Thread: utahpetrographs.blogspot.com

utahpetrographs.blogspot.com

I recently started (or spun off) a blog that documents the rock art sites I've photographed. It's pretty basic right now, but I'll keep adding to it as time allows. As long as the sites are already fairly well known, I will give directions or coordinates to help in finding them. One thing I have discovered is that Microsoft Photosynth can be an excellent way to organize and view rock art, so most of my posts will include a link to a synth.

The blog can be accessed at http://utahpetrographs.blogspot.com. (I know, "petrograph" is not a word, but "utahrockart" was already taken and "utahpetroglyphsandpictograms" is way to long.)

Name:  blog.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  76.6 KB

I hope this is useful to at least some of you in the Bogley community. Enjoy!

2. Likes Glenn liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kerk, I gotta say that browsing through your album sets with Photosynth was a lot of fun. I'd seen it used before (Yosemite bouldering...MLK memorial) but your use here was ideal for viewing rock art. Good Work.

Nice site Kerk. The last couple of years my wife and I have started taking more hikes where rock-art is the goal. So getting at least a general idea of where to go is helpful. Thanks, keep up the site :)

is the rock art safer from vandals and thieves if its hard to find - just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    is the rock art safer from vandals and thieves if its hard to find - just a thought!
    I totally agree, however I would tend to think that most vandalism occurs by people that chance upon the art. I don't think people research to find the rock art and hike in there with the specific goal of vandalizing it. I don't know, could be wrong I guess, but that's how it seems to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    I would tend to think that most vandalism occurs by people that chance upon the art. I don't think people research to find the rock art and hike in there with the specific goal of vandalizing it. I don't know, could be wrong I guess, but that's how it seems to me...
    I would surmise that most vandals are teenagers that have had too much to drink. Knuckleheads that don't realize the consequences of their actions.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

vandals...

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk View Post
    I would surmise that most vandals are teenagers that have had too much to drink. Knuckleheads that don't realize the consequences of their actions.
    Or Scoutmasters. Seriously, what were those guys @ Goblin Valley thinking?!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    There are two popular thoughts on that....

The first is the fewer that know about it the safer it is.

The second is the more that know about it the more resources can be used to protect it.

Both approaches have merits. But with the invention of the internet secerts are now measured in dog years. In the end I believe educating the public and seeking as much support as possible is the only method of preservation that can succed. YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum