Thread: Das Boot & Subway

Das Boot & Subway

As I get ready for Das Boot & Subway I was checking the rappel lengths so I can bring the correct amount of rope I noticed that Tom's website shows 60ft for the longest rappel Name:  Das Boot (tom).jpg
Views: 588
Size:  44.2 KB and Shane's website Shows 30ft just curious what you have experienced was enough rope. I understand conditions change each time and rappels may vary a few feet but double? Any info on Conditions that someone might have would be greatly appreciated I have checked Candition and nothing recent was posted. Also this will be everyone in our group's first time we were just curious how hard is it to find the proper drop in point for das boot?

Thanks Again

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Go with shane's info. way more reliable I've found.

I recall them all being pretty short. And finding the drop in spot isn't super hard. had more trouble navigating over the slick rock in the beginning. But towards the end an actually trail develops. Have a good trip!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Actually, I would bring a 50 foot rope. The raps in Das Boot are indeed short, but I remember one being about 20 to 25 feet...the thirty footer would work if you bring a pull cord, of course.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

We only did two raps in Das Boot and we did both of them with a fifty foot rope. Worked fine. At least, that's how I remember it. It's been a few years now.
    --Cliff

Thanks for the info.

Just to ease your mind...We did das boot as a group of 4 just last month and all you need is 15m. There are 2 rappels and I was meat anchor in one additional spot.

Are you going to do the Subway too or just Das Boot? You will want to account for the drops in the Subway in addition to those in Das Boot particularly the last drop into the waterfall room or the pools. (Yes, I know, some tough guys do the Subway without rope... but why? )
    Life is Good

The longest rappel in the Das Boot/Subway combo platter is 28'. You will want a 60' rope.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Cr8on View Post
    Just to ease your mind...We did das boot as a group of 4 just last month and all you need is 15m. There are 2 rappels and I was meat anchor in one additional spot.
    Thanks for the infor. How was the water temp? how hard was the route to find?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Are you going to do the Subway too or just Das Boot? You will want to account for the drops in the Subway in addition to those in Das Boot particularly the last drop into the waterfall room or the pools. (Yes, I know, some tough guys do the Subway without rope... but why? )
    We are doing Subway as well so I plan on bringing a 70' rope sense that's the shortest rope I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The longest rappel in the Das Boot/Subway combo platter is 28'. You will want a 60' rope.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Thanks Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    Thanks for the infor. How was the water temp? how hard was the route to find?
    Pay careful attention to your map as you close in on Das Boot. When we did it, we wasted some time on our approach by not staying high enough (left, or NE) where the Subway trail splits from the Das Boot trail. Going between the trails sucks.

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Pay careful attention to your map as you close in on Das Boot. When we did it, we wasted some time on our approach by not staying high enough (left, or NE) where the Subway trail splits from the Das Boot trail. Going between the trails sucks.

Thanks for what sounds like good advise. I have done such a thing on another canyon and luckily it only cost us about 10 mins of hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    Thanks for what sounds like good advise. I have done such a thing on another canyon and luckily it only cost us about 10 mins of hiking
    You are welcome! Prepare for a very fun day. My face was sore from smiling after doing Das Boot. It's a goodn'.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Pay careful attention to your map as you close in on Das Boot. When we did it, we wasted some time on our approach by not staying high enough (left, or NE) where the Subway trail splits from the Das Boot trail.

LOL - we did the opposite and stayed too high and started climbing over the next ridge which I believe would have dropped us into wildcat canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    We used a 50ft rope for the combo platter. I ended up having to do a hanging disconnect in the Subway. You guessed it...a 3ft disconnect.