Thread: Nice family hikes near Jackson Hole?

Nice family hikes near Jackson Hole?

Heading to Jackson Hole this Sat - Wed for a vacation with my wife's extended family. They plan on spending their time watching fake cowboys fake shoot each other and looking at bison from their cars. I plan on slitting my wrists if I can't sneak my little herd of 5 out the door and onto a few nice hikes.

Sooo.... I haven't spent much time in Jackson Hole (5-6 days in my life I think) and I'm sure there are TONS of good hikes there. What would you all recommend. My kids are 4, 6, and 9. I will be carrying the 4 year old on my back some of the time I'm sure (not a big deal at only 29 lbs). Looking for a few 4 - 6 hour trips with at least one away from the hordes of people. Good waterfall or two would also be awesome.

Thanks
    -Tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    You didn't mention Yellowstone - too far? Hiking around the Tetons?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    You didn't mention Yellowstone - too far? Hiking around the Tetons such as Jenny Lake perhaps?

If you want cool waterfalls, drive to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and do uncle toms trail (something like that - google it for cool pics) which leads to Lower Falls.

You are right though, there is tons to do.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We will be in Yellowstone for a couple days and will probably hit the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. Seems like you really can't go wrong in the Tetons/Yellowstone but I'm thinking that there have to be some hidden treasures in the Tetons that don't have a million people on the trail.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Gravity View Post
    We will be in Yellowstone for a couple days and will probably hit the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. Seems like you really can't go wrong in the Tetons/Yellowstone but I'm thinking that there have to be some hidden treasures in the Tetons that don't have a million people on the trail.
    The Grand Canyon has lots of high tourist-y areas - lower and upper falls lookouts. But the uncle tom's trail is a gem if you will, in my opinion. A fun trail (especially for your kids, just put your 4yr old in a backpack) and GREAT upclose view of the Lower Falls.

You could hike Jenny Lake in the Tetons (it's a bit popular, but not shoulder-to-shoulder popular either) up to Hidden Falls, and then take a boat-ride back. It's a relatively short one and the kids (and you) can look forward to the boat ride and shave off a few miles of hiking.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

7. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Rafting the daily on the Snake River is always fun. To make it simple just book with one of the commercial guides.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3