Thread: Draft

Draft

Thoughts on the draft? Everyone happy with their lineup?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I hated the fact that I was first pick. I would have much rather been in the middle somewhere. But I feel good about my team. I was surprised to see QB's going in the first round again. I went back to last years results and really looked at the teams that did well throughout the season and the high end QB's helped carry their teams but they did not win the championships because of them and last year we only had ten teams so you could reach a bit more and still secure a reliable RB or WR. But this draft with 12 teams the drop-off in RB production from the first pick to the 24th pick was severe.

I was really surprised that ICE took Brees and welker for his first two picks but he may have saved it with Bush. I think reggie will have a monster year this year, but I thought that last year too and he didn't....

One thing I do know is that last year there were 6 teams that were vying for the 4th playoff spot and the week before essentially only the 1st place was certain since every other position was only 1 win ahead or behind. So basically two weeks before the playoffs it could have been any of the 10 teams getting in.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Yahoo said I got a B- and I think that is fair. I made a few boneheaded picks. I was watching TV at the same time and not really paying attention...

It was an interesting draft. I'm usually always for the stud RB approach, but after Peterson, Spiller, and Martin were gone, I felt like there was a drop from the top tier to 1a. Even those top three had some question marks. What really sucked was that the only other league I am in had their draft start at 8:00. We were in round 5 or so when we began. Needless to say I had some serious toggeling going on.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I was really surprised that ICE took Brees and welker for his first two picks but he may have saved it with Bush.
    Last year I wrote an algorithm for drafting based on our team settings and dumped in the yahoo stats..... and I totally dominated the league until injuries sidelined my team heading into the playoffs (you can't do anything about injuries).

Anyhoo.... just for giggles here is the top ten this year based on my algorithm, we shall see if it holds true or was dumb luck.

Brees
    Rodgers
    Manning
    Ryan
    Brady
    Cobb
    Peterson
    Calvin Johnson
    Welker
    Russell Wilson

If we were a standard setting league I'd go with runningbacks, but our PPR, bonus points (100 yard games or 300 yards passing) and return yards make a big difference.

PS- I don't put much stock in the "report card" as it is based on a standard league and not a PPR league.

Draft Report Card

I'm still trying to figure out why the stupid report card only gave me a B for my draft yet it projects me to finish first in the league?

A masterful draft-day performance by the GM of Ice turned the eighth overall pick into a projected first-place finish. They're expected to finish 12-2-0 (1,477 points) in Bogley 2013 League
    In my gradebook a projected first place finish should earn you an A+.

I went thru the blurb on the bottom regarding how they arrive at the grades and it's all based off the adp of the player. So it looks and if you drafted a rookie when there were other higher ranked players available you get dinged. Same thing if you drafted a person significantly ahead of their projects spot. Seems pretty dumb and based soley off the Yahoo ranking of an individual player. I got dinged for drafting Thompkins (a rookie) but Aaron Herndez's replacement. It's pretty safe to say he'll put up reasonably good numbers but because he's never played and yahoo ranked him lower than I took him in the draft. All I know is every year I stray from the RB, RB, WR approach and usually get a QB, WR and end up 5-6th place. So this year I went heavy on RB's and hopefully it works out.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I was really surprised that ICE took Brees and welker for his first two picks
    23.7 points from Welker last night makes the pick look pretty sweet :-)

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

The issue isn't the pick of Welker, he's a legitamate WR1 but rather that he was your second pick after picking Brees for your first pick. But yes, your right, he did look good last night. So did Sheepville's non-drafted, waiver wire, pick up of Julius Thomas. So did my 3rd round pick of Denarius Thomas at 30 points. My concern moving forward with the Broncos is that he is not going to put up 7 td's a game and with so many mouths to feed I'm thinking that our Bronco's receivers will be boom or bust.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Really its hard to go wrong with anyone Payton is throwing to. I really think that guy is in a class by himself.

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Hmmmm.... after week one what does everyone think of their draft?

I'm pretty happy with mine at the moment.

I'm pretty happy with mine though It's too early to really tell. Some big passing numbers out there for the first week of football.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Pretty pleased so far. Could've done better in the QB department, but I can't complain too loudly for now...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

We'll see how this week shakes out before I give a yea or nea on my team.

Well, I had three patriot players go for a combined 10 points last night. Sucks. Ridley blows. I think my winning streak against Ice is going to end.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I watched the game and was happy with your point production :-)

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I watched the game and was happy with your point production :-)

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Right before the game i almost switched Ridley and thompkins. So close. Should have trusted my instincts.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!