Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knotted Rope

In fact, you can stay dry nearly for the entire canyon - except one mandatory water section which is near the end.
    That part is often dry as well. At least it was when we did the canyon. There was no water at all.

They had plenty of rope, they just couldn't get her out.
    That's the story we heard as well. She was traversing and fell in. I heard they did have rope, but that she couldn't climb it with a broken arm and that the husband couldn't pull her out either.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey Jman, Think we are getting potholes mixed up. Woman died in 1st pothole right after canyon takes 90 degree turn. It is too deep to climb out by self if you go in. Most people do a sketchy but doable traverse on the right side LDC. I have seen pics where a line/handline was set or used at that PH. The pothole pictured by Slot, and where you say to jump, shows people climbing out (it can be difficult but doable and is what I have done). It is further down canyon. BTW - the link and original story on the death had several conflicting things- 1 being that she was rappelling. Not really poss to rappel around it, down into yes. But pretty sure she was traversing right side like everyone does. Also BTW - I'm not your father but this 61 yr old man will not be jumping that PH anytime soon. How about you and Jeff go back and get that on video for us more timid types?? Luv to see that. No BS.

Slotmachine, congratulations on an impressive list of canyons done over the past several days. I would feel it to have been a successful trip to have done even a quarter of that..

5. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    WRONG!

They had plenty of rope, they just couldn't get her out. In fact one of the SAR members told me the really gruesome part about this accident was the husband had tried to tie her so she was out of the water. When SAR arrived she was dead and hanging as if caught in a spider web.
    Okay okay...

you mean, MY memory was not correct?

And, really, even more tragic that the tools were available, but he could not figure out how to use them.

I still don't think she was actually rappelling at the time, but what do I know (not much, apparently).

Tom

Like the pics. I have seen a few Tr of people going down Quandary and up Knotted Rope. I've done Quandary but have not done Knotted Rope. How difficult do you think it would be going up Knotted Rope

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    Like the pics. I have seen a few Tr of people going down Quandary and up Knotted Rope. I've done Quandary but have not done Knotted Rope. How difficult do you think it would be going up Knotted Rope
    Thanks!

In current conditions I think it would be pretty easy. I'd recommend a group of at least 4, and one small person to make boosting easy.

If you can't make it to the top (if conditions change), then no big deal. Just go back down and out another way.

It would be fun to try climibing Knotted Rope. I say go for it. And this is coming from someone that DOES NOT like hiking up slot canyons.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

10. Likes hikster11 liked this post