Thread: Looking for Mystery Companion 19-21 Aug

Looking for Mystery Companion 19-21 Aug

Hi all,
    I'm new to Canyoneering and looking for company on Mystery Canyon between 19th and 21st August. Have just done Subway and have now got the bug, we just don't have this sort of terrain in the UK. I will be applying for a permit through the last minute lottery and am very flexible regarding timings etc.
    Thanks,
    Matt

PS Thanks to Tom for a great book and CanyoneeringUSA, and to 'B' at ZAC for a great course.

2. Likes ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Brit Beermonster View Post
    I will be applying for a permit through the last minute lottery and am very flexible regarding timings etc.
    Hope you are flexible with canyons too. Good luck!

Also, BUMP your thread if/when you get a permit. THEN you will get a flood of messages.

And welcome to Bogley!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

If you don't get any permits for August, I have Mystery permits for October 21st which I may not use. I can cancel and you can snatch them up promptly. I have gotten permits for Mystery 3 times this year and went down it once. I'm not really interested in doing it again but my Dad and brother want to do it so I got the permit. But there's a very good chance we will do Behunin that day instead. It's a good canyon if you can get a permit but don't sweat it if you don't. There are many nicer ones out there where getting permits shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again, I'll post Sunday evening hopefully with a permit, Matt.

No joy on Mystery permit for tues so will try weds instead, :(

No joy on Mystery permit for tues so will try weds instead, :(
    you found other canyons to do yeah? Try Echo, pine creek, birch hollow, spry, etc... you wont be disappointed :)
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    you found other canyons to do yeah? Try Echo, pine creek, birch hollow, spry, etc... you wont be disappointed :)
    Exactly.....Mystery is an OK canyon...if you can get permits its worth a run once or twice, but there are many nicer ones out there with easier access....

Thanks again, I have Keyhole permit for tomorrow Tues Aug 20th and Mystery permit for Weds Aug 21st. There are a couple of spaces on both as my group decided to stay in Vegas! (wtf!)

I'm very flexible on times for Keyhole but would like to be on first shuttle out of Zion for Mystery if at all possible (6am me thinks).

Anyone fancy a day out? I've done a canyoneering course with ZAC and did Subway a few weeks ago but I'm pretty much a beginner. PM me and I'll get back to you,

Matt

Thanks again, I have Keyhole permit for tomorrow Tues Aug 20th and Mystery permit for Weds Aug 21st. There are a couple of spaces on both as my group decided to stay in Vegas! (wtf!)

I'm very flexible on times for Keyhole but would like to be on first shuttle out of Zion for Mystery if at all possible (6am me thinks).

Anyone fancy a day out? I've done a canyoneering course with ZAC and did Subway a few weeks ago but I'm pretty much a beginner. PM me and I'll get back to you,

Matt
    WTF! is right! lol.........Glad you were successful.....as long as you hit the trail by 8am you'll be fine for Mystery. Save time by downclimbing all the drops before the mandatory drop into the narrow section. The upper section is unnecessarily bolted and groups waste time setting up raps on these when they see the bolts....The downclimbs look much harder than they really are from above. (obviously use your own judgement).

Did keyhole but left camera in Vegas, I know 'No pics, didn't happen', but there was a Bigfoot down there!
    Anywho, still got 2 places on permit for Mystery 2morow 21st. Will have limited pics from old phone whose memory is full from family hols in Orlando so will post sometime. ('Dragon Ops', the wife, would kill me for deleting them!)
    Leaving on 6am shuttle - be there or be . . . still in bed.