Thread: Early Ouray Outing - Middle Oak

Early Ouray Outing - Middle Oak

Middle Oak Creek July 31, 2013

A lower than average snowpack and an early season melt put some of the canyons around Ouray, Colorado into prime condition for July canyoning although heavy rains at the beginning of our week almost turned an early Ouray into an ornery Ouray. The rain let up for a couple of days with water levels dropping significantly, allowing us to safely enter Middle Oak creek.
    Our intention was to combine Middle and Lower into a one day project but by mid-afternoon as we approached the end of Middle Oak the dark clouds were moving in and we lost our sun. We hopped out at the trail that divides middle from lower.
    Middle Oak by itself is a blast. It is one waterfall after another with plenty of wet down climbs. One does get wet doing this canyon. We rebuilt several anchors and we used a 210 foot doubled rope for the 80 foot waterfall.

Thanks to Michael Dallin for all the beta in his book Ouray Canyoning

Thanks to my Canyoneering partners Sandra, Dave, Monica, Kurt, Kari for a fantastic time.

My video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg3Whkr28HM
    Attached Images Attached Images                                            
    Last edited by french_de; 12-26-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: fixed text lost during migration
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very nice!

For class C, as a practice do you rig contingency anchors every time?

Excellent! I always love the Ouray trip reports.
    --Cliff

Blog Entries
    Another Doug French classic TR. Always a good read and more pics than most TRs.

Thanks!

One of these years, Ill make it I swear...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Very nice!

Well, we did not...perhaps we should have. One thing to note is that a lot of water hitting you from 80 feet hurts. The advice to wear baseball caps to help keep the water off your face was really good advice. Ouray canyons are at 10,000 ft., be ready for the hike up.

Very nice!

If you mean by a top belay of some sort, we don't use a contingency anchor. Traditionally we have always used a bottom belay for everyone but first man down. Not to say we wouldn't in the future for deep water..etc...

Quote Originally Posted by davehuth View Post
    Well, we did not...perhaps we should have. One thing to note is that a lot of water hitting you from 80 feet hurts. The advice to wear baseball caps to help keep the water off your face was really good advice. Ouray canyons are at 10,000 ft., be ready for the hike up.
    I haven't done very many class C canyons yet, but many that do seem to advise using a contingency so you can quickly lower someone down if they get in trouble (before they drown).

I really like the cap idea! Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by french_de View Post
    If you mean by a top belay of some sort, we don't use a contingency anchor. Traditionally we have always used a bottom belay for everyone but first man down. Not to say we wouldn't in the future for deep water..etc...
    No, not belay. The actual anchor.

Nice report Doug! Great photos!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

No, not belay. The actual anchor.
    I meant connecting a belay device like a figure 8 to the top anchor on the blocked side to allow an emergency lowering if required. I have seen it done with a munter mule also.

Quote Originally Posted by french_de View Post
    I meant connecting a belay device like a figure 8 to the top anchor on the blocked side to allow an emergency lowering if required. I have seen it done with a munter mule also.
    Yes, this is definitely a good idea on class C canyons. Mr Murphy likes to visit at the most inopportune times. You are under the gun much more when you are getting pounded by water. It's a good idea if the person manning the top knows how to quickly prepare and lower the person on rappel. Many times, you don't need to lower all the way to the ground; just enough to get to a safe place to correct whatever the problem was. (For example, the moving water wraps the rope around someones foot, and the plastic straps on the 5.10 canyoneers bind the rope and don't let you shake it off. This stuff does happen...)