Thread: Englestead with Eagle Scouts! One awesome adventure!

Englestead with Eagle Scouts! One awesome adventure!

It was now my opportunity to guide 4 others through Englestead Canyon. Because of the Zion National Park canyoneering permit system, we had to split up our group of 11. Six were to go through Mystery Canyon, the other 5 (myself included) were to go through Englestead!

All in my group could be considered new to the sport of canyoneering. Tyler and Kade had done a few large rappels before. So had Chris. But this was Chad's 3rd technical canyon ever. The only two he had done previously were the ones we did the day before! :D Needless to say, I was SUPER EXCITED to take these guys through such an incredible canyon. It was quite the step UP in canyoneering skill for everyone, but they all did awesome!

One of my favorite things is to see peoples reactions when they amazing things. Needless to say, I enjoyed very much observing the reaction when my group of new canyoneers first peeked at the gaping crack in the earth called Englestead Hollow. WHAT AN AMAZING SIGHT! I love the places canyoneering takes me!

That first drop took a bit longer than I had initially planned. I provided a top belay for everyone going down that drop, and it just took a while managing that belay rope and getting everyone safely hooked in. After about an hour - more or less- we were all finally down the big drop! Everyone was in awe about what they just did! To celebrate we all sang a resounding version of Happy Birthday to Chad! He was celebrating his birthday in Englestead Canyon that day!

The rest of the canyon is amazing as well! There are a dozen or so rappels in the canyon. Most of them are at either the very beginning of the canyon, or toward the very end. The middle is kind of a nice stroll. The rappels at the beginning are some of my very favorite. The narrows in this part of the canyon are some of the best I have seen!

However, rappelling in this canyon is much different than some of Zion's easier canyons. The drops do not have bolts, and many times the rappels require a difficult and very awkward start. Some of my lighter Eagle Scouts had a difficult time because they couldn't get on rappel very easy. but all in all, even if some drops were pretty slow going, we all had a great time!

The canyon was SO FUN! one I will be happy to again :D One of the factors that makes this canyon one of my favorites is the exit hike out of Orderville Canyon and the narrows. Orderville is incredibly beautiful and always a treat to see!

From the time we got dropped off at the TH to the time we arrived at our shuttle car at the visitor center, it was about 11 hours. We got dropped of a little after 8am, and arrived at the car a little after 7pm. part of that time was waiting around to watch our other group come down the final rappel in Mystery Canyon! That was super cool!

CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You're a good Englestead guide!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    You paint a wonderful picture of the experience...

Tom

5. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Well done. It was nice meeting you and chatting in The Narrows. Glad you didn't have to wait long for your crew to get down Mystery Falls after that interesting group in front of them. As a former scout leader I'm curious about the way you refer to them as your "eagle scouts". Does this mean they are all eagles or are working on their eagle? Some kind of reward trip?

Great job. Epic canyon. The kids will never forget you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj84737 View Post
    Agreed!!! Nothing more fun than sharing a great experience with others. Pass it along!

Great paintings too - very neat.

Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    You're a good Englestead guide!
    Thanks @pikan! :) I had some awesome help. The other leaders with me were quick learners and were very valuable in helping to manage the canyon obstacles.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    You paint a wonderful picture of the experience...

Tom
    thanks @ratigonia! I figured most of us have seen pictures of Englestead. why not changed it up a bit :) For those interested there are some actual photos of the trip HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Well done. It was nice meeting you and chatting in The Narrows. Glad you didn't have to wait long for your crew to get down Mystery Falls after that interesting group in front of them. As a former scout leader I'm curious about the way you refer to them as your "eagle scouts". Does this mean they are all eagles or are working on their eagle? Some kind of reward trip?
    @Taylor, It was nice meeting you guys. Talking to you made me even more excited for our Imlay trip that is coming up in a few weeks. Yeah... watching that "other" group come down Mystery falls was interesting. I guess they were from the Jordan (as in the Middle East). Nice people, But it took their group of 4 almost 12 hours to do Mystery. Ouch! They must have rigged up a rappel whenever they saw a bolt!

anyway, yes. This trip was a reward trip for all the boys how had earned (or were really close to earning) the rank of Eagle Scout in our troop. It was intended to help motivate some of our "slower progressing" scouts. dangling the proverbial carrot like this helped for some of the boys! Mostly it seemed like a vacation for the leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Aj84737 View Post
    Funny you say that. Really what I think sticks out most in their mind was the 10 racks of bbq ribs and Tri Tip steaks (with back up ribeye steaks when the Tri tip ran out). Seriously, I don't think I have had better steak than what one of the scout leaders cooked that night. If you were to ask the boys right now what they remember the most, the would probably tell you "THE STEAK!"

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Agreed!!! Nothing more fun than sharing a great experience with others. Pass it along!

Great paintings too - very neat.
    Thank you! I agree with you too. I LOVE sharing these beautiful places with my friends and family. It is so fun to see beautiful places like this and to see others reactions to the same places.
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

10. Likes pikan, ratagonia liked this post
    My turn to be envious!

Strong work Blake. I like how you stylized the photos.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

12. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    My turn to be envious!

Strong work Blake. I like how you stylized the photos.
    Thanks! it was no epic adventure in Kolob with killer bees! But it was fun :D
    My YouTube Channel

Those pics are cool!