Thread: Best rope for a Newbie

Rap Artist Wanna-be

Best rope for a Newbie

I'm looking for recommendations on the best all around static rope for a new canyoneer to purchase. I used a climbing rope in the past but it is showing lots of wear and tear.

Favorite spots are Moab, Zion, Escalante, and Lake Powell. Also I only get out there about twice a year, so the rope won't get constant use as we don't have any slot canyons on the east coast.

Details like rope thickness, length, price, etc. would be helpful.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Get 200 feet of Canyon Fire. It's light, tough, inexpensive, has pretty good knotability, and looks cool to boot.

It's a little skinnier than some ropes. Don't let that psych you out. Get an ATC, use two biners where there is normally one, and get familiar with the friction that way.

FWIW, I use two biners when rapping single, and one when rapping double with the Canyon Fire. I weigh about 170 lbs.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Just like slot said the canyon fire rope is a darn good rope expecially for the price. It's my go to rope. However the canyonero might be a little more forgiving to rookie mistakes. It's a little thicker and takes a little more abuse. But is also more expensive and heavier. Sterling makes a good rope too. I got a lot of use out of my last sterling rope. Check out http://www.adventurepluslc.com/canyon/rope/rope.html to see the ropes side by side. Like slot said if your only gonna have 1 rope 200 feet is the way to go in my book too. If you have any questions about those ropes call that store and ask for TJ. He will take care of you.

I agree the canyonfire is the best one out there, as far as length goes, you just gotta look at the canyons you want to do and see how long a rope you need. I'd start with 2x120' because you can do the same canyons as with a single 200' and it'll be easier to manage the rope on the shorter drops, then if you've got the money get a 200' for canyons with long drops.

6. Likes Byron liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Thanks guys.

I have a discussion about choosing a diameter (and other details) here:

http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropes2.php

Actual prices are here:

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...=0&sort=normal

Tom

I'm a fan of the canyon-fire, too, and it's also a lot stiffer than some canyoneering ropes, which I think gives you a bit more friction, too. My current long rope is the Sterling C-IV, and it's awesome. It is a bit more dynamic than the Imlay Canyon ropes usually are, but it's holding up great to canyons and I always get a nice, smooth descent on it. Being a fat guy, I also like that it's a little bigger than the Canyon Fire, and it is lighter than an Imlay Canyon rope, too, which is nice on the long approaches and exits.
    --Cliff

I have all the ropes that have been mentioned so far. For a new canyoneer, the Sterling C-IV is my favorite. It is 9 mm, a great thickness to start on, and doesn't really have the stiffness that needs to be broken in as much as the others. The Canyonero is a great rope but takes longer to break in. The Canyon Fire is too skinny. Buy that later once you're more comfortable.

I have several Canyonero's, one Canyon Fire...and they are nice ropes. I like that they are really static, the colors are nice and the price is right! They are relatively stiff, probably due to the tight weave, feels more like cable than rope, not that that's a bad thing. Only thing is its harder to bag cause of the stiffness. The Sterling C-IV is a Technora Sheath rope which should last considerably longer, is soft and supple for easy knotting and bagging and only weighs a mere 6.4 lbs. for 200ft vs. 8.4 lbs for the Canyonero. The only drawback is the bland color and the fact that it is normally priced considerably more than the Imlay Ropes which is to be expected cause of the sheath material. But right now Backcountry.com has the Sterling C-IV on sale for $175 with free shipping so its only $5 bucks more than a Canyon Fire and $10 less than the Canyonero. Not sure how long that deal will last....

Rap Artist Wanna-be
    Thanks to everyone that replied. It sounds like the Sterling Rope is a good value and also good for a beginner. In the future the smaller Canyon Fire might allow for faster rappels once I'm comfortable doing so.

The C-iv is 9mm but it raps like an 8mm....

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mferl View Post
    Thanks to everyone that replied. It sounds like the Sterling Rope is a good value and also good for a beginner. In the future the smaller Canyon Fire might allow for faster rappels once I'm comfortable doing so.
    The speed of the rappel should not be determined by the rope. It should be determined by YOU.

We speak of ropes as being "fast" or "slow"; but the real meaning of that label is in how much friction you have to put on it to rappel at a reasonable speed. A "fast" rope needs a higher friction setting; a "slow" rope does not need as much friction.

While this hopefully seems like an obvious distinction, I have found several persons who do not understand this. Someone who does not understand this is a danger to themselves and others. RUN AWAY!!!

Perhaps you might review these two articles:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/techt...-petzl-pirana/

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/techt...tc-rappelling/

Tom

14. Likes Byron, Kuya, Slot Machine liked this post
    Rap Artist Wanna-be
    Thanks Tom and forgive my ignorance, but I want to learn from those willing to share. My experience has been that larger ropes create more friction. I was using an 11mm climbing rope and an ATC starting out and that made for some really slow descents. That's why I asked about getting a static rope more suitable for a beginner. I do see in the articles you suggested how you can create more friction and that makes sense to me.

16. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I have one of Tom’s first ropes that he graciously delivered in 2004 when he lived in SLC, and it has held up really good. For long canyon days carrying that light 8mm is preferred it can’t be beat.

Before Tom designed ropes, I used PMI Caving ropes, and I still employ them to this day. Most of the canyons I do these days are shorter, stemming slots, with lots of little rappels. I have by far used my 9mm PMI’s more, and they are tough and durable, and if purchased in a big spool, it historically was very economical.

Mountain Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonater View Post
    But right now Backcountry.com has the Sterling C-IV on sale for $175
    Wholehearted endorsement of the C-IV as well. Just a great rope. Long lasting, tough sheath, supple hand, light, sheds water, easy to stuff. The single best canyoneering rope on the market IMO.

I'm not seeing if for sale anymore at this price on 8/24.

Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    Wholehearted endorsement of the C-IV as well. Just a great rope. Long lasting, tough sheath, supple hand, light, sheds water, easy to stuff. The single best canyoneering rope on the market IMO.

I'm not seeing if for sale anymore at this price on 8/24.
    Yeah, its outta stock....got snatched up real fast at that price! Awesome rope! I put mine on the scale and its 6lb 9 oz for 200ft.....Technora sheath, ultralight, great hand....what's not to love....other than the ugly color!

Rap Artist Wanna-be
    Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I was able to snag one at the sale price before they sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by mferl View Post
    Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I was able to snag one at the sale price before they sold out.

$.88/foot is a great deal! You should be happy with the C-IV, I just got 2/120's a few months ago and love it. Only I paid $1.09/ft...