Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knotted Rope

Knotted Rope

On September 2nd, 2013, Steph, Micah (@MiCamp), Chelane and Stephanie headed through Knotted Rope. We hoped recent rains filled the canyon, but luck was not on our side. This was Chelane and Stephanie's first technical canyon.

The potholes were about half full, and it was just warm enough that wetsuits were not required. It was a fun day with a great group of friends.

Bob

Name:  P1010281.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  160.9 KB

Name:  P1010284.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  P1010286.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  P1010290.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  148.1 KB

Stephanie, Chelane and Steph sharing a laugh.

Name:  P1010293.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  168.7 KB

Name:  P1010307.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  P1010313.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  P1010316.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  130.6 KB

Chelane bravely rapping into a monster swimmer pothole...

Name:  P1010319.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  120.3 KB

then making the tough move up and out!
    Name:  P1010320.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  116.5 KB

Name:  P1010323.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  112.2 KB

Micah jumping.
    Name:  P1010326.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  116.1 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice! Hey...what's with that cable? If it is a cable...what the hell is that thing?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Nice! Hey...what's with that cable? If it is a cable...what the hell is that thing?
    It is a pipe, leftover from mining operations. There are about 6 or 8 of them placed strategically down the canyon.

Now that you mention it, I am not satisfied with how difficult the canyon is, even with the pipes. A couple of those potholes are still a pain in the ass to get out of. We are going to bring more pipes next time we visit to make things easier for everyone.

TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

6. Likes MiCamp liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Yea, two of the potholes can be a challenge to get out of, although one of em (the last pic) can be avoided by going to your right LDC and a careful jump (for the young and dumb like me I suppose).

Too bad it wasn't tip too full for ya guys. I'm still waiting for that opportunity myself...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

8. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Yea, two of the potholes can be a challenge to get out of, although one of em (the last pic) can be avoided by going to your right LDC and a careful jump (for the young and dumb like me I suppose).
    Agree on 1st and not so much on 2nd. Hmm, really u jumped? Done it twice and no one in our group even thought of trying that. U got bigger pair than most. KRope is a great fun canyon - changing water levels make it different every time.

^ That there is some bad beta. ^

When you arrive at that pothole you will likely already be wet, and likely still interested in playing in the water. If there is a live alligator in the pothole, then jumping across is an option to consider.

Too bad it wasn't tip too full for ya guys. I'm still waiting for that opportunity myself...
    Yes, a shame. It rained like crazy in Ticaboo two days prior. Thought our chances were pretty good...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    ^ That there is some bad beta. ^

When you arrive at that pothole you will likely already be wet, and likely still interested in playing in the water. If there is a live alligator in the pothole, then jumping across is an option to consider.

Yes, a shame. It rained like crazy in Ticaboo two days prior. Thought our chances were pretty good...
    ...bad beta? It's just an option. When the canyon is in low-mode the keeper is deep and still a swimmer. When it's low - you can avoid it (like I mentioned above). In fact, you can stay dry nearly for the entire canyon - except one mandatory water section which is near the end.

And if you bypass it, you could easily save a good amount of time if you have handful of people. Plus, it's kinda a awkward rap if it's low. If it's full- then yea, take a dip!
    Last edited by jman; 09-04-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: forgot a IMO statement
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

...bad beta? It's just an option.
    Seems like a good way to get hurt (rap/climb is safer). And a bad way to save time (took us 10 minutes). And a lame, boring way to stay dry (lame AND boring).

That's all I'm sayin'.

13. Likes jman liked this post
    So if some don't do the canyon exactly the way you did then it must be wrong, or bad then?

Just sayin.

Sweet canyon, nice pics.

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    So if some don't do the canyon exactly the way you did then it must be wrong, or bad then?

How did you do it when you went through?

Oh wait...

How did you do it when you went through?

Oh wait...

Ha ha, nice. When you say things like this I have a hard time taking you seriously, because you sound like you are 8.

Not gonna argue with you, Bob. Just seems kinda silly how you called someone out just because they operate different than you. Feel free to say whatever you want from this point, Ill read it but I am not going to reply. My point has been made.

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    Ha ha, nice. When you say things like this I have a hard time taking you seriously, because you sound like you are 8.
    Yeti...dude, chill. Slotmachine is awesome...if he wasn't posting up all these nifty trip reports, I dare say it would get pretty boring waiting around for you to post up yours. Sorry to bust your chops, but if anyone is drifting into the 8 year old territory, it's you. Get my point?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

18. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    We are going to bring more pipes next time we visit to make things easier for everyone.

Always good to bring the canyon down to your skill level...

Most of those pipes (past the first couple of potholes) were moved in by Mr. K in 1999. I was happy to see that there seemed to be fewer pipes in there... let's leave it that way, OK?

Tom

20. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Seems like a good way to get hurt (rap/climb is safer). And a bad way to save time (took us 10 minutes). And a lame, boring way to stay dry (lame AND boring).

That's all I'm sayin'.
    C'mon, Slot, what could possibly go wrong???

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ted-Rope-Death

22. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Always good to bring the canyon down to your skill level...

Most of those pipes (past the first couple of potholes) were moved in by Mr. K in 1999. I was happy to see that there seemed to be fewer pipes in there... let's leave it that way, OK?

Tom
    *whizzzz* goes the line! Caught me a big one!

*Wipes tears from face*

Purely a joke. I hope you think we have better ethics than THAT. I can't believe he imported those pipes! Super funny.

I would love to go with a big team and move some of those pipes out some day. Do you sell a waterproof canyoneering Sawzall?

24. Likes Absolute Gravity, MiCamp liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Agree on 1st and not so much on 2nd. Hmm, really u jumped? Done it twice and no one in our group even thought of trying that. U got bigger pair than most. KRope is a great fun canyon - changing water levels make it different every time.
    Lol thanks iron. Nope, same size as everybody else. Haha.

It's intimidating but very doable actually. If you have a partner tether (holding on to your hand/arm) it ain't so bad and turns into like a 2ft vertical jump but a 4ft horizontal gap jump. Takes 30 seconds. But then again, I wouldn't recommend my option to my 64yr-old father either.

Remember the lady who drowned in knotted rope back in 1998 I think... Anyways, she was rappelling this very section (awkward rap) in low water mode and ended up crashing into the wall and breaking her arm and getting hypothermia after hours of struggle!! Crazy stuff. Anyways, I threw it up there just as another option.

Indeed - a complete technical challenge for beginners. The canyon is very enjoyable, and I especially like the hike out of the gorge back to the airstrip.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Remember the lady who drowned in knotted rope back in 1998 I think... Anyways, she was rappelling this very section (awkward rap) in low water mode and ended up crashing into the wall and breaking her arm and getting hypothermia after hours of struggle!! Crazy stuff. Anyways, I threw it up there just as another option.
    Uh, just gave you the link. Perhaps you should read it again.

She was not rapping, she was traversing around a pothole and fell in, broke her arm. Since the canyons does not require a rope, she and her husband did not have a rope. They tried stuff, but could not get her out.

Just like Zero Gravity - good idea to bring a rope.

Tom

Tom
    Always is.

At a minimum, I'm always carrying at least a cordelette or a short rope and webbing

Blog Entries
    Uh, just gave you the link. Perhaps you should read it again.

She was not rapping, she was traversing around a pothole and fell in, broke her arm. Since the canyons does not require a rope, she and her husband did not have a rope. They tried stuff, but could not get her out.

Tom
    Maybe YOU should read the article again...but perhaps I'm reading too much into the word "rappel" ??

"Marie Coray, 58, was rappelling Saturday over a "pothole" - a pool of water at the bottom of a deep crevice - when she slammed into the canyon wall and broke her arm, apparently in an attempt to swing to a trail on the other side of the pool" said Emery County Sheriff Lamar Guymon".
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

WRONG!

They had plenty of rope, they just couldn't get her out. In fact one of the SAR members told me the really gruesome part about this accident was the husband had tried to tie her so she was out of the water. When SAR arrived she was dead and hanging as if caught in a spider web.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3