Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $75 to Rappel Bridal Veil falls

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So far as accident rates go I'm guessing Bridal Veil already exceeds both Birch and Corona Arch combined. SAR is hauling an injured hiker off the falls at least once a week.

FWIW: Utah High Adventure are also the same guys that operate the zipline and tube rental in Provo Canyon.
    As a member of SAR Bridal Veil keeps us pretty busy. Anywhere from people being up too high without any lights after dark, people getting ledged out, to ice climbers that fall. We had a family hiking up and their son decided to run up the trail. He fell, tripped or slipped I don't know but, on that narrow trail he tumbled 30-40 feet down. We got him down and he took a helicopter flight to the hospy. Accidents of all kinds. I heard a story from another member that someone, years ago, was using a garden hose up there to descend.
    I've always thought about rappelling down BVF. I suppose I better get on it to become familiar with what's up there.

2. Likes pikan liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    It just shouldn't be associated with a canyoneering route. It's simply a stunt rappel; nothing more and nothing less.

That's my own opinion, like it or loath it, agree or disagree.
    OK ok.... I give in. I will just call it a CANYONING Route ;) Just kidding

I agree that it isn't technically a "Canyoneering route." BUT maybe, IF it was done as the final descent of Cascade Mountain, would it then be considered Canyoneering? Semantics I guess. actually if find it really funny that we are even having this debate. Anything to distract me from doing actual work i guess LOL!

Anyway, I have heard of this kind of adventure (rappelling down waterfalls) described as "Cascading" yes? no?

BACK To the point of this thread. As much as I love rappelling waterfalls, I really hope that this guide service selling this adventure doesn't make things more complicated for the rest of us.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

5. Likes pikan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpb View Post
    I heard a story from another member that someone, years ago, was using a garden hose up there to descend.
    EEK! WOW! I can't believe people do things like that? maybe having a guide available for this activity will be a good thing. Maybe people who conjure up ideas of rappelling with garden hoses would be better off hiring a guide instead!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

7. Likes pikan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Ever try it before? Or Malans Waterfall up in Ogden? (Don't u live in Ogden?) Can't diss BV or Malans without having done it. You are welcome to tag along when we do it (Malans) next month.
    It's not like I'm being closed minded about the situation. It simply has no appeal to me. You and Jeff Guest can do it all you want and post all the nauseating triple speed gopro stick-cam videos you like. I just think I'll spend my time doing activities that have more appeal to me as an outdoor enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    ...I really hope that this guide service selling this adventure doesn't make things more complicated for the rest of us.
    In my experience, it is usually the other way around. Guide services typically/ideally conduct safe and orderly trips, clean trash, "sweep" routes, etc. Recreational users, OTOH are more often known for creating SAR situations, leaving trash and (sometimes) ironically forcing out guiding operations that have served as a buffer between the un(res)trained masses and land managers and/or SAR.

That said, I know nothing specific about the guide service running trips at BVF. I hope they are a responsible outfit.

10. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    EEK! WOW! I can't believe people do things like that? maybe having a guide available for this activity will be a good thing. Maybe people who conjure up ideas of rappelling with garden hoses would be better off hiring a guide instead!
    Warm fuzzy thought but...
    I'm afraid that the reality is that the type of people who swing off cliffs from garden hoses are the least likely demographic to hire a guide. They are too cheap and ignorant to even attempt it correctly in the first place, let alone pay a premium for a guide for something they could do as a DIY activity.

12. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    You and Jeff Guest can do it all you want and post all the nauseating triple speed gopro stick-cam videos you like. I just think I'll spend my time doing activities that have more appeal to me as an outdoor enthusiast.
    You hear that jman? Quit with your Red Bull-inspired douchebag antic videos. Everyone knows that REAL "outdoor enthusiasts" don't make videos or take pictures to show their friends. Evidently real outdoor enthusiasts spend their non-outdoors time being dicks on the internet.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    You hear that jman? Quit with your Red Bull-inspired douchebag antic videos. Everyone knows that REAL "outdoor enthusiasts" don't make videos or take pictures to show their friends. Evidently real outdoor enthusiasts spend their non-outdoors time being dicks on the internet.
    Hey, get it right Austin - it's mtn dew!! Here's the thing - you can't please everyone, even to people who belittle and condescend to others.

It's okay I take no offense though.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

15. Likes ghawk, pikan, xxnitsuaxx, Kuya liked this post
    post all the nauseating triple speed gopro stick-cam videos you like.
    While I really enjoy canyoneering video's I will agree with one thing.... those triple speed gopro stick-cam videos are nauseating. They give me motion sickness and I have yet to watch more than 30 seconds of one....

17. Likes Canyonbug liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    In my experience, it is usually the other way around. Guide services typically/ideally conduct safe and orderly trips, clean trash, "sweep" routes, etc. Recreational users, OTOH are more often known for creating SAR situations, leaving trash and (sometimes) ironically forcing out guiding operations that have served as a buffer between the un(res)trained masses and land managers and/or SAR.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

I'm all for responsible guide services, unless they are competing directly with the public for a limited number of permits.

19. Likes pikan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    No offense intended. That's just what it is. I take plenty of pictures and videos (see my Heaps TR) but watching them at triple speed makes me dizzy. Ive said nothing about Mountain Dew or douche bags.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Recreational users, OTOH are more often known for creating SAR situations...
    Exception being maybe SAR practise on Bridal Veil Falls...hehe...

It's not like I'm being closed minded about the situation.
    No, it actually is exactly like that.

$75 to Rappel Bridal Veil falls

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    No, it actually is exactly like that.
    Zinged!