Thread: What River to Do Next?

What River to Do Next?

Looking for recommendations on what river to take on now that my rowing skills have made me comfortable on rivers like Professor Valley daily but are certainly not ready for big water. Is the San Juan a good next step? How about the Yampa or different sections of the Salmon? Or of course, anything else! Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've posted my videos from the rivers you posted, except San Juan, that's flat water really. You are welcome to see for yourself if you are ready for it or not.

I don't know what Professor Valley is, what class is it?

Yampa is a class 2/3 river with one decent class 4 (easy scout). It's at least 5 day trip and very hard to get permits.
    Middle Fork and Main Salmon are class 3/4 rivers, takes 5 days (at a minimum) to do and insane to get permits.

What is your vehicle of transportation? Raft? Kayak? IK? SUP?

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/kazak4x4

Or just youtube the rivers you want to do.

Alex,

Thanks for the response, it is very helpful as I have very little knowledge at this point! I've started watching your videos--not only are they beautiful, watching how you row trhough the rapids is extremely helpful.

Professor Valley is what a river running friend from Colorado calls the Moab Daily. I assumed that's what everyone called it!

I have a 14-foot Hyside raft. She is a well-worn lady, but works wonderfully.

Thanks again for your time and knowlege!

OK!

With a 14 footer you can go anywhere really. Right now everything is flowing very low, so you are very limited on choices. If you are looking for a short run (daily) you pretty much have the following:

1. Green river below the dam, called Section A & B. A section is 7 miles of class 2, takes a few hours to run. Very pretty, very busy and pita at the put in. No permit required. Section B is usually an overnighter. Great camping, good fishing and much less people. Camps are $7 per night if I remember correctly. If you are interested in this section, I have much more info.

2. Snake river in Wyoming. Very popular class 3 run. It's mostly class 2 with 1 decent class 3 rapid. Easy access, no permits required, along the road. Plenty of smaller action, but no wilderness feeling. Similar to Moab daily, but clearer water. From Salt lake it's about 3.5 hour drive.

3. Green River daily and Moab daily. You've done one, GR daily is pretty low now, but closer than Moab daily. It's mostly class 1-2 run. People float it in tubes.

4. If you want something local to try with your 14 footer, you can do Provo river below the dam. It's mostly class 1-2 stuff. A ton of people tube it. It has one class 2 wave and a bridge which is a good obstacle. It's only an hour from SLC, logistics are easy, helps to have your own shuttle, but you can catch a ride with the local rafting company if you have one car. Check out http://www.highcountryrafting.com/ for shuttle info. Give them a call.

5. Weber river. Close river to SLC, but would be hard in a 14 footer, IK works better there. Check out my video on the river.

6. Murtaugh canyon on Snake in Idaho, hardly ever flows anymore, a great class 4 section. I almost kicked the bucket on that one!

7. Forgot to mention Westwater! Duh! You've done the Daily, Westwater is a step up. A very solid class 3 at low water, class 4 at higher flow. Can be done as a daily or an overnighter. Fairly hard to get a permit. If you post your avatar pic on mtnbuzz, you will get an invite to whichever trip you want :) I've taken plenty of newbies to Westwater at moderate flows (2,500-5,000 cfs). Do not go to WW at 9,000+ cfs, it will scare the crap out of you for the first time. Problem aren't the rapids, but long swims. Flush drowing kills, be smart. WW is literally 4 hour drive from SLC.

If you are looking to push yourself and really get into whitewater rafting, you are looking at a minimum 4 days on the river. These are the following sections around us:

1. Desolation Canyon on the Green. Class 2-3, doable all year. Easy to get permits. Minimum of 5 day trip, at low water count on 6-7, unless you have access to someone with a motor. A wonderful river for newbies.

2. Yampa is Class 2-4, minimum of 5 days, requires a very hard to get permit. Depending on the run off, free flowing river, not runnable below 800 cfs, it's at 150 cfs now :(

3. Lodore is class 2-4, 4 days trip, requires a very hard to get permit. Dam fed, so you have at least a minimum flow of 800 cfs, in your 14 footer you will be fine. Very beautiful canyon for sure. Great camping.

4. Cataract canyon. Serious class 3-4 river. Easy to get permit, really requires a motor, don't go without one. Not too newbie friendly, unless following an experienced boater. Minimum of 4 days trip. Crappy take out.

5. Main Salmon and Middle Fork of salmon are great rivers. Class 3-4. Main is easier than MFS. Both are good 6-8 day trips. Much farther from SLC than other options. Both are must do for anyone. Main is good for a newbie, following an experienced rafter.

6. There are other rivers, but are much farther from SLC.

I have videos for every river I've listed on my channel, except MFS. If you are interested in any of these rivers, I have all the info you need, just PM me. Always happy to get people on the river :)

Alex