Thread: Top of Kolob Arch

Top of Kolob Arch

Sometime this fall, I want to do a bit of exploring on top of the mesa containing Kolob Arch. I probably descend a canyon too. Unfortunately, we may have to carry water up there since it's hard to do much exploring on a day trip, which means cooler weather is best.

If anyone is interested in putting together a trip like this, let me know.

Edit:
    I just looked closely at Google Earth though. Guess I should have done that a long time ago. Kind of embarrassing. It looks like although we were on the same level as Kolob Arch, the bench pinches out in a short section ( if I remember right, the topo map indicated a possible narrow bench). Bummer; the route has been on the backburner for many years.

Maybe I'll go anyway though and see if there's anything interesting in the canyon (the one west and parallel to Icebox).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Sometime this fall, I want to do a bit of exploring on top of Kolob Arch and the mesa. I probably descend a canyon too. Unfortunately, we may have to carry water up there since it's hard to do much exploring on a day trip, which means cooler weather is best.

If anyone is interested in putting together a trip like this, let me know.
    I'm not sure how you are planning on getting to the top, but it sounds cool. Mixing in some canyoneering would make it even cooler. Is an Icebox + Kolob Arch combo day possible?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Is an Icebox + Kolob Arch combo day possible?
    Not without some serious rock skills. Anyway, I edited my post above since after looking closely at Google Earth it appears that part of the bench pinches out. Here is a map of the route we took in the 1980's:

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

There is a 5.7ish route on the right side of the arch. Generally a bit moist and sketchy.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    There is a 5.7ish route on the right side of the arch. Generally a bit moist and sketchy.
    got a topo for that?

T

Use to have a topo, but I loaned my "guidebook" for Kolob to someone and never got it back! I've never done the route, but was asked to do it several years ago to help some society or org. that was measuring arches for data. I understand that it can be a slippery, runout chimney though. If you are thinking of tackling it lemme know. I might be interested! Maybe I'll just put it on my list and make a date for it. I know several folks that'd probably wanna take a look!