Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kolob Canyon

Great TR and video, thanks for sharing Bob! Perfect timing too, doing Kolob this weekend (weather and flow permitting of course). I took the MIA exit out of Boundary Canyon about a month ago, so uh, yeh, still kinda sucks I guess Hand lines still up at the top?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Your welcome, we must have made the bees angry just before u came, and just to bring down the hype on the MIA, it's really not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ljrocklv View Post
    Great TR and video, thanks for sharing Bob! Perfect timing too, doing Kolob this weekend (weather and flow permitting of course). I took the MIA exit out of Boundary Canyon about a month ago, so uh, yeh, still kinda sucks I guess Hand lines still up at the top?
    Lisa, thanks for the kind words! I'm stoked for you.

Please don't make the same mistake we made; underestimating the distance beween the last big rappel and the MIA exit. It is a loooong way to fight a 7mm suit. Figure out a way to stay warm, and not fight your wetsuit the entire way.

Steph has a sore hip from Checkerboard, so we were moving slow. We had been wearing our 7mm suits for 9 hours by the time we arrived at the MIA, and were very tired and somewhat dehydrated, mostly from fighting the resitance of the wetsuits.

If I had it to do over today, no question, I'd get a separate wetsuit top/bottom and take the top off after the last big rap. I might even consider wearing 3mm on the legs, but I run warm.

Quote Originally Posted by cdraper View Post
    Your welcome, we must have made the bees angry just before u came, and just to bring down the hype on the MIA, it's really not that bad.
    HA! I'm pretty sure it was Tyler stepping on the door of the nest that pissed them off.

5 guys in your group, based on the footprints? With a 6 AM start?

If the MIA is "not that bad", I'd hate to see what else you do in your free time.

And welcome to Bogley!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes ljrocklv liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Lisa, thanks for the kind words! I'm stoked for you.

Please don't make the same mistake we made; underestimating the distance beween the last big rappel and the MIA exit. It is a loooong way to fight a 7mm suit. Figure out a way to stay warm, and not fight your wetsuit the entire way.

Steph has a sore hip from Checkerboard, so we were moving slow. We had been wearing our 7mm suits for 9 hours by the time we arrived at the MIA, and were very tired and somewhat dehydrated, mostly from fighting the resitance of the wetsuits.

If I had it to do over today, no question, I'd get a separate wetsuit top/bottom and take the top off after the last big rap. I might even consider wearing 3mm on the legs, but I run warm.

And welcome to Bogley!
    Always a quandary. Usually at least "top down" for the Kolob walk-out, but sometimes better to just take it off, and not worry too much about the couple of splashers between the last big rap and Boundary. From Boundary (big flat rock) to the MIA exit, there are usually two places deeper than the belly button, so usually just go without there, but a good idea to drybag the pack 'cause that second one is sometimes a swimmer.

Although - if I was a-gonna step on a beez nest, I would want as much neoprene in place as possible...

Tom

7. Likes Slot Machine, ljrocklv liked this post
    When we did Kolob we just took the wetsuits off a little ways after the last rap. There were a couple swims after that, but we just gritted our teeth and went with them. I definitely didn't regret it. I hate hiking in a wetsuit.
    --Cliff

I ditched the drysuit after the last rap. I remember one more small rap into a swimmer, and the rest were just waders. But my last time through there had zero flow.

Although I have no body fat whatsoever, I seem to tolerate the cold well. The trick is to go into the water either naked or with just quick drying shorts on...that way the air dries you out quickly and you warm up as you get moving again. All those I've gone through pools with that wear a shirt of some type, and keep it on, get chilled.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Drysuits are so much nicer to hike in :-)

After the last big rap I just tie the upper part of the drysuit around my waist and stroll down canyon.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

We did Kolob yesterday. For anyone who is interested, the yellow jacket nest is about 1/3 mile below the waterfall. It's in a box elder log about 8" around and devoid of bark. There is a low spot in the middle of the log that is tempting to step over. Don't. Exit the watercourse to the left and just walk around it.

We had a full 3cfs and it was a blast. The water is a little murky though. A few of the anchors could use some love. Rap 2 especially.

Wow, really wish I had paid closer attention to the location of the yellow jackets (bees?) nest...4 of us were stung repeatedly by those vicious f###ers and it hurts!!! I'd rather go up and down the MIA trail 3 times than experience that again. Flow was probably about 2cfs, enough to make it fun and exciting and a great day in a beautiful canyon!

Wow, those bees are becoming infamous! Maybe someone should take a can of wasp spray?

Quote Originally Posted by ljrocklv View Post
    Wow, really wish I had paid closer attention to the location of the yellow jackets (bees?) nest...4 of us were stung repeatedly by those vicious f###ers and it hurts!!!
    That sucks!! We thought they were bees, could be wrong.

Video of the rope bag rescue posted at the beginning of the thread.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    Wow, those bees are becoming infamous! Maybe someone should take a can of wasp spray?
    yeah, maybe a can of spray paint while you're at it, to mark the log

Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    ... Maybe someone should take a can of wasp spray?
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    ...maybe a can of spray paint ...
    Really?? Insecticide and spray paint in the watercourse? Or in any backcountry environment?

Kidding, X2, I hope.

17. Likes ljrocklv liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    That sucks!! We thought they were bees, could be wrong.

Video of the rope bag rescue posted at the beginning of the thread.
    Video is listed as private

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Video is listed as private
    Fixed.

lol run forest run!!!!! at least im not alone in my bee horror story.
    I could fall off that and live.

21. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Ok so the getting the rope bag from the bees was way to close to this...

Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

23. Likes ilipichicuma, pikan, Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holden View Post
    Ok so the getting the rope bag from the bees was way to close to this...
    HA! Something like that.

My crappy video doesn't convey how scary those little bastards were. I'll just say... Tyler doesn't run like that very often.

25. Likes pikan liked this post
    I could fall off that and live.

27. Likes ratagonia, Slot Machine liked this post