Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subway conditions

Subway conditions

[COLOR=#444444][FONT=Calibri]A note about conditions in the Subway I thought was worth passing on

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Anyone have a picture of the gap?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

I've searched a bunch of recent photos (taken this season) on google images and flickr and can't find any of that specific spot.

Having been down the subway a dozen or so times, we never considered that spot as an "obstacle". I'm going again the first week of September with a group that has a few newbies some maybe not as agile, might have to rethink taking some harnesses and some different gear.

Anyone have some shots of the gap?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyo View Post
    I've searched a bunch of recent photos (taken this season) on google images and flickr and can't find any of that specific spot.

Having been down the subway a dozen or so times, we never considered that spot as an "obstacle". I'm going again the first week of September with a group that has a few newbies some maybe not as agile, might have to rethink taking some harnesses and some different gear.

Anyone have some shots of the gap?
    Some discussion here: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...in-the-subway/

Here's a photo with the logs in place, but the scale is really hard to tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. Likes Rudyo liked this post
    Great picture of the gap at about the 3:05 mark of the video.

Yes that is a great shot - bigger jump than you think if no logs to help out. It would def scare some people into looking for a different way down. Actually the whole vid is an excellent - some great long shots so you really see not just individuals but the beauty of the canyon. Love Subway- all 3 ways are neat. Shane, what time of year was this? Water looks a little higher than when I have done in Sept.

The video was Labor Day Weekend 2012.

Here is a good picture of the gap. it was taken in 2008. At the time there was a big log that you could downclimb if you were so inclined.

Another interesting item from the picture is the logs across the top in 2008 are not the same logs in the 2012 video, which are not the same logs that are present today. So from the pictures and video it appears the logs across the top are washed out and replaced with some regularity.

Name:  114-1436_IMG.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  165.6 KB

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Here is one of the new log taken last month on 8/17 - I don't have a good picture of the gap with perspective though.

Name:  P1010898.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  63.0 KB

Not as close to southern Utah as I'd like to be
    Thanks for that latest picture. I'm leading a group down Subway next week. Any word on whether newbies are making it across the gap OK in the current conditions?

As we all know, the subway is extremely condition dependent... Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate W View Post
    Thanks for that latest picture. I'm leading a group down Subway next week. Any word on whether newbies are making it across the gap OK in the current conditions?
    Some brave and nimble folks *could jump the gap - my wife said she would have had no problem jumping it. I however would not jump it unless there was no other option. We knew the conditions and rappelled down the near side of the canyon.

That log is very flimsy and was perched in a way that has likely already been washed out by the recent rain. If it is still there, one could probably cross it without much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate W View Post
    There is a two-bolt anchor on the near side, for rappelling. It would be a very difficult anchor to use for handlining down, as there is no place on the 'near side' that does not have vertical walls below it.

Tom

Not as close to southern Utah as I'd like to be
    Thanks for the information. We'll bring rappelling gear to keep our options open.

Just finished subway this weekend and our group jumped the gap and had good success the gap looks bigger in the pictures and is very do able by most athletic adults. FWIW.

Anybody happen to find a pair of gloves in the subway, shortly before you get to the last drop?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Anybody happen to find a pair of gloves in the subway, shortly before you get to the last drop?
    Didn't see any Saturday when we went through sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    Just finished subway this weekend and our group jumped the gap and had good success the gap looks bigger in the pictures and is very do able by most athletic adults. FWIW.
    Just curious, was the log gone from the gap?

Quote Originally Posted by jaredbelch1 View Post
    Just curious, was the log gone from the gap?
    Yeah

Name:  Subway gap.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  43.8 KBName:  Subway Log.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  34.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    Yeah

Name:  Subway gap.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  43.8 KB
    I have come to the conclusion that there is no reason for people to wear a helmet, for instance when jumping a gap with a 15 foot fall below, if there is nothing going on upstairs. But putting it on your head would prevent it from flopping around so unstylishly on your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that there is no reason for people to wear a helmet, for instance when jumping a gap with a 15 foot fall below, if there is nothing going on upstairs. But putting it on your head would prevent it from flopping around so unstylishly on your pack.

Ha Ha I agree some kids will never learn. The ones in the picture wore them most of the time but obliviously not in this moment. (I'm Not in the photo)