Thread: 3 things I should know--before going canyoneering

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

3 things I should know--before going canyoneering

1- Be very proficient at hooking up your rappel device.(sounds simple but practice in various scenarios)
    2- Be very proficient at knowing how to lower a person.
    If you know how to lower a person, you can rotate lowering beginners in your group until all are proficient rappelers.
    3- Be very proficient at a bottom/firemans belay.

With these 3 skills, you should be able to safely get any group of beginners through a canyon.
    Scenario: Lower one of the least experienced rappelers,First.
    That person, being proficient at a bottom belay can now do so for all rappelers coming down.
    The last person, generally more experienced but for sake of this scenario,a beginner who has the skills to properly get rigged on rappel.

Now just rotate lowering first person with all in group until everyone has had a chance to practice these 3 skills, live, in a canyon.

Fun, safe, canyon experiences should be the result.

(as an aside--it would be ideal to learn these things on a small incline, prior to putting someone on a wall, prior to entering a canyon)

Good luck
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. Likes pikan liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Don't be a beginner, led by a beginner. Make sure at least someone in your group is competent.

(This is hard, because as a beginner, it is hard to judge someone else's competency.)

5. Likes Mountaineer, pikan, blueeyes liked this post
    I guess I'd venture to say--If someone made a concerted effort to learn the 3 skills I mentioned,prior to going in a canyon, they would be way ahead of most beginners and likely not classified as such any longer.

3 skills, that if practiced as a group, would make said group, a safe canyoneering group, capable of getting through beginner canyons.

Can anyone argue?

Is this not a reasonable, basic and solid foundation to begin canyoneering?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

But who wouldn't argue that it is best to learn from someone seasoned in the sport...(not me)

BUT---Ain't nobody got time for dat!

I would venture a guess that beginners leading beginners is the norm, more than the exception.

So why not address it and correct it with 3 easy steps, that can be learned and practiced in a 1/2 a day.

Your life worth a 1/2 a day?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

8. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Can anyone argue?

Is this not a reasonable, basic and solid foundation to begin canyoneering?
    I don't think anyone could argue. Indeed a good list, and obviously in response to the recent tragedy.

Let's not forget another recent canyoneering fatality at Pool Arch. Probably caused by an improper knot.

I would add: knowing how to inspect and tie a basic set of knots; particularly the figure eight and water knot, to your list.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

10. Likes Mountaineer, pikan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Let's not forget another recent canyoneering fatality at Pool Arch. Probably caused by an improper knot.

I would add: knowing how to inspect and tie a basic set of knots; particularly the figure eight and water knot, to your list.
    Knots, types of anchors. Add some ability to navigate.

Our list may continue to get a little longer?

3 skills, that if practiced as a group, would make said group, a safe canyoneering group, capable of getting through beginner canyons.
    It's a good start, but there is much more to be considered:

- anchor creation / evaluation
    - route finding
    - time management
    - nutrition / hydration
    - weather + watershed awareness
    - and others...

and of course, the king of skills: good judgment. many accidents occur with non-beginner groups who are highly skilled, yet made errors in judgment. Such errors are more likely to happen under stress, which can arise at any time due to any number of factors.

I find that most of the new people I have took with me have a lot harder time with the down climbing more so then the rappelling. However what you mentioned is a great start. Basic anchor knowledge is needed too. Accidents can happen to anybody however beginners are more prone to them. I think there is some complacency with some of the more advanced people too though. Having been there and done that so many times one could get bored and lazy and overlook something simple.

While there is certainly much more to canyoneering than the 3 basic item's I've listed,

Basic knot skills would certainly come under "proficient", as would anchor evaluation.

What percentage of canyoneering trip's are beginners leading beginners?

I'd venture to say--A bunch.

1)-Lower
    2)-Belay
    3)-Rappel

repeat.

So how many who have commented in this post--are proficient in lowering or have even practiced it?

How many know how and have practiced, lowering from a bottom belay?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Talk is cheap, lack of education in canyoneering, can be very pricey.....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of an area that would be good to practice some of this around St George. I have a tallish tree I've rigged to use but its much different than a canyon. Anywhere I know of with a short sloped drop perfect to practice lowering, belaying and ascending are either permit only, and/or a busy canyon. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

So how many who have commented in this post--are proficient in lowering or have even practiced it?

How many know how and have practiced, lowering from a bottom belay?
    I have done both now, but my beginner experience was a little different.

I read a few forums, read the book Freedom of the Hills, and thought I was ready. I bought a rope (happened to be accessory cord), harness, ATC/biner, a few nuts and a sling. Headed to Lake Powell, got on a 30' cliff and setup an equalized 3 point anchor. I was ready! I followed the book and what everyone suggested. On the descent, two of my anchors popped out. Subsequently hit the wall hard and injured a shoulder. After that, my wife insisted I take a class. I lived. Dumb luck.

You would think beginners would go with someone experienced first, or at least get some training? But I think we know it doesn't happen very often...I'm an example.

So maybe we need a pyramid for beginners. We use the 3 basic things you've listed, and work up from there. (For example, anchors may be the next level up - as I messed up on that one first time).

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.N.E. View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone knows of an area that would be good to practice some of this around St George. I have a tallish tree I've rigged to use but its much different than a canyon. Anywhere I know of with a short sloped drop perfect to practice lowering, belaying and ascending are either permit only, and/or a busy canyon. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    There is a good practice area at the Chuckwalla trail just North of Sunset & Bluff. It's about 30', sloped, and quick to walk back up top. Park at the trailhead, cross the gate/fence, and it's on the rock face east of the trail.

19. Likes D.O.N.E. liked this post
    I know exactly where you are you talking about! I've seen climbers in the area, I didn't even think to use it for rappelling. Many Thanks, I'll be making good use of it :)

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.N.E. View Post
    I know exactly where you are you talking about! I've seen climbers in the area, I didn't even think to use it for rappelling. Many Thanks, I'll be making good use of it :)
    A really good spot also in Red Cliffs, can start with a slopping rappel, all the way up to overhanging, good spot.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I have done quite a bit of lowering from the top and would say I'm proficient in that skill. As for lowering from the bottom belay I've only played around a little bit with it. Mainly just to show new people that I can stop them from the bottom and to not be scared of rappelling. And also if I want to pick on my friends I'll pull the rope tight and stop them and leave them hanging till I see fit lol.

As far as how I got started was lots of research and reading various books. Then buying the gear and practicing over and over in a controlled environment till I felt good about it. Then off to Yankee doodle we went. Probably not the normal way to go about things. But I've always learned the best from self teaching. Would I say this is the best or safest way for everybody. No I would not. But for me it's what worked good. I already had spent most of my childhood and teen years in the wild backpacking and other outdoor stuff so the only part that was really new was the rope activities.

23. Likes Taylor liked this post