather reports - I think watching "dancing girls" in Vegas may be the way to go at least until Friday - just saw the Behunin video posting. Don't want to win the Darwin award for this month

Looking at the latest weather reports - I think watching "dancing girls" in Vegas may be the way to go at least until Friday - just saw the Behunin video posting. Don't want to win the Darwin award for this month
    Hiked Cove Canyon a year or so back. It was GREAT! As Rich stated....The canyon has several retreat/waitout spots and careful watch of the sky could get you through, but you never know? I would think the hard part would be just getting out there? I went out one time in the winter to hike in supplies and greet Rich's group at Lava Falls during their Grand Canyoneering Expedition. It was a MESS on some parts of the road from snow/rain! I'd personally say wait for it to dry out a bit!

Bo - thanks for the update.
    We only have a stock 4 wheel drive Explorer - not sure if it will be passable by Friday.
    If it does dry out sooner than expected, do you have a dozen or so Rap Rings in your store? Everyone is out of them where I live.
    thanks!

Bo - thanks for the update.
    We only have a stock 4 wheel drive Explorer - not sure if it will be passable by Friday.
    If it does dry out sooner than expected, do you have a dozen or so Rap Rings in your store? Everyone is out of them where I live.
    thanks!
    You're welcome! It's raining cats and dogs here in SG at the moment, but not sure what it's doing toward Fredonia or Tuweap? Anyway...at the moment I have 15 of the Omega Pacific "Burley" alloy rap rings hanging on a peg. If you'd like I can pull them for you to pick up?
    Cheers!

Bump: Pretty major cell over that entire area right now!
    http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?r...101111&loop=no

Bo

Bo,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Given the weather, impassable roads, etc. We ended up just backpacking down 29 mile wash to the Colorado river (south east rim)

Was going to do the technical section but too much water in the creek and decided to pass on it. Didn't realize the magnitude of the storm that just passed through until we got out of the canyon later and saw the news about Colorado. Hope everyone is safe in your neck of the woods