Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.10 savants: love and hate

5.10 savants: love and hate

So... I've had a pair of five-ten savants for about a year now. Its been up and down, and we've had a lot of good times and made a lot of memories, but I'm afraid it's time we went our separate ways. When I first got them, I struggled to get the fit right, but after adjusting the lace pattern to better accommodate my hard-to-fit feet, our love affair began. We have enjoyed many a canyon together, many a weary trail mile all over the plateau with hardly a thing to complain about. I lovingly seam-gripped every inch of thread, glued the lining back down after it peeled up, and always rinsed them free of sand between adventures. Our love was strong, but the magic has faded with time. It all started when I got my first pair of 5mm neoprene socks. At first I thought the two could co-exist, but who was I kidding. The socks literally came between us, drove us apart. Jealousy began to fester and erode our once strong bond. I even removed the insoles upon donning the socks at the start of every technical section, thinking that would allow the two to share my feet and avoid the friction that had crept into the mix. It was only a temporary fix. In time the savants became vindictive and even tried to hurt me, hoping that I would blame the socks in an attempt to drive the socks out of the picture. They began to shrink in an attempt to make the socks uncomfortable and want to leave. They even started giving me blisters when wearing normal socks, something they never used to do. I saw through this thin veil and have seen the savants for what they really are: jealous warm-water adventure shoes. While they have qualities that are hard to find in just any shoe; impeccable grip, great fit (when adjusted properly), and great durability when seam-gripped thoroughly; they have their faults, like most every lover. They will always hold a special place in my heart, and will brought along for warm-water forays, our torrid love affair will never amount to any sort of lasting relationship. The neo socks are here to stay (for any water less than 50f). In time, we will simply be reduced to friendship status.

Meanwhile, I search for another who can accept the socks as part of me and who won't be jealous, one who will fill the void and provide for me the things that the savants never could.

-- sleepless in Ogden.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

No Like Button. Not to mention they are about the ugliest shoes ever invented.

Meanwhile, I search for another who can accept the socks as part of me and who won't be jealous, one who will fill the void and provide for me the things that the savants never could.
    Buy another pair 2 sizes larger? Sorry, I tend to approach these things more logically, less emotionally.

I would be ordering a new pair of Savants. They did just great with the 2.5 mm neo socks and a wool liner sock. I'd be ordering my next pair but in the five tennie wisdom, they stopped making this shoe! I knew we were in trouble when Adidas bought the company. Has anyone tried the Ivo Knivos? Unfortunately like a lot of the new line up, they are leather bombers.

Ken

I think I'm going to try the lasportiva explorers. My brother and a friend of mine both have them. They really like them. I'll go up 1/2 size (or full for euro sizes) and get the seam grip ready...

Scratch that.... Salewa wildfire anyone? May I be the first?

The Savants are great if you like a LOT of sand funneled into your shoes. On the plus side, I'm having a tough time finishing mine off, and they are very comfortable. No poetry will be written when they die, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Scratch that.... Salewa wildfire anyone? May I be the first?
    My buddy wore a pair through Checkerboard. They held up well and he seemed to like them. I really like how the toe area is constructed, looks very tough. Grippy too.

FWIW, Summit Hut has the La Sportiva Boulder X and Xplorers on sale for $70. Got me a pair of each to try out.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Damn bro, if you get that way over a shoe I'd hate to see what it's like when you go through a break up. Haha jk. On a side note that salewa shoe looks freakin badass. No clue if it's a good canyon shoe but it is certainly the coolest looking shoe I've seen.

Went and tried on the explorers and the wildfires today with my neo socks. Hands down the wild fires fit better. They came home with me. They are more comfortable right out the box to begin with. I like the 3 piece footbed design, I have very wide/high volume feet and the Salewas were very tunable using this feature with a regular sock. The adjustment range on the wildfires is greater as well. The shoes appear very well built and there is hardly any stitching on it. The whole thing is molded and welded as one piece, which Salewa claims produces are more comfortable, consistent, and durable shoe. They aren't lightweight trail runners like they may appear. They are a very stout shoe and have rubber and urethane everywhere which bodes well for the canyon environment. The uppers will drain well enough and have a lot more material to help keep sand out. I'm really very excited about this shoe. Reviews are all positive. I think it won a few awards as well. I'll keep my savants for warmer water where I don't need the thick socks, but they have been out on second string for sure. The inaugural canyon for these shoes will be full Imlay in one day in two weeks. I'm very excited.

Went and tried on the explorers and the wildfires today with my neo socks. Hands down the wild fires fit better. They came home with me. They are more comfortable right out the box to begin with. I like the 3 piece footbed design, I have very wide/high volume feet and the Salewas were very tunable using this feature with a regular sock. The adjustment range on the wildfires is greater as well. The shoes appear very well built and there is hardly any stitching on it. The whole thing is molded and welded as one piece, which Salewa claims produces are more comfortable, consistent, and durable shoe. They aren't lightweight trail runners like they may appear. They are a very stout shoe and have rubber and urethane everywhere which bodes well for the canyon environment. The uppers will drain well enough and have a lot more material to help keep sand out. I'm really very excited about this shoe. Reviews are all positive. I think it won a few awards as well. I'll keep my savants for warmer water where I don't need the thick socks, but they have been put on second string for sure. The inaugural canyon for these shoes will be full Imlay in one day in two weeks. I'm very excited.

Replacement Savants are on the store shelves.

I personally don't fit well in the Five Ten Canyoneer. I have relied on Savants also from the Five Tennies line. However, these shoes get trashed after a few canyons (what doesn't) and the shoes are no longer on the market. I was in REI today picking up my new Hoka running shoes (big fluffy midsole for the aging back) and spied new Adidias terrex approach shoes that look damn good for canyoneering. Stealth rubber and breathable uppers. I am going to try out a pair down the Virgin River in a couple of weeks. Has anyone tried these babies?

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The Adidas Terrex Solo you are showing is not the Stealth rubber version. It is the Traxion version. The Stealth rubber version is not expected to be available until early 2014. I saw them at summer Outdoor Retailers, and they look great. I plan on purchasing a pair when they become available.

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    The Adidas Terrex Solo you are showing is not the Stealth rubber version. It is the Traxion version. The Stealth rubber version is not expected to be available until early 2014. I saw them at summer Outdoor Retailers, and they look great. I plan on purchasing a pair when they become available.
    By then, my first pair will likely be worn out.

Been wearing my wildfires almost everyday. My impression of the shoe just gets better the more I wear them. Headed to Imlay this weekend, the ultimate test.

17. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Been using the Camp Four. Just did a canyon full of water this weekend, with neoprene socks underneath, and they held up great! Fantastic grip. I think I found my shoe as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Been using the Camp Four. Just did a canyon full of water this weekend, with neoprene socks underneath, and they held up great! Fantastic grip. I think I found my shoe as well...
    I also thought I found my shoe in the Camp Four....... however, after getting wet and drying over and over again, the leather upper has become extremely hard when dry and causes painful hot spots when you first begin hiking in them. My solution has been to soak them down the night before a canyon, the leather is then pliable the next morning. The shoes are still damp, but not enough to soak into my socks.

20. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Been wearing my wildfires almost everyday. My impression of the shoe just gets better the more I wear them. Headed to Imlay this weekend, the ultimate test.
    Never saw any followup...are they as great in action as you had hoped?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The Five Ten Runaway's are very similar to the old Savants, lighter and less mesh on high wear areas. Moutain Gear has them on sale currently:http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore..._/R-214117.htm

Biggest crap shoe we ever bought! My wife and I bought new Savants for our 3 month South america backpacking trip. Soles separated after 3 weeks on both! Had to have them repaired down there, but did not last long. Would not buy again! Our Merrils do good in canyons....