Thread: 06/07/13 - Spry Canyon

Blog Entries

06/07/13 - Spry Canyon

I know, I know....this is a bit old - but I realized I forgot to post it here! Whoopsadaisy!

We did this back in June on a hot day! It was a first of all of us, in the canyon and this the video edit of it.

.....and quoted from Jeff (my buddy's youtube page):

"Be sure to watch at 1080p!

After doing Keyhole in the morning with our group of 5, we then hit up Spry in the HOT 100+ degree weather in the afternoon which was a mistake that we suffered through. We got dropped off near the Pinecreek canyon parking and hiked up the road till we reached the Trail head. The approach takes anywhere from 1-2hrs before you hit the top of the canyon. Once you reach the top, enjoy the views!! They are incredible! From there, it is all downhill with a little bushwhacking at the beginning. Continue following the watercourse all the way down the canyon. There are about 9 rappels with the biggest being 165ft at the beginning. From the last rap, continue boulder hopping down to Pine Creek and boulder hop upstream to either the Pinecreek swim hole which is a little farther or continue downstream to the other parking lot. Please stay in the boulders and the entire way down and do NOT skip the last rappel and traverse over to the sand. There are many signs posted by the park about this. Spry is a pretty fun canyon, but the steep approach sucks!

I shot this video with my GoPro HERO3 Black Edition camera at 1080p at 30fps and edited with iMovie. I had my GoPro mounted to my GoScope Extreme which is a telescoping pole and it works great with the J-Hook mount! Get your GoScope at http://go-scope.com."
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, D.O.N.E., Byron liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

OUTSTANDING! You guys are stylin'...I feel so inadequate with my little point and shoot.

I wanted to rip thru this one too while I was there last week, but Mr. (Miss?) mountain lion had other ideas. If it's open the next time I'm there, this will be the first canyon I hit as a warmup. Looks awesome.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

AWESOME! Man, you got some KILLER shots on that video!

Great shots and editing. Love the spinning/flying camera!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

'It is hard to tell but' it did not look like you guys did the standard entrance to Spry. Hike up Pine Creek drainage (very flat and 50' wide) for 20 min til it starts to squeeze and then scramble up 4th class slabs to your left. Top out just below the big bowl, then 2/3rd class hike up bowl to saddle. Am I seeing it wrong? Or is this something diff?

Nice! Favorite Jeff Guest video by far!! I really like his other videos but this one was rad, I loved the different camera hand offs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    'It is hard to tell but' it did not look like you guys did the standard entrance to Spry. Hike up Pine Creek drainage (very flat and 50' wide) for 20 min til it starts to squeeze and then scramble up 4th class slabs to your left. Top out just below the big bowl, then 2/3rd class hike up bowl to saddle. Am I seeing it wrong? Or is this something diff?
    You are correct. We didn't follow the drainage, we tried to stay level (coming from the road) for the most part and keep hiking up horizontally until we got near the petroglyphs and it becomes much more steep. The drainage was about 200-300 feet below us and we didn't want to go down just to come back up again... Especially on this hot day.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Look hot but fun! Great editing as always

Awesome!
    We did Spry this same day, just hours in front of you. What clued me in was that I recognized all the anchors I rebuilt. I think I rebuilt 6 total. That day was soooo hot! My buddy Jamin got heat stroke just 5 minutes before hitting Pine Creek's swimming hole. He was barely standing up straight and all hunched over with his head down all zombie like. I carried his pack for the last bit and basically pushed him into the pool to cool off. Anyway we got him liquids from the waiting truck and he snapped right out of it, kinda scary though.

Hey, I was looking at a particular anchor I made and noticed you have a weird setup on that rap. Can you explain what is going on here? There seems to be the rapide I left behind but now there seems to be a some kind of wired biner too?
    Name:  Spry_3rd_rap.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  56.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Awesome!
    We did Spry this same day, just hours in front of you. What clued me in was that I recognized all the anchors I rebuilt. I think I rebuilt 6 total. That day was soooo hot! My buddy Jamin got heat stroke just 5 minutes before hitting Pine Creek's swimming hole. He was barely standing up straight and all hunched over with his head down all zombie like. I carried his pack for the last bit and basically pushed him into the pool to cool off. Anyway we got him liquids from the waiting truck and he snapped right out of it, kinda scary though.

Hey, I was looking at a particular anchor I made and noticed you have a weird setup on that rap. Can you explain what is going on here? There seems to be the rapide I left behind but now there seems to be a some kind of wired biner too?
    Name:  Spry_3rd_rap.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  56.0 KB
    We saw a group ahead of us that day and it was probably you guys. The only tough part of the hike was the entrance and once we reached the top we all cooled down and did fine.

About the anchor...that was many months ago. I asked Jeff and we can't remember why we chose to do it that way. Sorry. Perhaps it was to extend the anchor point a bit further due to those rope grooves... I don't recall exactly.

We did see all of your leftover biners though ;)

-Brett
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

They should name that place Groovy Canyon....