Thread: Cool looking canyon-Canadian Rockies

Cool looking canyon-Canadian Rockies

http://www.summitpost.org/marble-can...al-park/862930

Marble Canyon, Kootenay National Park.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm ready when you are!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

That water is going to be coooooooooooooold

Thermals, fleece and a drysuit...I was fishing in the bottom of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, off the remote SOB trail, when these two guys came down, donned the gear and floated miles downriver...and that water was cold, too. I got all excited and wanted to do it too, but found out when I hiked out that it was illegal...this was before it became a national park.

The canyon above sure looks nice, but I wonder if it's doable or just plain suicide...I suppose I'll look it up.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Nice, good find! Ever heard of Dipper Creek? Squamish River area....they kayak it when flows are right.

Name:  dipperf.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  596.4 KB

I've been there! There are caves at the bottom of the canyon that can only be accessed in winter, when the river is frozen (and lower). Those Canadian cavers are nuts.

hah. i have been in that canyon, the one posted in the OP, climbing ice in years past. pretty much one of many road side attractions for ice climbers touring the canadian rockies.

it is worth noting that when marble canyon freezes up, many "ice walkers" equipped with kahtoola microspikes leasurely explore the slot. its about 3-miles one way IIRC. quite a unique experience. there are other slots in the area, ~3 or 4, that i can think of that are very similar to Marble. there are guided ice tours outa banff/canmore that explore these canyons. In one of them, you might occasionally witness a local skating at high speed dressed to the "9's" in hockey gear. insane.

in addition, some of the technical ice climbs i've been on ascend up canyons that would actually make for a fun/interesting winter canyoning experience. at least it would provide an alternative to the desperate and contrived mohave/death valley roped descents.