Thread: Rules of Engagement: Calf Creek Falls

Rules of Engagement: Calf Creek Falls

I have visited Calf Creek Falls several times, but always from below. The other day, I found this picture on the web, and wondered if others have rapped down Calf Creek. Its a crowded place. Is there any "code of conduct" or etiquette regarding rapping the falls? As in, time of year, time of day to do it, or even doing it at all.

Anyone have experience or opinions about this particular canyon?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm not sure about the rules, if there are any, but I can't wait to do that rappel! :D

I'm assuming that cascading down this waterfall requires the same care as rappelling down any popular waterfall. You most definitely want to be very conscious about rocks and other debris falling. Often times I will not even though my rope. Either I bring it down with me and let it feed out of my rope bag as I am rappelling OR I lower it down slowly so that it won't hit someone.

Once the first person is down, then they can better manage the rappelling area. It is idea if you have a team member already at the bottom you can communicate with and have them clear the rappelling area even before the first person starts rappelling.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

It is legal, but my own opinion is that if you feel that you must do it, you should try and do it when few tourist are around. Off season, mid-week, etc.

Also, you would have to be extremely careful about throwing your rope down as there may be people soaking in the pool. Also, it should be done with a very small group so you're not "hogging the falls" and be done quickly in case anyone wants photographs of the falls that don't have a rappeller in them.

So, yes it is legal and can be done, but one must be extra careful in order to make sure it is done ethically. The same could be said for all tourist areas.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

5. Likes SRG liked this post
    I put rappelling Calf Creek Falls in the same category as holding a family picnic under Delicate Arch. Yes you can do it, but do you really need to just because you can?

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taatmk View Post
    I have visited Calf Creek Falls several times, but always from below. The other day, I found this picture on the web, and wondered if others have rapped down Calf Creek. Its a crowded place. Is there any "code of conduct" or etiquette regarding rapping the falls? As in, time of year, time of day to do it, or even doing it at all.

Anyone have experience or opinions about this particular canyon?
    To rappel this 120' waterfall, you will need 200' ropes. 120' is from the ledge you can see in the photo: there is more rap above, and you need some length to get to shore to do the pull. You will also need a long piece of webbing and a large rapid link. People visiting the top of the falls tend to retrieve the sling and recycle it (dog leashes?).

Hitting people with the rope is highly unlikely. Swimming to the BASE of the waterfall is difficult due to the current and the blast of air. But still, yes, rap down to the ledge, and toss the bag from there where you can see the bottom.

This rappel EATS ropes. That same ledge tends to have a sharp edge, and there is a tendency to slide the rope across that edge. The geometry is funky, and the point where you go over the edge is an important choice. Some will create a swinging fall to one side or the other. Hard on the rope, and hard on the rappeller.

This is a true Class C canyon. There is a lot of water there, dropping a long way. This is not a beginner-friendly-ish adventure, it is a serious, technical canyoning adventure - treat it with respect. I've tried a guided rappel, but it does not really work.

Tourists dig it. GSENM management don't. So: do a good job, don't do it a lot, don't get yourself rescued. It is a special treat.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...-canyoneering/

Tom

8. Likes french_de, Mountaineer, Kuya liked this post
    I dunno...its such a popular spot. First issue with rappelling it and it'll be illegal.

Like Tom said, its got big flow and would be serious. Do not back up your rappel with a autoblock or Prusik on this one!!

I've looked at it, looked at the anchor, looked at the drop, and, decided against it. Mid week in the off season? Maybe. Not near any popular weekend, IMHO.

Yeah, can be done. But...should it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Yeah, can be done. But...should it?
    YouTube demands it.

11. Likes MrAdam, bjp, canyoncaver, tcott liked this post
    Only with high energy music and buff, scantily clad young adults acting like they're refugees from the mini mouse club...

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Whoaaa--dude--extreme canyoneering--knarly....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

someone will put another rope swing in there soon enough.... and die.

We rapped Lower Calf Creek last summer and enjoyed it very much. There are other waterfalls that I would consider more of a stunt rappel (climb up from the base of the falls, rap and repeat). This one is typically done as the fantastic finish to a hike downstream from the upper to the lower falls. Of course, others may not agree with the distinction or consider it relevant. We dropped the guys at the top then sent the girls back down to spot the car and hitch back up the road. I think the hike took a couple of hours from upper to lower falls. It is one of the best hikes in Escalante in my opinion.

Tom's beta is spot on, you need two 200' ropes and be prepared for no anchor to be present. We used a tree that was perhaps 20'? back from the pour off and opposite side of the flow. Although it couldn't be seen from below, I regretted leaving that much anchor(trash) behind. The wall behind the falls is extremely slippery/mossy and the natural fall line puts you directly in the flow. NOT to be done without a helmet. You don't need a wet suit during warm weather. It is a floating disconnect. Without radios, there is no way to communicate between top and bottom.

We had positive reaction from tourists/hikers who watched us. There weren't any rangers present so I wont speculate on their position. I would do it again. Enjoy.

I've done it twice and it's a lot of fun. The hike down is beautiful as you're walking in the stream bed for most of it - rather subway-esque. Rig the first stage at the top with a retrievable off a big tree right in line with the waterfall. Take a lot of webbing and a couple rings for rigging and know before hand how to set it up. You don't have to leave anything behind and both times I did it, there was nothing there when we got there and we didn't leave anything either. Rap down the upper portion of waterfall to the ledge-about 25'. You will get wet here and it's pretty slippery. Be careful if you're the first one down at this ledge to stay on rappel as you need to work you way over to the ledge LDC right. We used a 60m here double stranded so as to be sure to have plenty for the belayer to safely guide the subsequent rappellers over onto the ledge. If you go over the edge here staying in the water course, you'd better hope you've used a long enough rope or you'll be falling off the end and sliding down the wall into the pool below. There's a pretty good pothole on this ledge that will swallow you if you fall in it-all the more reason to stay on rappel until you get safely down to the aforementioned ledge to your right LDC. On the top of this ledge are 2 bolts and hangers and they may still have webbing on them but again be prepared to replace it. There was no webbing there when I did it the first time. The rappel down from the ledge is a bit over 100' and a good share of it is free hanging. But this gets you out of the pounding waterfall with only a little water hitting you as you can see in my photo. Hopefully the bolt Nazis won't remove the bolts on the ledge like they did at the top of the waterfall. It's a bit of an awkward start as the ring needs to be extended for the pull and the wall cuts under immediately. Use plenty of rope and after the first one goes down set the length as it will be a swimming disconnect. You're all wet and your ropes are wet so we double stranded this rappel also. Radios are a must and be prepared with a way to keep them dry. And you'll probably have an audience.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

17. Likes Kuya, Taylor liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    Hopefully the bolt Nazis won't remove the bolts on the ledge like they did at the top of the waterfall.
    Consider them removed.

... so we double stranded this rappel also.
    Real Class C.

You are a danger to yourself and others.

(only about 1/3 kidding).

Don't do that. Don't do big waterfalls without knowing how to do them safely.

And certainly, don't break Rule #2.

Tom

19. Likes MrAdam liked this post
    I've done it both ways - first time used 2 300' ropes. One for the retrievable and one for the rappel to get over to the shore and had the rope eating edge destroy it. I found the ledge rappel just as enjoyable, didn't leave any litter behind, got everyone down safe and got to take home all my gear intact.