Thread: Mieral Gulch/Parunuweap/Labyrinth Falls/Powell Plaque

Mieral Gulch/Parunuweap/Labyrinth Falls/Powell Plaque

Anyone out there with advice on a loop from mineral gulch, down parunuweap, and exit at the powell plaque? How long it would take to hike?. I am thinking I can do it in one long day. We will have two cars one parked at the Checker Board Mesa and another at the start of Mineral Gulch. Three of us are planning starting out hike at Mineral Gulch, then down the main canyon Parunuweap, until we hit Labyrinth Falls, then doubling back and exiting at the Powell Plaque the normal Misery route.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bretoyce View Post
    Anyone out there with advice on a loop from mineral gulch, down parunuweap, and exit at the powell plaque? How long it would take to hike?. I am thinking I can do it in one long day. We will have two cars one parked at the Checker Board Mesa and another at the start of Mineral Gulch. Three of us are planning starting out hike at Mineral Gulch, then down the main canyon Parunuweap, until we hit Labyrinth Falls, then doubling back and exiting at the Powell Plaque the normal Misery route.
    Bret...It'd be a long day but doable. In 1990? We hiked Parunuweap from just below Mineral out to Springdale in a long day. Granted we drove the road down quite a ways (within 1 mile of Parunuweap) and began the hike. If you are planning to hike Mineral from Route 9, then you'll be adding probably about 5 miles more than we did at the start. Obviously hiking all the way to Springdale added probably about 5 to 6 miles more than the exit to Checkerboard, so probably pretty even total miles to what you are looking to do? We bagan the hike at 4AM and didn't get to Springdalale until 9:30PM, but we had several boys in the 12-14 age range.

Bo, I was re-reading both your - and Joe Braun's - betas on hiking Mineral Gulch. Seems like the large dry fall at the head would require a significant rap. The other option you mention would be hiking along the rim for about two miles and even then you have a steep downclimb to contend with.

That would be one LONG and exhausting hike. I'm guessing 17-18 miles.