Thread: More from California! - Mt. Whitney - 14,505ft

More from California! - Mt. Whitney - 14,505ft

Mt. Whitney - 14,505ft

This has been a while in the making. I have had my eyes on climbing Mt. Whitney for many years now. Just some quick back story information, about 13 months ago, i was this.

299.8lbs, I was still hiking and climbing, but man was it hard. I decided enough is enough. Started hiking, climbing and canyoneering more and eating less. 13 months later I am this

223lbs before heading up to Lone Pine, I figured carrying a pack weighing 20 pounds was better then a 93 pound pack. So to the trip!

I "won" 3 permits to day hike the main trail up Whitney on 8/25. Got my buddy Josh, and my regular hiking/climbing partner "Patrick the Swede" to join me. We got to Horseshoe meadows two days before our scheduled day hike. Spent the first day reading and did a 6 mile hike to the New Army Pass/Cottonwood Lakes junction.

The next day we drove to the Portal for breakfast. YUMMY CARBS!

After picking up some supplies in Lone Pine we headed back to the campground for more acclimatization. Soon smoke started rolling in and then it started raining ash. This was from both the Yosemite fire and the "Fish" fire in Kern County. Many people left due to the smoke, we just shut the tents and enjoyed the browned skies. The smoke ended up clearing out about 7pm, bed time was at 8pm

Woke up at 2am to hit the trail early. Ended up actually starting at 3:30am. Began a nice steady pace up the trail.

We hit Trail Camp about sunrise and got to see some nice alpine glow.

Started up the 97 switchbacks... For the record I counted 100 going up, and 94 coming down.... Go figure...

Unfortunatly my buddy Josh started feeling the effects of the switchback and on #92 (Out of my 100) had to turn back. We tried to convince him to at least hit trail crest but the mountain won. We made sure he was ok, and watched him head back.

After my 100 switchbacks we hit Trail Crest, view was beautiful and you could see the smoke from the Fish fire. The smoke was not hurting our view any, but the winds were beginning to pick up

Starting the last push we could see the shelter way off in the distance.

Guitar Lake

Then at 11:15am we reached the summit. This would be Patrick's 5th summit, and my 1st.

Fat marmots trying to steal my bourbon :evil:

We started back down at 12:00 and got to see all the things we missed in the dark. Beautiful area, simply breathtaking.

We made it off the trail right at 5:00pm and rejoined with Josh for some burgers and a beer at the Portal store. 13.5 hours total round trip. Great times had by all!

More pictures can be found on my personal website.
    http://www.drunkreddragon.com/images...ney/index.html

http://www.drunkreddragon.com/images...5ft/index.html
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

2. Likes Taylor, Glenn, Udink, hattrick liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Damn dude! Congrats on the transformation! Awesome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Damn dude! Congrats on the transformation! Awesome.
    X2 like Acca said!! you owe it to yourself and you did. Even when you where near 300 - great discipline and motivation on staying active. That's hard!

Good job on the climb - great pics. Look forward to more!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Congratulations! I love the New Army Pass area too. Some great destinations accessible from there.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Dang buddy! You are awesome!!!! Great work on all counts! Some day I want to stand atop the same peak!

Excellent work on all counts, and your buddy was wise to turn back. When I summited years ago one hike continued to the top, hacking up blood as he went.

Great job on the hard work!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mountain Man
    So awesome. I have the highest admiration for you. Not only is it physically hard at 300 to do what it takes, but it takes tremendous courage to overcome the embarrassment of exercising amongst fit people in sports like these.

Just excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    it takes tremendous courage to overcome the embarrassment of exercising amongst fit people in sports like these.
    Just excellent.
    One thing I have never been is embarrassed :). I like to take of my shirt at the climbing crags next to these 18 year old 6 pack ab boys climbing the same thing I am.

Personal Website

Congratulations, great place to hike. Next time around try and get a permit for June out of the portal. The trail from trail camp to trail crest will be closed, covered by late spring snow usually. So you end up making your own trail up the snow field for a couple of hours. I have great memories of climbing the snow, hiking on to Whitney, the rest of the trail is in the sun and pretty passable, then sliding back down from crest to camp in early afternoon. Best ice wegie ever. Nothing like trail camp, exhaustion, and stars...

Mountain Man
    My recommendation is to go the Mountaineer's Route next time, the way Muir did. Much less traffic, much wilder, and much more exciting.

14. Likes Eric Holden liked this post
    Awesome trip report, Eric. I'm not a "peak bagger" but you really got me thinking that I should attempt Whitney someday. Congratulations on your achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    Excellent work on all counts, and your buddy was wise to turn back. When I summited years ago one hike continued to the top, hacking up blood as he went.
    Yikes! I would have forced that guy to head back down. HAPE not good.

Personal Website

77 lbs loss??? AWESOME! Congrats! AND, nice TR!

It's time for some skinny canyons, methinks.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM