Thread: Looking to do Mystery Canyon between Aug 8th-16th

Looking to do Mystery Canyon between Aug 8th-16th

Looks like there are no permits available except for the lottery. We are 3 in our group, pretty fit and have all done Mystery before. If you have extra permits(3) you can spare and would like some company, we'll be happy to join you. If your looking to cancel we'll take that too if permitted.

Thanks Brian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not sure why Mystery is so popular....with the death march up, death march down the death gully, ok narrows and death march in the middle.....makes me wonder......Anyway they really should open up the quota on this canyon especially since it ends in the narrows...maybe then the mystery of why people like Mystery can be put to rest...You're best bet would be to stake out the permit page, perhaps set it as your home page on your phone browser and check every hour or so for cancellations. Thats how I've gotten permits for Mystery before.....

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
    Looks like there are no permits available except for the lottery. We are 3 in our group, pretty fit and have all done Mystery before. If you have extra permits(3) you can spare and would like some company, we'll be happy to join you. If your looking to cancel we'll take that too if permitted.

Thanks Brian
    "except for the lottery"

You are aware, I hope, that there are two levels of lottery, one already complete, and the other to distribute the other half of the permits that will take place soon -

https://zionpermits.nps.gov/lastminutedrawingapply.cfm

for Mystery especially, in season, it is unlikely that there would be permits available through any other method (except, as you requested, hooking up with someone else).

It is a great canyon, don't listen to the curmudgeons. Right up there with Behunin in my book!

"except for the lottery" is kinda like, I want to get to the battery in my car, but can't figure out how to do it except for opening the hood!

Tom

I find myself somewhere in the middle on my opinion of mystery. It's a good canyon and if you get a permit great, but there are certainly better canyons out there so don't sweat it of you don't get in. As for the lottery when I really wanted to make sure I got it I had all four people going fill out an application, increase the odds someone in your group would win.

Last minute lottery permits are not to hard to obtain mid week, particularly if you apply over several days and all members of your group apply. The only down side to this method is it can get a little pricey..... 4 people all applying for Mystery over 3 days = $60, but that will almost guarantee you a permit. With the current permit system it sucks to be poor....

No way in hell I'm hiking to the top of Mystery. A ZAC shuttle is only $25 per person, Which is not bad if you value your time as it takes 2 hours to clean your shuttle up at the end of the day.

Anyhoo... that's my two cents...

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

7. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Hi Tom,

We already entered a few submissions for the last minute lottery. Last year when we trid this we didn't get selected, but got to do mystery due to a cancellation instead. Everyday after getting back from a canyon outing i would ckeck in and ask if there was an opening for the next day.

ANONYMOUS