Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poe Canyon 08-22-13

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Green View Post
    Question here for all you Poe pros. I've seen Tom's list of canyons to do to adequately prepare for Heaps and Imlay in Zion, which made me wonder what else you would add to that list to prepare for Poe. I assume canyons with good pothole problems, just looking for some more specifics other than the Squeeze or Quandary. Anything out there that's close to the potshot throw you have to make?
    Lets practice at work. Stand on two railings, straddling the sidewalk, and throw full potshots over rows of cars/ambulances

2. Likes ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Green View Post
    Question here for all you Poe pros. I've seen Tom's list of canyons to do to adequately prepare for Heaps and Imlay in Zion, which made me wonder what else you would add to that list to prepare for Poe. I assume canyons with good pothole problems, just looking for some more specifics other than the Squeeze or Quandary. Anything out there that's close to the potshot throw you have to make?
    About the throw:
    The closest I have seen is the last major pothole in Woody. I borrowed this picture from Bob's trip report here:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...7-Woody-Canyon
    The Woody throw is made from just below the bottom of the picture over the far ledge.
    There are a couple differences:
    The throw in Poe is further, more pinpoint and more awkward than the one in Woody.
    If you cant make the throw in Poe, there is NO other option other than the climb over on loose bolts.
    Name:  Woody Pothole.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  95.3 KB

About preparation for Poe:
    The person who introduced me to canyoneering is Jeff Dredge. He is a very strong, intelligent, accomplished and experienced canyoneer. He was lucky enough to go on a Poe trip with Steve Ramras, @RAM and I'm pretty sure Tom Jones, @ratagonia a few years ago. In talking to him about my upcoming trip, he said he would not feel comfortable leading a group there, and strongly recommended I reconsider going. I am not sure what prepares you for Poe, but if you are not completely confident in your ability to do it, you are not prepared. Heaps, Imlay, Woody, No Kidding are a start. There are several others out there that would help too. The prior 4 are just more familiar to most. You will likely want to have multiple trips to canyons with this heft, need for natural anchors or problem solving under your belt to attempt Poe. Also, it is not enough for you alone to have the experience. You will need a strong and diverse team.

Happy Canyoneering and BE SAFE!!

Rob

5. Likes Kuya, Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Lets practice at work. Stand on two railings, straddling the sidewalk, and throw full potshots over rows of cars/ambulances
    I was thinking of straddling the bed and counter in room 1, over the charge nurse, off Dr King, and try to knock over a urinal bucket (empty of course).

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    The closest I have seen is the last major pothole in Woody.
    I noticed that spot in Bob's report. This is the kind of stuff that is helpful as Woody wouldn't be very high up on my list of canyons to do unless I have a reason to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    About preparation for Poe:
    The person who introduced me to canyoneering is Jeff Dredge. He is a very strong, intelligent, accomplished and experienced canyoneer. He was lucky enough to go on a Poe trip with Steve Ramras, @RAM and I'm pretty sure Tom Jones, @ratagonia a few years ago. In talking to him about my upcoming trip, he said he would not feel comfortable leading a group there, and strongly recommended I reconsider going. I am not sure what prepares you for Poe, but if you are not completely confident in your ability to do it, you are not prepared. Heaps, Imlay, Woody, No Kidding are a start. There are several others out there that would help too. The prior 4 are just more familiar to most. You will likely want to have multiple trips to canyons with this heft, need for natural anchors or problem solving under your belt to attempt Poe. Also, it is not enough for you alone to have the experience. You will need a strong and diverse team.

Happy Canyoneering and BE SAFE!!

Rob
    Thanks for the great response. I don't consider myself ready to do Poe right now, thus the question. While each canyon has its own fun and enjoyment, it's always nice to be able to focus on canyons that will help me improve in areas that I need more experience. Your expertise and comments are much appreciated. For now, I'm just hoping it doesn't rain on our full Imlay parade on Friday. If anyone else has any other canyon recommendations, please PM me or keep piling on the posts.

Bryce

Here is a slightly better angle:

Name:  P1010260.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  130.0 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Here is a slightly better angle:
    Yeah, not really.

OK, it IS a better angle. The not really is that this is a big, tough throw. Nope.

Basically, a fairly good tosser like me can make the Woody toss first try, while I have absolutely zero chance on the Poe toss.

Someone's till gotta climb those ropes hand over hand. That's tough.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Someone's till gotta climb those ropes hand over hand. That's tough.
    Honest question: What's to keep you from wrapping prusiks around the ropes? The amount of time spent prusiking means the potshots aren't going to last?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TKPH View Post
    Honest question: What's to keep you from wrapping prusiks around the ropes? The amount of time spent prusiking means the potshots aren't going to last?
    I started to try that once, before our champ stepped up and 'volunteered' to hand over hand it. At that point the ropes are incredibly dirty, so prusiks (or Bachman knots, my preference) work very poorly. And yes, prusiks are slow slow slow and those potshots up there are creeping over the edge...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TKPH View Post
    I would not want to ascend the pit on prusiks. Time on rope is not on your side. If you have a strong team together, it will or should include someone or two capable and willing to do the hand over hand climb.

Bumping this for a friend...
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?