Thread: Northern Skyline to Perry Canyon

Northern Skyline to Perry Canyon

This ride had been on my radar for a while and I finally knocked it out this past weekend. It was an awesome ride with incredible scenery! There was a bit of hike-a-bike to get to the actual Ben Lomond peak as the trail deteriorates a bit and is full of baby heads. That being said, the hiking wasn't excessively long or hard. I advise you to not leave your GPS in the shuttle vehicle at the bottom of Perry Canyon. At Willard Basin we took a wrong turn that could have really sucked. Luckily we turned around before we lost too much elevation. Overall it is mostly singletrack with a few miles of dirt road in the middle to connect Willard Basin to the top of Grizzly Peak.

Morning view toward Powder Mountain

The "trail" on the last section approaching the peak.

Elevation Profile

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My attempt at stitching multiple photos into a panorama. Generally I hate mornings, but sometimes it's sure nice to be out before the sun rises.

Whoah! That is a CLIMB. Very cool man!

That sounds like a really fun route. Did you start at the divide? I have ridden all of that with the exception of the roads connecting Willard Basin to Grizzly Peak, but I have never done, nor thought of, doing that all in one route. I keep forgetting that you can connect Grizzly Peak to Ben Lomond. That looks awesome. Next time you want to attempt it, maybe consider posting a group ride on here. I would be up for it. :) Oh and that sunrise picture is awesome. What did you take it with?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    That sounds like a really fun route. Did you start at the divide? I have ridden all of that with the exception of the roads connecting Willard Basin to Grizzly Peak, but I have never done, nor thought of, doing that all in one route. I keep forgetting that you can connect Grizzly Peak to Ben Lomond. That looks awesome. Next time you want to attempt it, maybe consider posting a group ride on here. I would be up for it. :) Oh and that sunrise picture is awesome. What did you take it with?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    The whole route was tough, without being over the top. I can't emphasize enough how incredible the views are from both the skyline trail as well as the upper part of the Perry Canyon trail. I'll keep you in mind if we get out there again this year.

The panorama was just 3 pictures taken with my iPhone and stitched together with some free Panorama software.

Toward the end of this ride my shifting was all out of whack and I couldn't figure it out. However, I knew that I was very very close to a very long downhill to the car, so I didn't really take too much time to figure it out. This is what I found later:

Hanging on by two little strands. I'm sure glad it didn't break on me during the ride. That would have made for some very difficult uphill pedaling!