Thread: College Football 2013

College Football 2013

Flipping between the Boise/Washington game and the UCLA/Nevada game.

Boise does not look good, but in their defense the UW defense looks really good.

UCLA looks as good as last year. Love the late night games.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Love this time of year....CFB and great weather. Watched A LOT of college football with friends and family....and ready to do it all over again, next weekend. Speaking of next weekend, I suspect the Utes will be 2-0, Aggies 1-1 & Cougars 0-2.

Seeing the Utes at 2-0 would make me happy.

Seeing the Cougs at 0-2 would make my day :-)

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Nice article on the Hurry up and punt offense.... The article brings out what I have consider the flaws in the offense and how to combat them.... good read.....

Hey, BYU offense, take your time
    September 3, 2013

PROVO — Noted philosopher and legendary basketball coach John Wooden taught the following: Be quick, but don’t hurry.

Take note, certain college football offensive coordinators.

The hurry-up offense is the rage in college football, with seemingly every team skipping huddling after each play in favor of running a succession of plays in as little time as possible. But not everyone is cut out for it.

BYU is one of those teams — not with an unproven quarterback and a suspect offensive line. For now, the Cougars need to be quick, but not hurry.

Robert Anae’s motto of go hard and go fast shouldn’t be a substitute for being out of control. In his second stint as BYU’s offensive coordinator, Anae deserves credit for trying to institute a new standard, but at this point the team isn’t ready for it.

Any novice could figure out BYU’s offense didn’t click well in Saturday's embarrassing loss to Virginia. Forcing the tempo only led to more plays — BYU ran a total of 93 in the first game — but did not result in much production.

At certain times, it was painfully obvious the Cougars needed to slow down. Late in the game, with BYU leading, the offense got the ball back after a turnover and then ran three plays before kicking a field goal. Time and score dictated a slower pace.

BYU should have followed the lead of Utah’s offense, which took several minutes off the clock late in the game in the season-opening win against Utah State. Offensive coordinator Dennis Erickson ate up game time with running plays before settling for a field goal that gave the Utes a four-point lead. Utah State got the ball back with less than 25 seconds remaining in the game.

For the Utes, coach Kyle Whittingham said, the ideal number of offensive plays is 75.

“Tempo is overrated,” said Whittingham. “I hear so much about tempo (that) it’s starting to be a little irritating. If my information is correct, there were 10 teams in Division I football that snapped it 88 times or more this past weekend, and seven of those teams lost. There’s a point of diminishing returns for tempo.

“It’s not about tempo. It’s about execution and the players that are playing for you. Tempo is all fine and dandy, but like I said there’s a point where you start to go too fast (and) I think it has a negative effect.”

Bowing to the pace of play, BYU’s offensive linemen sacrificed physicality for tempo. The goal became to play fast rather than own the line of scrimmage.

And BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall admitted to a learning curve during his first “go hard, go fast” game.

“I have no issue with the number of plays, especially if it relates to points, which the research has shown that’s what it will lead to,” Mendenhall said.

Even with all the struggles on offense, the Cougars still were in a great position to beat Virginia until Anae’s ill-fated decision to call a pass that was intercepted. The obvious bad call set up Virginia’s one-play game-winning touchdown.

A stand-up person, Anae owned up to the call and acknowledged his mistake. But BYU’s problems run much deeper than one brain cramp.

“We are still searching for an identity,” Anae said in his postgame interview session.

Throughout fall camp, quarterback Taysom Hill threw passes that were too high for receivers to catch. The problem manifested itself during the first game and was partly responsible for Hill completing only 13 of 40 passes.

The intercepted pass Hill threw to Jamaal Williams was slightly high and somewhat difficult to catch, especially after driving rain made for wet conditions. Mendenhall counted up to seven dropped passes and said the receivers had “too many drops that were drive changers.”

Like he did with Riley Nelson all last season and Jake Heaps before that, Mendenhall has shown a reticence to change quarterbacks. His comments two days after the Virginia loss indicate Hill’s starting position is safe.

Also an issue is the offensive line, which has picked up where it left off during last season’s awful showing. Mendenhall has already said to expect changes up front after only one game, which calls into question the coaching staff’s ability to evaluate the talent during spring practice and fall camp.

6. Likes Scott Card liked this post