Thread: Mystery Canyon...twice

Mystery Canyon...twice

I had a day to myself and decided to go through the magnificent, marvelous Mystery Canyon. Last time through it was back in '04.

So I had it all to myself until I got to the spring rap. There I ran into another Bogley member, SlickRock, and 5 of his friends. I enjoyed it so much that I just wanted to do it again, so I convinced Ross, a Brit who is visiting for a week himself, to come with me the next day.

Ross and I had hiked the Narrows all the way just a couple days earlier, and he did very well and kept up nicely. He also told me that on a visit to Zion years ago, he went through Pine Creek but had the experts hook him up at the raps. For all I know they may have just lowed him like a sack of potatoes...but I figured he'd be OK. Besides, I brought enough rope to belay him if needed. I figured this may be the most awesome thing he'd ever done.

So Ross and I are taking a break at the top of Mystery when who shows up? Bill Koehler. He and I hit it off right away, and he stayed with Ross and I through the whole hike...we had too much fun, and a lot in common, too.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing wasn't exactly up Ross's alley, as he was probably the most ungainly, uncomfortable and rigid human being I've ever seen on a rope. With me above him, and Ross below giving orders though, he did well. We didn't berate or belittle him (well, maybe a little ) but we didn't wet nurse him either. He didn't whine, bitch, get mad or cry for mommy...he took it like a man.

So we made it through quite cleanly and had an awesome time. Bill, you are the man! Thanks for hanging out and making it a lot easier and more fun for me.

I figured I'd throw the whole wad up here so here are pics from both trips. Bill and Ross...right click on the pic and hit "view image" for blow up size. If you have a mac...I don't know what to tell ya.
    Attached Images Attached Images                      
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    For all I know they may have just lowed him like a sack of potatoes...but I figured he'd be OK. Besides, I brought enough rope to belay him if needed. I figured this may be the most awesome thing he'd ever done.

Great writeup and photos!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Blog Entries
    Nice Byron! great story and good pics! glad you were able to do Mystery again. IT is a fun canyon.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

5. Likes Udink liked this post
    Great - well, mostly great, apart from the bits my lawyers are looking at, ha, ha - write up and pictures Byron.
    What a top man to suggest showing a stranger newbie down the canyon - after doing it just 2 days earlier himself too. And he was going to do the same for Echo if he hadn't enjoyed Mystery more. Yes it was a real bonus trip - awesome, fun and even up my alley as I would otherwise be denied a chance to see these amazing places, and with only occasional visits from the UK to Utah, I wouldn't be confident enough to be proficient and remember everything to do them alone. And thanks also to Bill for joining us - it will take a while to sort through around 1,000 pics of my whole vacation, but I've got some great Mystery and Narrows pics which I'll add to the reports in a while.
    It brings me to the debate on the Birch Hollow death. While I realise my limitations and, with them, wouldn't try a long list of canyoneering trips. There is a short list of places I'd love to have the opportunity to see safely, like Pine Creek, the Subway and Mystery, but would never be able to do so without the kind help you canyoneers like Byron and the Rendezvous people give to newbies. I'd be limited to the masses doing Angels Landing. So hats off to all the canyoneers I've met who have all been very kind, patient and considerate to all skill levels. I've been quite amazed living in selfish city life. (I did the Black Hole after Mystery)
    Thanks also Byron for the helpful Echo description so I knew what to expect bottom up to the rap - and finally also for making ME look good for the tourists on the final Mystery rap down the waterfall when you slipped trying to bounce down in 4 seconds!! Regards, Ross

7. Likes Byron, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaniukr View Post
    and finally also for making ME look good for the tourists on the final Mystery rap down the waterfall when you slipped trying to bounce down in 4 seconds!! Regards, Ross
    Yes I did! It's called "blowin' it" while trying to show off! Lightning fast recovery though, eh?

I'm glad you had a great time, Ross. Some may complain a bit about noobs but I really get a kick out of turning people on to this stuff...you are officially no longer a "pilgrim", as I say.

Would any on like to do this with me in October?

Great pictures; looks like an amazing trip.

I will be in Zion mid-October for the first time and I actually have a couple of extra spots for Mystery Canyon on Sunday October 13th as well as a couple of extra spots for Subway Tuesday October 15th.

I will be traveling by myself and was going to rely on meeting people at the park when I got there, but it would be really nice to plan theses trips with people in advance--especially since I am flying down from Canada and don't want to fly with a ton of gear if I don't need to.

I've posted this information under "Looking for Mystery and Subway Trip Partners" in the main forum as well and you can contact me through the Bogely message board or directly at jeremiahaherne at hotmail dot com

You'll find someone...It's an outstanding canyon. I'd be happy to run you through it, but it looks like I've got nothing on the books but TONS of work for the next 4 months.

HOWEVER...anything could happen. If by chance, when that time comes around and I'm ahead of schedule, I just might rip out there. If I come, it'll be for at least 4 days. We'll see...I'll shoot you a message if I can pull it off. I won't know until the beginning of October. Good luck otherwise!

12. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    sorry the stitched pics are a bit big and messy, but stitching shows the scale of the place compared to us - and don't know why there's no border around and between the pics like Byron's. But there's some good 'uns.

Great pictures, Ross...I'd say we have a nearly complete photo journal of Mystery going here! The only pics lacking are of the slip and slide to get into the canyon.