Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Harness For My Wife

Best Harness For My Wife

Hey guys my wife is just starting to get into canyoneering and I'm looking for any input on a good harness for her. I currently use my climbing harness which is the BD Momentum just wanted to see what any of you have gotten for your wives/ girlfriends or any of the ladies on here use and like.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Myself, my wife and my two daughters all use the BD Alpine BOD harness.

They are simple.
    They are relatively inexpensive.
    You can put them on standing up which is nice when you are standing in a muddy canyon.
    They don't hold water, which is a problem with many padded harnesses.
    They are light weight.

As far as I'm concerned it's the only harness to use for CP canyoneering. YMMV...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Myself, my wife and my two daughters all use the BD Alpine BOD harness.

They are simple.
    They are relatively inexpensive.
    You can put them on standing up which is nice when you are standing in a muddy canyon.
    They don't hold water, which is a problem with many padded harnesses.
    They are light weight.

As far as I'm concerned it's the only harness to use for CP canyoneering. YMMV...

My only concern is that I have heard (Not sure if its true) that you can't use the leg loops on that harness to make a Z Rig to add friction on a long rappel. have you had any issues with such things?

Bogley BigShot
    This is a sign this group have gone to the dogs! I see the thread and I am not thinking canyoneering harness. Eek!

If you don't get the answer that you are looking for, call Bo Beck at the Desert Rat. He
    sells harness to women all the time, and they come back in the store and give him feedback on how they worked.

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    My only concern is that I have heard (Not sure if its true) that you can't use the leg loops on that harness to make a Z Rig to add friction on a long rappel. have you had any issues with such things?
    That is false. You can rig a Z-rig with the BOD just like any other harness. The only issue is you must make sure noobs clip to the actual leg loop and not the little snap clip that allows the BOD to be put on while standing.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    This is a sign this group have gone to the dogs! I see the thread and I am not thinking canyoneering harness. Eek!

If you don't get the answer that you are looking for, call Bo Beck at the Desert Rat. He
    sells harness to women all the time, and they come back in the store and give him feedback on how they worked.

o.k.---can you describe the "harness" you had in mind?

Or if you can't describe it, pics would be fine....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

9. Likes tanya, Byron liked this post
    My wife uses the Mammut Mirage harness. It's about the cheapest harness we've ever been able to find. Amazon generally has it for less than $30. They also make one especially for women, though I'm not sure what the difference is (outside of color). I recommend it, though.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    o.k.---can you describe the "harness" you had in mind?

Or if you can't describe it, pics would be fine....
    Not "fine", but, much preferred!

I've Z rigged off my BD Bod harness many of times. Like Shane sez.

I don't prefer the Alpine version. The standard Bod has wider back straps for the leg loops which last longer. You can easily cut the padding out if you want. Also comes with a belay loop.

For the price, really hard to beat a BD Primrose or Momentum. They aren't that durable (especially if you don't protect the hind end region) but, they're nice, light, dry fast, comfy, adjustible, have four gear loops, haul loop, padded but not super thick, fold up nice and small (relatively speaking). Mine's beat to heck from not wearing a scuttlebutt or the sort, but, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. The new Momentum 3S should fit Tom's Scuttlebutt too (is that right, Tom?).

Also enjoyed using a Petzl Aspir and lending one to friends to use. Easy to fit, easy on and off, nice orientation of the loop for the rappel/belay biner. Its not that spendy, comfy, and has nice adjustibility.

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/moun...nesses-0/aspir

[QUOTE=tanya;541584]I see the thread and I am not thinking canyoneering harness. Eek! [QUOTE]

Whew.

My wife uses the BOD for canyons with fewer or shorter raps, and the BD Momentum SA for canyons with many or longer raps. The SA is mo' comfy.
    Last edited by Slot Machine; 08-17-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: recommended a discontinued model
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

14. Likes tanya liked this post
    Depends on canyons. For canyons with lots/long raps I use my climbing harness - go to local sporting goods store and try out what fits best for u. For Skinnies- Alpine BOD. It can be uncomfortable for men, have to rearrange things (serious). Women I know who use it do not have same problem, duh!!

16. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thanks for the info. I'm trying to surprise her with it but it sounds like I might be better to just take her and have her pick one out.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to surprise her with it but it sounds like I might be better to just take her and have her pick one out.
    You have to learn to love the BOD. Most folks love the BD Momentum SA, right out of the box. Surprise her with that one.

http://www.rei.com/product/819452/bl...imbing-harness

(post corrected above, the Momentum AL is no longer in production, nearly the same as the SA)
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Do NOT surprise - fit and comfort are very important.

Something to remember, a canyoneering harness is much different than a climbing harness. In canyoneering you spend very little time actually hanging in your harness, often you spend less than 15 seconds total per canyon. With a climbing harness you often spend hours hanging/belaying in your harness and it has to fit well for a fall. When buying a canyoneering harness I'm happy to trade a little 15 seconds of comfort for lightweight and ease of use. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    When buying a canyoneering harness I'm happy to trade a little 15 seconds of comfort for lightweight and ease of use.
    For me, that Alpine Bod/Bod hikes well, with, no circular leg loops that kinda bind when you walk. Super comfy for long distance hiking. Easy on and off, too.

The other harnesses mentioned adjust well, so...YMMV.

I am replying under my husbands name, so this actually is from a woman's perspective. I would absolutely have her try on a harness before purchasing one. And there are definite differences between men and women's fits. I believe that a women's harness sits higher on the waist. All I know is that a man's harness never feels right on me. I wanted a true "canyoneering" harness so my husband bought me the Petzl canyon harness, fail. That harness pulled on all the wrong places on me. I have also found that some harnesses have different waist / thigh ratios than others. Unless your wife is a really straightforward fit she will need to try one on, there simply is no rhyme or reason.
    My daughter and my SIL like the Black Diamond Primrose, not a canyoneering harness but in SoCal it is hard to find one in a store to try on so we take what we can get. I use an old Petzl that isn't on the market anymore, but it has served me well. It is pretty worn out and ready to be replaced.

All the women I go out with use women's harnesses.

23. Likes D.O.N.E. liked this post
    Spot on info from Steevo's wife. At most buy a harness, save the receipt and make sure the store has a good return policy. You surprise with the harness then take her in to try harnesses on and exchange if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    And there are definite differences between men and women's fits. I believe that a women's harness sits higher on the waist. All I know is that a man's harness never feels right on me....

My daughter and my SIL like the Black Diamond Primrose...
    Whoops! My wife's harness IS the Primrose, not the men's SA model. Thinking back... she did spend considerable time picking it out. So maybe not the best thing to surprise her with...

*dishes up a nice plate of crow for myself*

26. Likes Brian in SLC liked this post
    Thanks for all the help sounds like she'll be coming with me to pick one.