Thread: Subway questions (trivia)

Subway questions (trivia)

Took a small group through the Subway Tuesday. 2 questions came up and I think this is the place to find the answers. First question: who was the 1st person to find the canyon and traverse it? Second: has anyone done it bottom to top? I don't know the answers, but I'm sure someone here does (or can at least make up something believable).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I did Subway bottom to top about 15 years ago.... I know I was not the first to do it.

You would probably have to ask the Native Americans several thousand years ago who was the first to descend the canyon.

The Subway first became "popular" when it was featured in National Geographic in the late 60's if I remember correctly.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Took a small group through the Subway Tuesday. 2 questions came up and I think this is the place to find the answers. First question: who was the 1st person to find the canyon and traverse it? Second: has anyone done it bottom to top? I don't know the answers, but I'm sure someone here does (or can at least make up something believable).
    Bo might be able to give a better history, but...

Seems like the Subway was first done recreationally in the 50's. Names lost to antiquity.

Many people have gone UP the Subway. There is also a Yo-Yo trip possible. Here is a trip report from one such trip (third adventure on this page):

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...ark-adventure/

Tom

I have gone up it too, at least to just beyond Russell Gulch. The first time we went all the way up was at least as early as Labor Day weekend 1987. It was actually easier to go up back then because there was a big log at Labyrinth Falls. It's still not that hard to climb, but more risky. Keyhole Falls varies between difficult or easy to pass depending on if there is a log to toss your rope over. As of mid June this year, there was a log once again in place that you could do this.

Seems like the Subway was first done recreationally in the 50's. Names lost to antiquity.
    There is a good cattle trail that comes in to North Creek just above Little Creek and not far below the Dinosaur tracks. It the late 1980's, and even as late as 1992, this was actually much better and more well defined than the standard route. I imagine it probably dates to the early 1900's and was used by the ranch in Lees Valley just to the north (which I noticed was for sale as of June). I looked for it on our last trip mid June and noticed that the park service has it really blocked off with logs and branches (years ago some people would get lost because it could be mistaken for the main route. Too bad as the NPS blocked it all off because it used to make a really nice loop and eliminates the need for a car shuttle.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    ... there was a big log at Labyrinth Falls.
    ??? Maybe we do not call these things the same thing.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I have heard the logs across the stream before the last rappel/downclimb/ankle-breaking-jump. True? Did you use the two-bolt anchor on the left side of the watercourse?

Tom

??? Maybe we do not call these things the same thing.
    What do you call the last falls that is typically the last rappel? I believe it has been called Labyrinth Falls for many years. What did the green and black books call it? I thought it was Labyrinth, but will have to check.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Yes, the logs above the waterfall were washed away. We used your 2 new anchors on the north side - thank you very much. We thought a very brief moment about jumping across, but then thought about missing, slipping, etc and the hard landing at the bottom. I was planning on doing the new rappel anyway.

While we were setting up the rappel though, another group with kids came through. They jumped the slot (with the kids holding onto their rope). Then handlined the south slope. Problem was that their rope was 10' too short (doubled). So, 1 guy held the end with one hand and assisted everyone down with his other. I just looked away and waited for the scream of pain from someone. Amazingly, they all made it down with no injuries (at least not visible).

Name:  IMG_1301.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  161.3 KB

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    What do you call the last falls that is typically the last rappel? I believe it has been called Labyrinth Falls for many years. What did the green and black books call it? I thought it was Labyrinth, but will have to check.
    Perhaps you are thinking of Labyrinth Falls in the East Fork Virgin River, at the start of Parunaweap Canyon, the base of Labyrinth Falls being the limit of legal navigation down the East Fork.

The Green Book does not provide a name for the feature we are discussing.

Tom

The Green Book does not provide a name for the feature we are discussing.
    You are right. It only provides a name "Keyhole Falls". I am not sure where I heard the name Labyrinth Falls, though I'm sure I've heard it applied to the Subway at one time or another. I definitely wasn't thinking of the one in Parunaweap, because I haven't been to that falls yet. We visited the Subway many times 1980's to 1992, then I didn't go again until 2007 and 2013, so it would be a different generation now vs then. Perhaps it's best to say that the falls has no official name.