Thread: Help/Suggestions needed for Southwest trip.

Help/Suggestions needed for Southwest trip.

Hi.
    We will be coming over from Ireland to Vegas and the first part of our trip is gonna be a roadtrip to see the beautiful nature thats around that area. This is our first trip to states. Road trip dates - 26august - 2september (8 days, but thats including leaving las vegas in the morning and then returning on 2nd to bring back the rental car daytime)

We have decided to visit these places (i think in this order):

1. toroweap - to see grand canyon without the crowds. camp overnight ( i know that we have to bring our own wood)
    2. The wave very early in the morning, then bucksin gulch slot canyon later.
    3. Drive to Bryce canyon via Cottonwood Road, maybe check Grosvenor Arch on the way
    4. Bryce Canyon (overlook and then there are some trails)
    5. Zion Canyon (angels landing, peekaboo slot canyon)
    6. Hoover Dam

I would love to hear your input - which places / hikes i should not miss in those places? What should we change, remove or include instead? Also general suggestions? Maybe willis creek instead of some other slot? i dont know. We would like to see most striking and as diverse places as possible.

Our car will be a Grand Voyager minivan, im aware that if it rains we can not reach certain places.
    We will be sleeping in the car and then maybe stay 1 - 2 nights in a hotel/motel/guesthouse when were tired and dirty. We dont have a certain time plan, we`ll just play by ear as they say, well try not to rush.

We dont want to do any rock climbing or bring any ropes or get wet. We are no sissies, but we wont have any "gear", just backpack with food and water etc.

I have some further questions:
    I suppose nights are cold in those areas right?
    What about mosquitoes? Do we need any anti-spray?
    How about sleeping under sky on ground - dangerous (creepy-crawlies, snakes etc)?

Also any suggestions for android smartphone - anything to find the remote places / make hikes easier? Ive downloaded alpinequest and have loaded waypoints for the wave but thats it. We`ll have satnav for car / roads.

Any essential stuff to pack? i can think of comfy shoes, water, food, sun cream, hat, phone with gps, printouts with directions.

Thanks for answers and if i remember anything else, i ll add it later.

SO EXCITED about the trip!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i have a google maps link of the whole planned route, but i cant post links yet. its tinyurl dotcom /oowxrgd

Visiting Zion and skipping "The Narrows" would be like getting married and skipping the honeymoon.

In Zion you really want to hike The Narrows as that is the centerpiece of the park. You will get wet, but only from about the waist down. Just take the shuttle to it's last stop, get out and start hiking up stream. The first mile is a paved trail than the route enters the river. Hike up as far as you wish and return the way you came.

Name:  narrows1.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  narrows2.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  73.5 KB

One other item, the western United States is a big place.... don't spend all your time driving.

5. Likes Harcix liked this post
    This is a simple thing to do but I often see it overlooked by folks not used to being in the great wide open, you may or may not already employ it so I'll toss it out just in case. Every so often on your hike stop and look around you particularly behind you. What will the trail look like when you are headed the other way? Get your bearings from several landmarks. This will help you should you lose the trail. Several people have run into some trouble at the wave lately, bring plenty of water.
    i know Angel's Landing is always touted as 'the hike' but for a view of the park I prefer Observation point. From there you will look down on to Angel's Landing. The Narrows are a sight to see as well, wear good walking shoes for that one, don't even attempt with flip flops.
    Make sure to take a drive in the east end of Zion early morning or late evening to view the bighorns. Same goes for the meadows around Bryce where you'll likely view pronghorns.
    i don't know that I would sleep on the ground without a tent but I would also likely freak the eff out if I woke up to a tarantula or another creepy crawlie.
    thats my 2 cents, mostly make sure to have fun!

7. Likes Harcix liked this post
    I have not traveled to Toroweap, but from accounts on this and other sites the road out to the rim can eat your tires. Other than not going at all perhaps driving slowly might be the way to avoid punctures. Search this site for additional insight. End of August will likely be hot daytime and warm nighttime. Slot canyons like the narrows or Buckskin will be good places to keep cool in the shade. While in Zion, consider a ride up the Kolob Terrace Rd to Wildcat trailhead and a hike out to the Northgate Peaks or continue up Kolob Terrace Rd to Lava Point. Cooler temps might oblige at these higher elevations. If you are headed back to Vegas from Bryce, consider the alpine drive along rt 14. Strawberry Point and Cedar Breaks would be pleasant side trips.

9. Likes Harcix liked this post
    Good point on the road in to Toroweap. I have gone a few times to the North rim of the Grand Canyon and it is by far my favorite side. The N side of the park is not crowded like the S side of the park. I would love to score a cabin at the lodge that sits near the rim but all my trips have been more last minute. I've had better luck staying at Jacob's Lake and driving in. The drive between there is gorgeous and paved with lots of opportunity to spot mule deer.

11. Likes Harcix liked this post
    North Rim would require more miles to get to than Toroweap; however, it's hardtop all the way to the North Rim. Time wise may not be much difference in getting to either location. Just before you arrive at the North Rim entrance station there is a National Forest road that should lead to free road side campsites. The campgrounds inside the Grand Canyon National Park (North Rim) may likely be filled. New paragraph. August is as good a month as any for afternoon thunderstorms. Heavy rainstorms can reek havoc on the dirt roads in the area. Some of these roads have a clay base that gets super slippery when saturated; some roads have sections that habitually wash out. A status report can be found here: http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/road-conditions.htm When you pick up your permit for the Wave, the ranger station folks might be able to give you road status as well for House Rock Valley and Cottonwood. New paragraph. If you're not locked in to a place in Vegas, I'd recommend something off strip. Less crowded and easier to get into and out of with your rental. I usually stay at Orleans. 40 dollars or less a night if not staying during the weekend. On your way to Utah in the morning pop into Bellagio for a free look see at the gardens there.

13. Likes Harcix liked this post
    Thanks for the answers, guys!
    I talked to my friend and he agreed to hike the narrows in zion.

as for getting lost, ill have my mobile with gps on - it will mark each step so we can return the way we came, just in case we get lost

just realized its gonna be labor day weekend. its gonna be very busy in those parks, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Harcix View Post
    just realized its gonna be labor day weekend. its gonna be very busy in those parks, right?
    I've never noticed much difference on holiday weekends. The national parks are packed every weekend in the summer. I think the limiting factor has more to do with the availability of hotels and camping. Once the sleeping situation us maxed out you have hit the limit. YMMV.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Harcix View Post
    Thanks for the answers, guys!
    I talked to my friend and he agreed to hike the narrows in zion.

as for getting lost, ill have my mobile with gps on - it will mark each step so we can return the way we came, just in case we get lost
    thats awesome, UNTIL your batteries die, or your break your phone from slipping on the trail, or... yea catch my drift.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey