Thread: Englestead & Pine Creek

Englestead & Pine Creek

We did Englestead and Pine Creek this past week. Englestead was on Thursday August 29 and Pine Creek was done on Sunday Sept 1.

It was my first time in Englestead, so I don't have much to compare to but with all the recent rain I imagine it was wetter than normal. There were multiple short wades and it was quite the mudfest. We exited Orderville and it was really muddy too with no flow until we got closer to the Narrows. There were several mandatory swims and lots of wading, but we were really comfortable without wetsuits in Orderville.

Pine Creek was flowing nicely with flow throughout the entire length of it. No stagnant water at all. Just muddy foamy water. It didn't smell bad at all, but that foam sure tasted horrible! Lots of mandatory swims with foam extending well above our heads! That was a new experience! A lot of care had to be taken on the approach to the anchor for the cathedral with the water flowing the way it was. Wetsuits were absolutely necessary. I wore 2 mm wetsuit pants with a 5/4 hooded vest. My partner wore a 4/3 full wetsuit. We were both very comfortable with what we wore. It was a great way to spend the morning!

http://youtu.be/AMfvvlhqB70

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Coool vid! love the 360 view raps, and who doesnt love a foamy pine creek!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Thanks for the video! I'll move this into the Canyoneering forum

WOW! some of those gopro shots on the Englestead Rap are pretty cool!

A flowing pinecreek?! What a treat! I hope I get to see that canyon in those conditions someday.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Fun video. Not a whole lot beats a flowing Pine Creek!
    Life is Good

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    Nice vid!

I have a date with Pine Creek on the 19th of this month, which will be my 5th time through in the past 3 years... which is not too bad considering I live 5'500 miles away

M

Great Video! Loved the shots on the Englestead rapp!

Great Vid. you have a lot going on by your rap device. what type of rig do you have set up. I noticed a prussik and also a rapid i think from your peranah. Im just curious for maybe added safety when i go out. Have always wanted to see pine creek flowing thanks for the vid.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Thanks! Maybe it was a little overkill but I sure felt secure with that set up. I used a z-rig combined with an autoblock. I'm right handed but like to have the z-rig go through a biner on my left leg loop and have the rope come across to my right side. So when I'm not using the upper biner in the z-rig, I can just tilt by body to the right to decrease the friction or back upright to add friction. Less lifting of the rope that way too. And then when I want more friction, I just hook the upper biner too. For the autoblock I used a VT prusik in a valdotain tresse configuration above my pirana. It seemed to work for me, but I'm not really set in my ways and if anyone has some suggestions or constructive criticism, I'd love to hear it!