Thread: Vegas - The Maze

Vegas - The Maze

Turns out I forgot to make plans for this weekend. Anyone interested in coming to Vegas to hit up The Maze in Red Rocks? We've had a lot of rain lately, so it should be tip top full. Planned day is Sunday (lowest chance of rain over the weekend). I'd be looking for someone who is more on the experienced side to offset my beginnerness. PM me if you're interested!

Tim

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have done the maze twice and i hope you are prepared for a super long and hard day. first time we did it with three of us it took 15.5 hours and we rapped the last drop in the dark. Pretty scary. We also did a sneak rout from the top which drops in off of a pine tree right before you start the Crack Climp up to bridge mountain. If it wasn't a sunday and such large chaces for rain i would consider going. I wouldn't chace it with the rain we have been having. i have seen pictures of the last drop with monster fow shooting straight out of it. Best time to go is late spring when there is still flow from snow melt. If you go good luck its not a beginner canyon at all.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

I appreciate the comment. I've actually been having trouble wrapping my mind around why Icecube is rated a 4. I know a lot of beginners that have been through lately and even a large group that did a night descent a few weeks ago. Why do you think it's rated a 4? What do you think makes it a non-beginner canyon?

Too many different weather websites out there! One says zero percent chance of rain. Another says 50%. Window check says it's probably closer to 50% this morning. Hopefully I can hit it up after the monsoon is over but while it is still full of water.

The Maze is no longer a class 4 canyon - IMHO. Before it got bolted just under 2 years ago (mostly in the upper section), there were some anchor challenges and more difficult starts to raps which may have given the canyon an overall 4 rating. Now it is simply a moderately long canyon (8 to 14 hrs depending on group size and skill levels) with a lot of raps and some water. But it is still quite scenic and a lot of fun. Old Bill is more technical canyon (also in Red Rock), but that has now been bolted too, so some of of anchor issues are, well, no longer issues. But the down climbs in Old Bill are still more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by tjdowling View Post
    I appreciate the comment. I've actually been having trouble wrapping my mind around why Icecube is rated a 4. I know a lot of beginners that have been through lately and even a large group that did a night descent a few weeks ago. Why do you think it's rated a 4? What do you think makes it a non-beginner canyon?

Too many different weather websites out there! One says zero percent chance of rain. Another says 50%. Window check says it's probably closer to 50% this morning. Hopefully I can hit it up after the monsoon is over but while it is still full of water.

6. Likes tjdowling liked this post