Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arizona man rescued after falling 100 feet in Zion NP

Arizona man rescued after falling 100 feet in Zion NP

It seems like safety is a far more important issue to access in the Canyoneering community. Based on this summer alone! Thoughts?

--

A 33-year-old Arizona man was rescued early Tuesday morning after he fell 100 feet while rappelling in Zion National Park.
    It happened in a remote area of Behunin Canyon, above the Emerald Pools. Park rangers said they were first notified about the incident at 5 p.m. Monday.

Park medics reached the victim shortly after midnight. When they arrived, they found the man had sustained significant leg, hip, arm and head injuries.

Due to the severity of his injuries and the remote location, Rescue Squadron 66 from Nellis Air Force Base was called in to extract the man.

The NAFB rescuers extracted the victim and his wife at 2:23 a.m. The victim was taken to University Medical Trauma Center in Las Vegas.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    That last rap lands on nothing but giants rocks. That's a nasty fall, and landing too.

Speedy recovery!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Dayammm that's a long drop to survive as well. Blows me away when people survive something like that. I tossed this video up a year ago to make fun of my "shoulder slams" but it does show the rocky bottom and entire rap if anyone is curious what it looks like. It's really an awesome last rap and finish to a great canyon IMO. I know some people aren't fans of it though. :)
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I believe the [KSL] article stated the fall occurred on the fifth rap.

They also mentioned that he wasn't tethered in at the top and therefore most likely fell the full distance. Scary! I hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.

All of a sudden I don't feel so bad slipping and breaking my ankle nothing more than a hiking trail 50 yards from the highway coming out of Misery.

I hope for a full and speedy recovery for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Dayammm that's a long drop to survive as well. Blows me away when people survive something like that. I tossed this video up a year ago to make fun of my "shoulder slams"
    Sure hope he is ok! Love the video and 'slams' I like to tell on myself my 1st canyoneering trip and 1st canyon Behunin. My more experienced buddy let me go 1st on this last rap. Got out to ledge where you can finally look down and saw rope all tangled up. Pulled self back up, untangled rope and tossed. Rapped to ledge and SWORE the rope was not touching ground. Pulled self up again, anchored into bolts for 50M ropes, buddy did short rap to me, we pulled rope and rethreaded thru 50M anchor (actually 2-60M ropes doubled). I start down, and AGAIN swear ropes too short, buddy does not believe me and tells me to rap. I do it (really dumb on both our parts). 1/2 way down I realize the shadow across the lower ropes makes it appear to be short - we actually are fine. Took us over an hour for us to do this easy rap, hotter than hell. I laugh now but this noob was pretty puckered up!! Also colors my perspective if we have noobs along now, do not assume anything!

9. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Yep, didn't happen at the last rap. Get well soon. "Zero rappelling accidents, a goal we can all live with."

So just got the low down on what happened. I haven't been down Behunin yet, so maybe someone else can pitch in a photo of the spot.

The accident happened at the fifth rappel, but not while on rappel. While at the top of the rappel the injured hiker spotted a rock feature on a fairly steep slope he wanted to check out, sounds like maybe a hoodoo. He made his way over to the feature and while at this feature slipped on a sandy ledge and slid around 20ft down the steep slope and then over the edge. The rest of the group rappelled down and found a very bloody, broken friend.

The result was a broken skull that will require surgery, some blood transfusions, broken ribs, leg, and I believe a few others. He did regain consciousness after his group got to the bottom of the rappel. Apparently his first words were along the lines of 'That was a stupid thing to do'

Another accident occurred at the same location a number of years ago. Unfortunately the person didn't make it. My only suggestion....Don't walk beyond the anchors. Just getting to the anchor is risky enough on it's own.

Here is the anchor, and the slope beyond that is intriguing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Is the fifth rap the one where the unavoidable water (that typically is waist deep) is? Or is it below this point?
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks Bo

I'd bet this is the rock feature.

Name:  DSCN1819.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  208.9 KB
    Last edited by Absolute Gravity; 09-05-2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Credited wrong person for the pic

Ahh that spot. No it's pretty sandy down there, or was when I last did it. I have a shot from a couple different angles. Thanks to everyone else for the details and corrections. The "100 foot fall" is what threw me off, that rap isn't very far at all. hearing the later details, it makes a lot more sense now.

Name:  P1000341.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  83.2 KBName:  P1000340.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  157.1 KBName:  P1000339.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  137.2 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Is the fifth rap the one where the unavoidable water (that typically is waist deep) is? Or is it below this point?
    In earlier years the alleyway held water and could be waist deep but in recent years the alleyway generally has been dry or contains very little water with the exception of winter months.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    In earlier years the alleyway held water and could be waist deep but in recent years the alleyway generally has been dry or contains very little water with the exception of winter months.
    Nice, thanks Bo. Guess it changed significantly since I was last there.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    "Zero rappelling accidents, a goal we can all live with."
    Do you guys think this is possible? With all the inherent risk associated with rappelling? Sure you can manage the risk well, but accidents happen.

oH MY GOD ...

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Do you guys think this is possible? With all the inherent risk associated with rappelling? Sure you can manage the risk well, but accidents happen.
    With all the accidents that have been discussed on here, I believe they were all preventable/avoidable?

I believe that taking the necessary precautions that we've all been taught over and over again could very well approach, if not attain, zero accidents.

22. Likes ratagonia, Kuya, blueeyes, pikan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    I definitely think it's possible.

Rappelling accidents, IMHO, are the result of human error, a lack of training/experience or a missmatch of skill level with the canyon environment.

Canyoneering has a risk component that can't be completely eliminated, but I think that's flash flooding, not rappelling.
    I want to be the type of person my dog already thinks I am

An awful accident. A friend of a friend of a friend. Have not met the victim, but I sure feel bad for him and his group.

I hope all surgeries go well and all bones mend quickly. Best wishes to all involved.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM