Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $75 to Rappel Bridal Veil falls

$75 to Rappel Bridal Veil falls

This might not be news to many here, I'm just curious to see other's reaction to this:

Name:  13 - 1.png
Views: 716
Size:  353.0 KB

Is Bridal Veil doomed to become the next "Corona Arch", or "Birch Hollow"? (I mean in terms of popularity and accident rate)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So far as accident rates go I'm guessing Bridal Veil already exceeds both Birch and Corona Arch combined. SAR is hauling an injured hiker off the falls at least once a week.

FWIW: Utah High Adventure are also the same guys that operate the zipline and tube rental in Provo Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So far as accident rates go I'm guessing Bridal Veil already exceeds both Birch and Corona Arch combined. SAR is hauling an injured hiker off the falls at least once a week.
    Bridal Veil gets WAY more traffic TO the falls, and I imagine that those SAR calls are mostly for those that decided to hike too far up the face and quickly got over their heads. What % of those rescues were people going up there with ropes to do technical recreation? I know this might be a little nit-picky, but we all know the amplification of risk that happens when you add that technical factor. I guess my question is more like a death toll #.(which I think will correlate to increase in people going there for a "high-adventure" rappel AND due to the increased risk factor and higher price of mistakes)

Are we going to hear of more people going up there with their "harbor freight" ropes and paying the ultimate price?

Is this falls on Forest Service property ? If so, do they need a commercial permit to sell this experience?

FWIW: Utah High Adventure are also the same guys that operate the zipline and tube rental in Provo Canyon.
    They were also doing the Corona Arch Swing until that got shut down.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

7. Likes pikan liked this post
    My mistake... "High Country Adventure" operates the zipline and tube rental in Provo Canyon.

Is it both the upper and lower falls?
    Either way a pretty beefy waterfall for someone with little rappelling experience. Easy to get to and tons of fun for the rest of us though.

Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    Are we going to hear of more people going up there with their "harbor freight" ropes and paying the ultimate price?
    hee hee...i think i have an old picture around here of a well-known Bogger using a "harbor freight" rope <search, search>...

11. Likes Kuya liked this post
    I think that rappelling for the sake of rappelling is ridiculous. "Oooo, lets go rappel that waterfall, the most inconvenient place to rappel!"

13. Likes deagol liked this post
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I think that rappelling for the sake of rappelling is ridiculous. "Oooo, lets go rappel that waterfall, the most inconvenient place to rappel!"
    I was thinking of that too. Rappelling Bridal Veil Falls has nothing to do with canyoneering.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I was thinking of that too. Rappelling Bridal Veil Falls has nothing to do with canyoneering.
    It is a fun rappel - and yes, just for the sake of rappelling it. True - not "true canyoneering" but still a lot of fun. If you haven't done - I (and others here) would recommend it.

But you guys do know why they chose this spot to rappel, right?? - the exposure! The gaggles of people on the ground looking up (just like the last rap in Mystery) will pique their interest and increase exposure to their business. Makes sense.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

17. Likes pikan, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    True - not "true canyoneering"
    Actually it isn't any kind of canyoneering at all, true or fake, any more than rappelling off a building is.

I'm not against rappelling it, or claiming that it might not be fun; I'm just saying that it doesn't have anything to do with canyoneering.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

We call these type of rappels "Stunt Rappels".

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I don't care what it's called. Close to home, short enough to do after work, scenic, and shit tons of fun on a hot summer night. Add an ice cold beer afterwards...

I love me some ridiculous.

21. Likes jman, pikan, Kuya liked this post
    Actually it isn't any kind of canyoneering at all, true or fake.... I'm just saying that it doesn't have anything to do with canyoneering.
    I disagree. There are plenty of canyons in this world that require rappelling down waterfalls. Practicing those skills on rappels like B.V. falls very much applies to enhancing my canyoneering skills! To me it has everything to do with canyoneering!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Actually it isn't any kind of canyoneering at all, true or fake, any more than rappelling off a building is.
    No need to be cruel Scott! Us northern Utah folk gotta do something to get by between rounds of the real stuff.

Name:  movie6.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  43.8 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

24. Likes pikan, Sandstone Addiction, Kuya liked this post
    Agreed

I completely dissociate the two activities. While they are not mutually exclusive, simply rappelling down a waterfall as a stunt to show off for a crowd does not constitute "canyoneering"

If you want to run around rappelling down waterfalls for the hell of it, fine, but I'll maintain that I thinks it's ridiculous.

There are plenty of canyons in this world that require rappelling down waterfalls.
    Of course there are. Probably most of them outside the CP, but rappelling Bridal Veil Falls is not canyoneering. The canyon is above the falls (it makes a nice route to the summit from the bottom up; especially when the tram was still running) so I guess if you start at the top of Cascade Mountain and come all the way down it may very marginally qualify.

As Shane said, Bridal Veil Falls is a stunt rappel.

Practicing those skills on rappels like B.V. falls very much applies to enhancing my canyoneering skills!

That doesn't mean it is canyoneering. I learned to rappel off the Fireman's Tower in Ogden Utah. It was not canyoneering. Did I learn some of the skills needed for canyoneering? Certainly.

Does that mean that rappelling off the Fireman's Tower is canyoneering? Nope.

Of perhaps I should just say:

I completely dissociate the two activities. While they are not mutually exclusive, simply rappelling down a waterfall as a stunt to show off for a crowd does not constitute "canyoneering"
    ^^^^^^^
    What he said.

As said earlier, I have no problem with anyone rappelling off Bridal Veil Falls, guided or unguided. It just shouldn't be associated with a canyoneering route. It's simply a stunt rappel; nothing more and nothing less.

That's my own opinion, like it or loath it, agree or disagree.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Agreed

If you want to run around rappelling down waterfalls for the hell of it, fine, but I'll maintain that I thinks it's ridiculous.
    Ever try it before? Or Malans Waterfall up in Ogden? (Don't u live in Ogden?) Can't diss BV or Malans without having done it. You are welcome to tag along when we do it (Malans) next month.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

28. Likes pikan liked this post