Thread: Sulphur Creek

Sulphur Creek

On Monday, July 29th, 2013, Steph and I took our son John down Sulphur Creek in Capitol Reef National Park.

John is 27 months old. He is a real trooper, and shares the same stoke that we have for the outdoors. He hiked as far as his little legs would take him, and replied with an emphatic “YES!” every time we asked if he was having a good time.

Sulphur Creek is a GREAT hike. It’s very scenic and peaceful. We didn’t see another person in the canyon. Our car-to-car time was 4.5 hours at a very leisurely pace. Hitchhiking to the top TH was easy. The deepest water we crossed came up to our knees.

Caution: With a toddler strapped to your back, there will be one tricky downclimb that skirts a waterfall, then later on, a challenging traverse on a different waterfall. Please, DO NOT imitate our actions by doing this route with your toddler. This is not an infant/toddler friendly hike. However, kids that have the ability to make most of the downclimbing moves will likely have a great time.

Thanks Shane for publishing some excellent beta on this fantastic route. We would not have selected this adventure before reading the recommendation on your Sulphur Creek page:

http://climb-utah.com/Capitol/sulphur.htm

Bob

Name:  noname.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  85.1 KB

Views: 554
Size:  242.7 KB

Views: 614
Size:  308.3 KB

Name:  noname2.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  337.3 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Love the pictures of your kid in the canyons. Excellent Report Bob!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Wow, John has some awesome adventure awaiting him! Great times.

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Sulphur Creek is a great one for summer. Looks like you had a great time.

One thing I don't get is every time I'm out there in summer, you see all these cars parked at the same trailhead and they all seem to be hiking Chimney Rock Trail in the full sun (the trail has almost no shade). From the same trailhead you go down Sulphur Creek where it's nice and pleasant in summer and almost never see anyone.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Video added above. At the 1:50 mark you'll see a great shot of John digging for gold.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome!

Tom

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    One thing I don't get is every time I'm out there in summer, you see all these cars parked at the same trailhead and they all seem to be hiking Chimney Rock Trail in the full sun (the trail has almost no shade). From the same trailhead you go down Sulphur Creek where it's nice and pleasant in summer and almost never see anyone.
    I believe this is because the park advertises and promotes Chimney Rock but not Sulphur Creek.

Chimney Rock is marked, has an official trail, and is noted in all the park literature. Sulphur Creek takes a little extra effort to uncover the first.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

A great little canyon hike for young ones - as long as it's not too hot and being down in the canyon certainly helps along with some nice water to cool off in. We hiked this several years ago by going upstream and then riding our bikes back down from where we stashed them at the main parking area. Took all of 10 minutes to get back down. Great way to spend a half day in the park.

15. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I believe this is because the park advertises and promotes Chimney Rock but not Sulphur Creek.
    Agree. Last time I was in Capitol Reef last summer, one of the park rangers was recommending a group go to lower Muley Twist Canyon, one of the hottest hikes in the park.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Great video. Great TR. That is my favorite CC song. One of the first ones we did many moons ago when I was in a garage band.

How small do they make the canyoneer 5.10's?
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

18. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Very Nice video Bob!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

20. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

:)

Great TR Bob, I might have to look into taking my kids down there sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    Great TR Bob, I might have to look into taking my kids down there sometime!
    Thanks! Your kids will love it.

And welcome to Bogley! Where was your avatar photo taken?

Bottom of Rocky Mouth...my wife and kids were at the bottom taking pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by french_de View Post
    How small do they make the canyoneer 5.10's?
    Small enough for John would have to be child abuse. What would people think seeing his mangled feet and missing toenails?

25. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Cool video and Pics. Love seeing people take their kids out to enjoy our world. I hope my kid enjoys things like this in the future. I hiked to twin lake this last week and had her in the carrier for about 2 hours and she like it. She is 4 months

Name:  Me and Gemma.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  122.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    Cool video and Pics. Love seeing people take their kids out to enjoy our world. I hope my kid enjoys things like this in the future. I hiked to twin lake this last week and had her in the carrier for about 2 hours and she like it. She is 4 months.
    Nice! We actually took John through Little Wild Horse at that age. Got started late in the evening, hiked down under the stars. Not easy and not recommended...

However, he thought it was great!

Name:  IMG_2514.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  66.3 KB

Cool that is a great canyon. Its been awhile since I've been through there. I think I remember a few simple climbs that would be a little more difficult with a kid straps to your body.