Thread: Flash Flood in Mystery Canyon

Flash Flood in Mystery Canyon

We did Mystery Canyon on Monday July 22nd. This was our second time this year. Our first time we started to late, moved to slow, and reached the first big rappel right at dark. We made it out in the dark and after the shuttles stopped running, minus 1 gopro and 120 ft less of my brand new rope. So this time we started early, moved much faster and we doing great. We made it to mystery springs around 5pm and had plenty of time to finish with a good time. Well when we all were down from this rappel it started to rain. So we made good time to the last rappel into the narrows. At this time we set the rope but the pull rope was tangled. I said lets not waste time I will head down while they would untangle the pull rope. As I started down the flow was normal, very little flow. I did not even make it 10 ft and the flow was already growing. When I was a quarter of the way down they were yelling at me from the top. All I heard was left so I looked left and the waterfall was now at least 10 ft tall. The funny part was I might of worked my way under it but thought it was to dirty. I took my time getting down and had no problems. Once I was in the narrows the waterfall was landing 3/4 of the way across the river. My group said the water level on top was above the anchor at its peak. I stayed hooked to the rope just to be safe. The water level was not rising so I thought I just need to wait for the rain to stop. My group and the other group of 6 were safe on high ground. after about 45 min. the rain stops and the waterfall is going down. Im thinking all is well and we will be out soon. Just as the flow of the waterfall is low enough the narrows starts flashing. Im watching the river come up, a ton of debris and now I am worried. There yelling from the top but I cant here them. I was finally able to climb up onto a nice ledge and wait it out. Maybe another 45 min go by and the level is going back down. I yell back up for them to start sending people down. When Lena got down I got one of the best hugs ever. I don't know who was more worried, me or them. We made it out with no more issues. When we reached the shuttle there was a ranger waiting. She asked if we were one of the mystery groups, she had heard 1 person made it down and the others were still up there. I told her that was me and our group was out and the next group was coming down now. There is just something about this canyon for us. I wonder if there will be a third time.

2. Likes pikan, Bclark29 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds like you're damn lucky. An "early" start put you at mystery springs at 5? During the monsoon? You move waaaayyyyy too slow. That situation sounds like it could have been much, much worse.

Btw, pics, or it didn't happen.

5. Likes Bclark29 liked this post

7. Likes Bclark29 liked this post

9. Likes pikan liked this post
    Who cares about the canyon, we wanna see the flash!

11. Likes Don, Bclark29, edsbay, summitseeker, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by iflycr500 View Post
    So this time we started early, moved much faster and we doing great. We made it to mystery springs around 5pm ...
    First off, nice job getting this canyon done twice in a season. Those permits are hard to come by. Not picking or anything, I can see that you have a young crew so awesome getting the kids through such a significant canyon. However, perhaps you need to redefine what constitutes an early start time to make the most of the daylight hours. Just saying.

Ken

We did Mystery on Sunday July 27th and the canyon was flowing about 3 cfs thruogh the upper dog leg section. It was pretty cool. I have done Mystery a couple dozen times but it was the first time that I had ever seen flow. I'll post the GoPro footage one of these days when I get it edited.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Thankfully the situation wasn't worse and allowed us to walk away wiser. The second group was wrapping up the second to last rappel when the flash started. Once it was realized things were about to get ugly cameras were tucked away. We did get to check out some crazy ephemeral waterfalls that I'll never forget. I was very thankful for the dry thermals and space blankets that were packed just in case!
    To say lesson learned on an earlier start is an understatement!
    i sure was happy to see Mark finally at the bottom! And happier still to see the paved section of the trail!

When i do Mystery i get the early shuttle 6:30 and am at the death gully by 10 at the latest usually hit the narrow by 3.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    When i do Mystery i get the early shuttle 6:30 and am at the death gully by 10 at the latest usually hit the narrow by 3.
    1st shuttle !!

17. Likes Bclark29 liked this post
    Want to see a flood?! Check this one out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=_VD5GxluHN8

19. Likes blueeyes liked this post