Thread: September Itinerary: Whatcha Think?

September Itinerary: Whatcha Think?

A buddy and I are planning a 16 day Southern Utah September canyon thrashfest! Were looking to hit a number of the big areas (Escalante, Swell, Roost) VERY VERY hard. I consulted Kelsey's Top 40 and polled you the forum posters. Combined with a little logistics maneuvering I came up with the following tentative schedule.

I know there is going to be TONS of driving and undoubtedly many short nights. It looks difficult even on paper so I'm not sure how feasible this all is. We're dialed, motivated, and have some serious canyon fever. I'm hoping that will work in our favor.

Question 1: is Heaps even realistic in 1 big day in the short daylight hours of September? We might have to shuffle that one around to make things more feasible.

Question 2: What do you all think? Am I hitting the right places? Anybody have recommended changes?

Question 3: Someone with a boat want to take us to Lake Powell Cyns instead? pretty please!

Travel times listed above the date.

Name:  untitled1.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  51.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Why four-five days in Buckskin?

4. Likes Erik B liked this post
    Chambers is a very physical canyon. Doesn't look like it on paper, but it beats the crap out of most folks. Doing Alcatraz the same day would be very tough.

I'd trade your Bluejohn and Chambers days. Bluejohn is relatively easy. Consider the main fork, it's very pretty. That way you are 'rested' for Kolob.

I have not done Heaps, but have done Checkerboard. I suspect they require a similar number of calories. Unless you are superhuman, I'd bet you'll want a rest day after Heaps. I'd budget at least two days for Heaps no matter how you do it.

I haven't heard good things about Eardly. The North Fork of Iron Wash is really cool, and would make a good combo with Zero G, if you move fast.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...72-Iron-Maiden

Heckuva schedule. Looks fun.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Why four-five days in Buckskin?
    It says Buckskin/Paria. I assume he's going out Lees Ferry, in which case 4-5 days is actually ideal.

Question 2: What do you all think? Am I hitting the right places? Anybody have recommended changes?
    It is too hardcore for most. Each single day might be doable, but for most of us not back to back to back.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Correct. Buckskin to Lees Ferry.

Last year we nailed 8 canyons in 7 days in Escalante/Zion. Could have done more if it wasnt for the permit system in Zion. :)

The driving might break us on this one... We might have shuffle things around a bit if mercy is cried.

Your Sat-Tue schedule is going to suck. Lots of long canyons with lots of hiking in the dark I would predict. I'd toss in neon or ringtail in between choprock and Baker for more of a rest day.
    - Gavin

Heaps is doable in a day if you start hiking around 4 am. It also depends on how fast/efficiently your group moves through a canyon. I've only done it once and the water was high, but we started at the WR around 6:30 and got to the last drop around 5. I don't think we were moving all that fast in canyon either.

I'd plan an extra day in there before Heaps though so you can stash the 300' the night before and get to bed early. When I did it we got in late and after stashing the rope got to bed around 1am, got up at 4am were slow getting started and were late getting to the TH. Then two of our group were slow on rappel at the last sequence and we didn't get down till 9pm. After cleaning up the car shuttle we didn't get to bed till 2am and we were trashed the next day.

Blog Entries
    It's a ambitious week for sure - I'm jealous, sounds fun! You can do all of those but I'll echo what everyone has said - you want some breathing room.

The 1st thing on your mind should be safety (always). If you are too tired for a canyon when you wake up or u just need a break - go for it. Don't push it. You don't want to be like the guy who died in Heaps who hooked up his rope/descender incorrectly and fell 290ft to his death in the dark. You do not want to make those mistakes, all in the name of as many canyons as possible.

I say stick to your plan, but tweak it a bit for more R&R however.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'd do down Buckskin and out White House. Buckskin is the meat of the sandwich. It would give you time for other canyons.

I like Eardley, some folks don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    Your Sat-Tue schedule is going to suck. Lots of long canyons with lots of hiking in the dark I would predict. I'd toss in neon or ringtail in between choprock and Baker for more of a rest day.
    we did both neon and ringtail a day last year... Big day!

We were going to hit choprock the next day but it looked like rain so we exercised better judgement.

Baker vs. Little baker slots.... hmm... little baker slots require more driving, however, Baker requires a lot of hiking and another big day...

Eardley is a good canyon, but its a lot of work for the little reward you get. If you're trying to pack in as much bang for your buck then I would suggest a different canyon.

14. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Couple of other thoughts.... Cable is really fun if it has water, only so-so without. A back up canyon might be a good idea.

When you list Bluejohn I assume you are planing a down east fork and up main fork as that is by far the biggest bang for your buck for experienced canyoneers.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Buckskin out Lee's Ferry is a classic. It is easily doable in 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by ebernhoft View Post
    The driving might break us on this one... We might have shuffle things around a bit if mercy is cried.
    ^ A wise thought ^

It's enough work to battle canyon after canyon. We find it exhausting to battle our sleeping situation and commuting every night as well. Tearing down / setting up camp every night is a pain in the ass when you have a lot of gear to deal with. Tis' more fun to chill around a campfire; or have dinner at Oscar's.

I'd recommend spening the trip in 1 or 2 areas that interest you the most. In September, that means Hanksville or Escalante (to us).

A Choprock, Egypt, Ringtail, Baker, HH/Raven, Micro Death, Neon, Sad Cow, Davis combo sounds WAY more fun than driving hundreds of miles across Utah, frantically trying to complete the bucket list. YMMV.

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

18. Likes Absolute Gravity, deagol, Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'd do down Buckskin and out White House. Buckskin is the meat of the sandwich. It would give you time for other canyons.
    I would have to agree. Buckskin is the "classic" part of the Paria trip. We did it in one day and judging by the rest of the schedule, you could too. The car shuttle is also a heck of a lot shorter than from Wire Pass to Lee's Ferry.

20. Likes summitseeker, Slot Machine liked this post
    Wow! Hope you guys are in great shape. I'll be super curious as to what you actually get done. Not a single rest day?

That Heaps, HH, Raven, Choprock, Baker sequence looks brutal especially with all the driving and camp set up/tear down, but man would it be an epic 4 days. Just imagine if you get a dry Heaps and HH, and then a full Choprock. You'll be begging for mercy .

Good luck. Looks amazing.

22. Likes Erik B liked this post
    Question 1: is Heaps even realistic in 1 big day in the short daylight hours of September? We might have to shuffle that one around to make things more feasible.
    Very realistic. 80's clothes might help.
    If you were to shorten up Buckskin as suggested that could allow some rest between Heaps and Choprock, and allow those who have to work on Mondays to join you in Choprock. Just. Sayin.

Roost weekend looks great BTW. And though hiking in deep sand is not my idea of fun, the Ralston route out Horsehoe is pretty cool, and a car shuttle makes it much more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by burley View Post
    The Ralston route out Horsehoe is pretty cool, and a car shuttle makes it much more practical.
    After doing so many different variations of Bluejohn, I think the best way to visit Lower Bluejohn is to go to the big drop, then backtrack out the way you came. Sooooooo much better!!!

25. Likes summitseeker liked this post
    Our group went down into the Escalante this year and did eight days along that section of the river and did six canyons. We did Chop, Neon, Ringtail, West Baker, Middle Little Baker and E3. The hike between Ringtail and West Baker has poor trail. Be prepared for some time due to that. The trail on down from West Baker and Middle Little... don't ever do that! Go in the way the book says. I loved both Middle Little and West Baker, but I'd choose Middle Little again and again overall, it really impressed me. The confluence of West and East Bakers is spectacular though! If you're looking for a single big bang of a place, that's pretty damn good. From camp, it took us 10.5hrs to do Choprock and it's fantastic! Don't take that one off the list!

Overall, your list looks incredibly taxing. Hopefully you've been rocking out at this sort of thing recently. Those eight days left everyone in our group pretty beat and I'm always going and doing big trips. I think I'm in better shape now than then and could do most of what you're looking to do, but a rest day or two in there will almost assuredly be necessary.