Thread: SE Promontory Road: Access? Worth a visit?

SE Promontory Road: Access? Worth a visit?

I'm curious about "SE Promontory Road" (see map). When I checked with Box Elder County, I was told it's 'a public road. I've also been told there's a locked gate at some point, but I don't know where. On google earth I can see where the road appears to go from pavement to dirt. There's a fenceline and what looks like a gate on the road, but of course I can't tell if it's locked or just a livestock barrier.

Anybody ever been down that way? Is the road open, or is it possible to obtain access? Is there anything of particular interest to see or do, other than a different angle on the lake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't remember there being a lot to see out there other than driving along side the mountain range with other viewpoints of the lake, out at the end there were some minimal facilities for the brine shrimp outfits and Railroad property for the causeway which were posted, I don't remember gates on the road but seem to recall the side roads were gated.

OK, thanks for the info! How long ago were you out there?

That was back in 2009

Update: I made it out there on Sept. 1. I forged ahead despite the sign in the first photo!

There were actually quite a few things worth seeing, including the Trestlewood company's facility. They salvaged all the wood from the old Lucin Cutoff railroad trestle after UP built the causeway.

Also, GSL Minerals' pump station is at the SW tip of the Promontory. This is involved in bringing water from the west side of the lake to their facility on the east side. Though the thousands of live spiders all over their facility and worse yet all the cobwebs on some abandoned equipment was super creepy!

I didn't encounter a locked gate until a little north of the GSL facility.

Name:  IMGP1285.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  IMGP1310.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  IMGP1323.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  IMGP1339.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  IMGP1349.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  56.5 KB

Name:  IMGP1365.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  IMGP1376.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  IMGP1386.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  65.5 KB

7. Likes middlefork liked this post
    Nice. Seeing the salt encrusted rocks brings back some memories. BITD my dad used to hang chickenwire models off the old tressle when the trains were stopped waiting for one to pass. He would come back later and retrieve them as salt formations. Some turned out pretty impressive.
    Those spiders out there are huge!

Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    Those spiders out there are huge!
    What IS the deal with those things?! They are just everywhere around that site. I've never seen so many in one place before. Do you have any idea what type they are?

Edit: Apparently it's an "orb weaver" type spider referred to as the Saltair Spider. Here's one article about it:
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53...-salt.html.csp